Your Favorite Marshall Amp

rykus

Reaction score
1986 plexi bass 50w from '68 but they stayed pretty much the same till 73 r so.. my 73 is awesome too...runner up is the '76 MKII Bass 50w master volume for me. Old circut plus a master love it!!

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
1977 2203 with the 4ohm tap NFB wire KT88's and a couple other tweaks l don't understand.It's been threatened to be stolen many times.lf l lived on the street l'd carry it around with me
The KT88's directly retrofit the 6550's it came with, of course with some rebiasing. Every Marshall Schematic I've ever seen has thee NFB on the 4 ohm lug btw. I think you may have a stock 2203........just like God and Nature intended.

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
View attachment 116336

which diodes did you pull.... just for future reference?
Aw cool.......okay; first some disclaimers. One, I have no idea as to your skillset or if your thinking of taking it in to have it done. It was a pain in the ass, but I'm not a professional. Also it won't turn it into an 800, just a little nice version of itself.
I also have to warn that there are three schematics, three different circuit boards for this amp. Mine was not attainable (I think it was the C version) but I was able to translate the one that was most similar, so please bear that in mind. Also note that I left the diodes in place, lifting one end and shrink wrapping the end I pulled up. You also may be tempted to bypass C2 as it looks like a tone killer right from the start. Don't; It sounds crappy that way, so just leave it like it is.
So, starting from the input jack I just disconnected one end of ZD1 and ZD2 which you can see are in series and connected to R1. A lot of time has gone by but looking at this I'd have disconnected the two at R1 instead of ground but I'd really have to see your amp to know for sure what I'd do.
See D1 in series with R6. There were a few variations of this depending which board - A,B or C - you have. I'm pretty sure I disconnected R6 from the circuit and left it on the ground. That's where I stopped.
After that you can see a small bridge rec with a 4007 wrapped around it, between VR2 and V2b. If I was a pro I'd have pulled them too but I don't have the experience with PCB's to do that. They're all just signal clippers anyway, like in a fuzz, not providing actual "gain" just breaking up the signal, so what the hell? if I kept the amp I'd have had a pro pull that as well.
Hope this helps.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Man! That is a rough question. I’ve been inside hundreds of Marshall’s. I have a Black Bat 1976 Super Lead Friedman modded into a Kitchen Sink that was one of his first with a killer output transformer. But my favorite is this JMP below that I modded around 2018. Was a 2203. The guitar is straight in.

lenheyvan

Reaction score
I have a few Marshalls amps. I think that my favorite is either the Marshall 2555x Silver Jubilee or the 2466 Vintage Modern. I would take those even over my 2203 and 2204.

What is your favorite Marshall amp?
Hi!

I like the old 1959slp or 1987. I like them because they are easy to modify, especially in the handwired period. (I don't have the money to buy such expensive stuff lol)

I have a Bray coco50 and it is a great amp. It does the Brawn sound right.

Just not quite the sound I want, so I did it myself, one wire mod, and changed the voicing.

This is the best sound for me right now.

J E H

Reaction score
I have a few Marshalls amps. I think that my favorite is either the Marshall 2555x Silver Jubilee or the 2466 Vintage Modern. I would take those even over my 2203 and 2204.

Trem man

Reaction score
A vintage 60's Bluesbreaker
A vintage 60's 18 watt
A vintage 60's Plexi 100 and 50
A pre 1974 Master Volume 2203 or 2204

JohnW

Reaction score
6100 30th Anniversary. Gorgeous tones, best cleans of any Marshall, my favorite crunch sounds too. Super versatile. FX loop, MIDI switching, pentode/triode modes etc.
But the sounds…love it!

mspart

Reaction score
Having little money for amps, I have a Code 50 and Origin 20 Head. I can play both through my 2x12 cab with V30s. I get a really good sound either way, but I think I like the origin 20 better. It really sounds good. Code 50 gives me more sounds without expensive pedals needed. I would like the real deal like all you have but not there, I'm just an amateur. Whatever you have, just play!!

mspart

msgdp

Reaction score
A Plexi and a JCM 800. Over the years I've been able to satisfy these tonal needs visa vis the Volume Wars by going with a Studio 15 and an SL5C and a Tsakalis Room #40 pedal. LOVED the SV20 but still way too loud to get it to give up the goods - it's really closer to a 40 watt amp.

AustinPaul

Reaction score
I can only speak to the ones I owned before my current. I had a 2205, a JVM210H, ORI20H (doesn't deserve to be on my Marshall list IMO). Mostly through my 80s 1960A, and then the Origin vertical 2x12s.

The JVM210H was my favorite of those. It just felt too delicate and fussy. Knobs were too easy to turn - that in itself drove me nuts. One day I'd love the amp, or like it, or wanted to toss it.

Fast forward to today - JTM45 RI, 4x12 Guitar Cabinets Direct - 60s replica basketweave, that I loaded with Hellatone 30s (England). It's so heads and tails, far and away, the best Marshall experience I've ever had. It's extra special. Finally, finally, I have achieved "that Marshall sound" that I've had in my head for decades.

sri

Reaction score

I got a Valvestate 8080 when they were new and I was after my first amp. Loved it, used it to death and still have it. Once in a while I get it out for old times. As for my current favourite amp, its an Astiria Dual that lives in my lounge.

SR1968

Reaction score
I have a few Marshall Amps, but recently I purchased the Marshall Silver Jubilee Mini head and matching cabinet, and what a beast of an amp and cabinet. This great amp gives you some of the best classic rock tones you could hope for (I don’t use distortion pedals).

Operacritic21

Reaction score

Marshall Triple Super Lead runs the middle stack and a Marshall Valve-State Bi-chorus 200 runs the left and right stacks. A/B switch blends both heads together or either separately. Can’t hear very well anymore :( but I can still feel it :)

Attachments

• EBEFE75D-2DC7-41BA-A294-975A1E9C84B5.jpeg
    EBEFE75D-2DC7-41BA-A294-975A1E9C84B5.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

ian flynn

Reaction score
I have 4 Marshall amps 1976 Jmp 4 hole , 1987 JCM800 2204 , 2006 JCM 2000, 2007 Vintage Modern I actually like them all haha they all are great in there own right

Latest posts