Your first Marshall was...

Trelwheen

Made With Real Bacon
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The '78 2203 that I got last week LOL! I can't quit playing it, it sounds SO good! Better than I could have imagined.

Hey Smellytele, I'm Trelly
That amp'll turn yer ears to jelly....

My first Marshall was also a '78 2203, also bought the two 4x12 cabs to set it on.

My God we were a loud bunch...our ham fisted drummer played a Ludwig kit with two 26" kicks and the bassist rocked an SVT rig

Calebz

Reaction score
Random JCM800 I bought from a local guy around 1990..

God that thing was a piece of shit. 😄

Pretty sure someone had futzed around with the innards at some point.

Didn't sound bad when it wasn't eating its own parts.

That thing put me off Marshalls for a long time.

Even now, I don't use my current Marshall for anything except studio work. Recording at home, it's too loud. For gigs and rehearsals, I tend to use lightweight class D amps.

I love my SC20. But if I had to strip down to one amp, it would probably be an Orange of some sort😃

konrad gibson

Reaction score
My first Marshall was a JMP-1 pre-amp.

This was back in the days when having rack gear was the thing to do and that Marshall was a real improvement over the ADA MP1 I'd been using.

I owned it until 2014 & then sold it. That was dumb but it was mostly going unused + kids cost money :) It never gave me a problem and sounded great.
JMP 1 was cool, had in my rack, too

neikeel

Reaction score
First Marshall was a 1989 JTM45RI modded with lowered filtering and KT66 used with ‘76 chequer board 1935A. It replaced my Fender HRD that I’d been gigging with around 2000. Prior to that begged and borrowed gear and a Leak Stereo 20 using hi sensitivity input on Varislope valve preamp!!

mark123

Reaction score
Mine was a 1972 Super Bass. No tolex, modded with a fan too keep it cool. Terribly unreliable but sounded awesome and was crazy loud when it worked. It’s technically still mine but the statute of limitations denies my taking it back.

Goober23

Reaction score
A late 1960's head I got it in '77. To me at the time it was just an old beat up amp. Sounded OK to me I guess but way too loud.
Couldn't wait to save up for a SS Yamaha 50 watt combo. Dumped that Marshall ASAP for $150.00!
What an idiot!!! Now that I understand how to make Marshalls sound "right" I've spent a small fortune on them.

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
My very first Marshall was in 1985 . It was a 4" battery operated strap amp,that would entertain the masses while we partied in the neighborhood. Then I used it to preamp a bigger ampeg bass cab at home. Then came the Marshall ministack, from the mid 80s. Just like the one pictured (not mine ) The head ,with either 2- 10" or 2- 12" cabs ,can't remember exactly ,with a Digitech effects thingamabob. That little Marshall was apartment loud for 13 Watts ,or whatever it was.

nndhfjxkqh4js5c7cwdd.jpg

Latest posts