You can't knock people for having a style

junk notes

Reaction score
"Because if it's their style, and their thing, that's what it is." - YJM
Premier Guitar June 8, 2022 interview/podcast.

Plenty of funny snippets throughout;

"Angus Young used three chords - and he's, he's the best rock 'n roll guitar player ever lived." - YJM

"Eric Clapton played five notes for seventy years - but I love him anyway." - YJM

haha! :applause:he is comically good!

RCM 800

Reaction score
I always appreciated his skill as a guitarist, but I swear the more I learn about the guy the more interesting he is to me.

Kind of lust after a YJM Marshall too.
He is very much who he is. He doesnt turn it off. If you see him at the mall he is there in his ruffled shirt and leather pants looking like capt Jack in the Apple Store lol. While I think its kinda insane I also admire that what you see is what you get. Not really my style but he is a fantastic player. I kinda wish he would have done more in the context of a rock band instead of just the guitar virtuoso stuff, I think I would enjoy him more. Like I really like Vai's DLR era stuff but not so much his solo stuff.

Moony

Reaction score
I hope it's ok to drop that video here - I've just watched it and think it's a good one.
And it fits the topic "trying to play as good as your guitar heroes":

RCM 800

Reaction score
Sometimes I kinda wish that we wouldnt have pigeon holed ourselves into so many different genres and sub genres of rock and roll. I look at guys ike Jimmy Page and he never made the same song twice. Heck Page never even had the same guitar tone twice on vinyl that I can think of. Just pure creativity and doing what you want not whats expected of you. That is fucking cool. I often knock Metallica for not staying in 1987 but I can understand them wanting the freedom to do what they want creatively (even if it sucks lol).

Moony

Reaction score
Just pure creativity and doing what you want not whats expected of you. That is fucking cool.

As long as it feels good.
You just can't invent something completely new soundwise every single time if we're talking about traditional electric guitar sounds (from clean to high gain) - unless it doesn't sound like a guitar anymore.

I think the main problem is that once people fall in love with a band's sound and music, they don't want the band to evolve and do something different.
The fans have sometimes developed such a strong connection to the band that they feel like they are a member of that band themselves (and of course they are not!) - then the band suddenly does something completely different and it feels like they are disconnected because they weren't included to the decision how the new song material should sound like - and of course it's often the case that you just don't like the new songs.

I'm fine with that.
I liked Metallica a lot incl. the Black album.
Everything they released later wasn't for me anymore.

The nice thing is, that music is timeless.
You can always hear the old songs, get back these feelings you had when you heard it for the first time, memories are coming back from good (or also not so good) times.
It's just fascinating how much power music has!

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Just today I got to play a YJM100 that a friend of mine bought recently. First thing was, I didn't realize, they're in a Major size head cabinet.

The output attenuator works well. The boost function works well. The gate works well. I assume the FX loop does as well but I didn't try that part out. In fact it all works well. I was fairly impressed. It sounds like a Superlead with a master volume and a good built-in overdrive. Which is what it is...pretty much.

Overall it seems to be a very well thought out amp with modern features and an old school Marshall soul.

Definitely it had nothing of a "cheap" feeling to it.

80sTone

Reaction score
Well...I think he can sometimes be over the top, but it was refreshing to hear in the first few minutes what motivates him and and the improv stuff....Reminds me (not the personality but the improv) of George Lynch - I must have seen him(Lynch) 20 times and never the same music twice.

jeffb

Reaction score
Yngwie, like Blackmore, Schenker, and some other legendary players- needs to be an equal partner in a band to be at their best- they need people to have the authority to push them as well as push back on them and keep them in check.

When they are in charge and have free reign, the music starts to get repetitive, and if it goes on long enough, turns to crap.

I saw these guys when I was a younger man and although stylistically I never wanted to attempt his shtick, Yngwie was a fantastic showman and inspired the hell out of me, just like Randy Rhoads and EVH did. His vibrato is legend,.

Tatzmann

Reaction score

Is he doing a parody of himself in this vid?
I mean, really?:scratch:

Tatzmann

Reaction score
Definitely it had nothing of a "cheap" feeling to it.

Dont take the "top down":p, means dont look
inside, it has nothing to do with a traditional
1959, computer innards, ribbons, the typical
modern Marshall stuff.

It might sound good, idk, but to me the electronics of it are not desirable.

Latest posts