Zappa?

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I was never really into Zappa. This local guy did a local history show on Zappa. His early days. I'd bet that a lot of you hadn't seen/heard this part of his story...

Probably more interesting to the locals, of San Bernardino area, but still interesting none the less...

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
there's not much of his music in the video, moreso history, which, I bet you've never heard...
right. im not much up on zappa if you remember fro a thread a while back.
hes had his hands in several things in his life time. very anal about his music and demanding
of his band members. put SV through some hell as told by SV.

purpleplexi

Reaction score
Saw the Joe's Garage tour
Saw the Them or Us tour
His version of Whipping Post with Ike Willis is second to none.
Truth. Blew me away. When he announced it I thought he was taking piss as he could be scathing about other bands' songs. Then he played the shit out of it.

Generally I think Frank was so far ahead that even now large parts of the music world still haven't caught up. I try not to overuse the word genius but FZ was the genuine article.
Also I think playing with Frank did Vai's career no harm whatsoever despite their clashes.

JamminJeff

Reaction score
I was lucky to have been exposed to Frank Zappa at an early age. Being the youngest musician around older more seasoned prog and jazz players introduced me to a world of older lesser known bands and artists. It was an eye opener at the time.

It was a strange transition because at the time I was into heavier guitar centric rock and and early metal. (I still am). These older musicians I knew had all seen Zappa live in concert many times and a whole slew of other incredible bands that I was never lucky enough to see. Most of these concerts were in small venues. This was back when the audience would sit down, shut up and also realized they were NOT the show. They did have immense appreciation for what they were seeing. Different times, different people. At least I received a little osmosis from the generation before me. Sometimes when I'm working on a rock part, I find myself slipping into a Zappa lick or some linear Steve Howe run. The talent back then is humbling to say the least.

Anyway, Frank's orchestrations weren't exactly prog and hold a unique place in the pantheon of music arrangements. His musicians were all top shelf !

The album: Shut up and play yer guitar is worth a listen, especially for guitar players. It's unadulterated Zappa cutting lose and having fun.

Attachments

• 115413701.jpg
    115413701.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 0

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I love SV and his various "talks" thru the years have helped me immensely. However; I think his experiences with that band have stuck him in the key of Zappa for most of his catalog.
his use of polyrhythms throughout definitely came from Joe...

I remember when Flexible came out, it was littered w/ Zappa influence. Steve was heavy at x's, but, he still went out into outer space... It was a fun album. Then he released (Flexible's) Leftovers, which was more of the polyrhythmic stuff.

The thing I liked about it, was he covered a lot of ground, playing heavy grunt rock, to pop like Madonna, then the Zappa stuff, that, I don't really consider Jazz proper, but you know what I mean...

This one is kind of a silly kid's song, but, listen to all the styles it covers musically:

should mention, that this is meant somewhat as a parody of many of those styles, but also a tribute...

Last edited:

aikiguy

Reaction score
I have been a fan of his since 1983 when I first heard the Apostrophe album. I have a bunch of his stuff scattered about here now, but haven’t listened in years. The thing that I always really noticed about his band was the backup singers, and the emotion they exuded while performing. Unmatched IMO….

Vinsanitizer

K i T t E h !!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Always liked and respected Zappa's music, but I can only take it in small doses. The first song I ever heard was "Montana", which at the age of 16, was way above anything I'd ever heard before in terms of complexity. I believe it was the first song that sparked my interest in arrangement and production.

Last edited:

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I never got into Zappa but he's interesting for a while and then I wander away again. Just not into "outside" playing. I connect to a beautiful melody and strong harmonies of it. That doesn't generally describe much Zappa music.

I acknowledge his status as a true influencer of rock and roll and one of its most able and eloquent spokesmen when rock has been attacked by mindless fools. (***removed remarks about politics religion, etc...***)

Last edited by a moderator:

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
There is only a very specific section of Zappa I continually play over and over. Anything older than Overnite Sensation or newer than Joe's Garage really doesn't interest me.

Ps. 37

Reaction score
The album: Shut up and play yer guitar is worth a listen, especially for guitar players. It's unadulterated Zappa cutting lose and having fun.
This is one of my favorite guitar songs ever.
I can listen to it over and over and always hear something new and brilliant.

If anything cements Zappa's place in the pantheon of guitar heroes for me, it's this one:

Latest posts