Wire gauge and stranding in vintage Marshall

shakti

Reaction score
In my never-ending quest to get my clones to sound as good as my vintage Marshalls, I am going to replace some of the wire I have used. Very often I have used modern top-coated/pre-tinned wire. However, I am wondering if using vintage type stranded wire will influence the sound a little.

Some locations in the amp will be low impedance input and thus I expect little difference with different wire types, but especially in the locations where the signal is loaded easily I suspect the wire could influence the sound. Typically in modern clones I hear more extended highs and lows and a cleaner overall sound, whereas originals sound a little dirtier and with a certain mid peak which is very pleasing to the ear.

I have bought some vintage RS 16/0.2 wire, but the plastic sleeving is a touch too thin and the green colour not quite right. Furthermore, dissecting a piece of vintage pink wire from amp I counted 14 strands. Is there a typical 14 strand wire gauge, and if so, what is the correct designation/nomenclature? Does anyone know if a specific brand was used by Marshall?

Last edited:

junk notes

Reaction score
Jim is very knowledgeable on this and should likely post. This question comes up occasionally elaborating on guage wire and how it affects the speakers frequencies.. what Marshall has used and uses and what he prefers in his cab builds.

shakti

Reaction score
I don’t think a reply comes in a more perfect shape than that.

Many, many thanks, TAZIN.

Now whether it makes a difference remains to be seen.

Last edited:

shakti

Reaction score
I might as well ask here if anyone is sitting on some stuff they might want to sell. Not much is needed for an amp but typically if you can find the NOS stuff it is 100m per spool.

Seanxk

Reaction score
Jim is very knowledgeable on this and should likely post. This question comes up occasionally elaborating on guage wire and how it affects the speakers frequencies.. what Marshall has used and uses and what he prefers in his cab builds.

I could be wrong but I think the speakers weren't Southampton wire, at least not the same as the amp wiring.

Edit, very early cabs?

Latest posts