Would like your thoughts on this neck.

Flag

Reaction score
Yes, this is a very cheap neck and I bought it knowing that. most times on these it's crap fret jobs.. so I really don't care as I probably will move to something else. the shame is the neck other than this is very nice. the problem is, frets 17-22 are off pretty bad...so I'm sure it's the reason it was 40 bucks....lol. to fix this right, I'd have to mount to my CNC, plane the fretboard off, removing the frets first, of course. then buy or make a new one the correct way. but I have other necks I can make work if needed. all frets are right other than the ones I've mentioned, it's just the camera making them look off.

So as players or builders, if this was you.....would you even screw with this? or being where it is, do you chord on these frets anyway and not even notice if not pointed out?

Attachments

• dummy.JPG
    dummy.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 23

RCM 800

Reaction score
could you put in some super wide frets and crown them towards the nut to compensate? Its funny but Ive never checked the intonation beyond about the 14th. But I also rarely play beyond the boxes at the 12th and 14th. I wonder how audible it would be being that out?

Flag

Reaction score
could you put in some super wide frets and crown them towards the nut to compensate? Its funny but Ive never checked the intonation beyond about the 14th. But I also rarely play beyond the boxes at the 12th and 14th. I wonder how audible it would be being that out?
Not sure what it would sound like, but I'm concerned to mate it with the body which I still need to cutout. I'm leaning away from it now, just too much work to do and it sound bad up there. but fat frets would be something, thanks. you'd be surprised how many necks aren't to the proper scale, even on some great guitars. it's something that you'd never think to check before buying one too.

Last edited:

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
That's a $40 peice of firewood. Better yet, an under the bed or at the door security system to bonk an intruder with.

Good luck trying to get a crown compensated perfectly. IMO it's just not worth the trouble but it is a lesson learned.

Some things you just don't go cheap on. Shoes, matresses, guitar necks.....etc....

Bummer.

V-man

Reaction score
That neck prof would have to feel like your dick in your hand to spend money truing up unless it’s a sole educational experience/challenge.

Flag

Reaction score
Better plan now, gave it to my neighbor for his broken headstock on a cheap Strat. he says no biggie because he never plays past the 12th fret anyway....LMAO. I had another neck in the back room I forgot I had .......just needs a couple little thing done and it will do....but thanks to all of you, I enjoy making my own stuff and always screwing with something anyway.

Flag

Reaction score
That's a $40 peice of firewood. Better yet, an under the bed or at the door security system to bonk an intruder with.

Good luck trying to get a crown compensated perfectly. IMO it's just not worth the trouble but it is a lesson learned.

Some things you just don't go cheap on. Shoes, matresses, guitar necks.....etc....

Bummer.
To be honest, I've found a few cheaper necks that worked out really good. shit happens sometimes tho...lol

saxon68

VIP in training. J/K
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, this is a very cheap neck and I bought it knowing that. most times on these it's crap fret jobs.. so I really don't care as I probably will move to something else. the shame is the neck other than this is very nice. the problem is, frets 17-22 are off pretty bad...so I'm sure it's the reason it was 40 bucks....lol. to fix this right, I'd have to mount to my CNC, plane the fretboard off, removing the frets first, of course. then buy or make a new one the correct way. but I have other necks I can make work if needed. all frets are right other than the ones I've mentioned, it's just the camera making them look off.

So as players or builders, if this was you.....would you even screw with this? or being where it is, do you chord on these frets anyway and not even notice if not pointed out?
I’d go buy a new Charvel, lol.

Sorry man hadda do it.

RLW59

Reaction score

You could pull the misplaced frets (and maybe all of them down to the 12th), fill the empty slots with strips of contrasting wood, and have an "avant-garde" guitar.