Will a “Super 800” ever come out?

V-man

Reaction score
If they release some new flagship line, they would need to think about what it "in" right now. (what is needed). Do they want a really basic amp like a 2203, or something with a ton of knobs & features? Do people still desire 50/100 watt tube amps enough? How do they deal with connections to a computer, if at all? Marshall released those mini 20w amps based off of vintage amp models.
Not likely to happen. The Studio Series is < 5 years old with a 2203X still selling on the market. They are not about to shoot their dick investing in R&D to compete with their own sales. That brings us to this:
… It [VM] just didn’t take off enough to stay on the market, whereas the JVM is still with us. I have both, along with a JCM800 and other amps, but for live use in my cover band I use the JVM. It’s the best way for me to get a wide variety of tones from the amp rather than pedals/modeling.

If I was doing an originals project or more focused genre of covers I’d love to use the single channel stuff, but the JVM is the best way for me to get solid tones for a wide variety of covers.
0 would be great, but it already exists. It’s called the Splawn Quickrod.
The JVM is still with us because it was the flagship amp that Marshall refuses to update. I think they tried hedging their bets with the JMD/Code amps and saw that was not what the market was demanding. past the 2010s, “Modern Metal” players accept the JVM but just as soon look elsewhere, while others are as content to back off the gain and the redundant/ignored features of the 410 and stick with the simpler classic Marshall sounds (Which is exactly where they took their market cues).

The JVM (as a flagship amp) is well past retirement age with 1.5 decades of service. The problem for Marshall is “then what?” If it doesn’t have more gain than a 6505/Diezel then who cares, thinks one side of the aisle and the other side has more on their hands than they find useful with the JVM. Until there is a “True ModeFour” amp: All-tube with actual JMP, JCM, JVM, and ??? channels, then there is no reward sufficient for the risk to reinvent the wheel… assuming of course enough of each side are interested in paying $3-4K for it.

nkay

Reaction score
I've tried Friedman's / Splawns, they are Marshallesque, but they are not Marshalls and don't feel/sound the same way to me. Same with EVH amps.
I've nothing wrong with the JVM, other than it is not raw enough to pull off the real JCM 800 tone, its too compressed. OD1 Orange was where I lived mostly at gain 4.
Again, it's 15 years... most in between years was all signature amps, DSL updates, studio versions of the classic amps etc.. really thought they would come up with something more 3 channel, hot rod 800, noise gate and power scaling. I think a lot of players are also looking for direct out solutions such as now a lot of amps have Torpedo/Cab Clone built in for live into FOH, or silent recording etc.., not a Direct Out with static cab sim etc..

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I've tried Friedman's / Splawns, they are Marshallesque, but they are not Marshalls and don't feel/sound the same way to me. Same with EVH amps.
I've nothing wrong with the JVM, other than it is not raw enough to pull off the real JCM 800 tone, its too compressed. OD1 Orange was where I lived mostly at gain 4.
Again, it's 15 years... most in between years was all signature amps, DSL updates, studio versions of the classic amps etc.. really thought they would come up with something more 3 channel, hot rod 800, noise gate and power scaling. I think a lot of players are also looking for direct out solutions such as now a lot of amps have Torpedo/Cab Clone built in for live into FOH, or silent recording etc.., not a Direct Out with static cab sim etc..
Agree on the Splawn's, Freidman's..., good amps, but not what I'd call the signature Marshall sound. Had my Quickrod for several years, kick ass amp, but just "different". Never owned, but played through a friend's BE100 several times, same impression. Honestly, my 2203x with the Hot Mod V2 and a few pedals does just about everything I would need to gig, if I wanted to stick with one core tone. The FX loop in the 2203x plays a big part, as that allows you to get a decent solo volume boost, vs. an 800 with no loop. The Hot Mod supplies enough gain for any rhythm tone I'd ever need, but a couple of pedals would be standing by, just in case. So, the 2203x with the Hot Mod V "is" my "Super 800".

nkay

Reaction score
Agree on the Splawn's, Freidman's..., good amps, but not what I'd call the signature Marshall sound. Had my Quickrod for several years, kick ass amp, but just "different". Never owned, but played through a friend's BE100 several times, same impression. Honestly, my 2203x with the Hot Mod V2 and a few pedals does just about everything I would need to gig, if I wanted to stick with one core tone. The FX loop in the 2203x plays a big part, as that allows you to get a decent solo volume boost, vs. an 800 with no loop. The Hot Mod supplies enough gain for any rhythm tone I'd ever need, but pedals are standing by, just in case. So, the 2203x with the Hot Mod V "is" my "Super 800".
Yes my Studio 800 with the Hotmod is my current amp. It's great, but I just miss the features of the JVM I used to have. Would like at least 50 watts too with the option to scale down.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
I've wondered this myself and swear that they have missed the boat on this ages ago.

The reissue JCM800 is over $3500 now. If they done a hot rodded version of it, I couldn't imagine the cost of it. It's not a price range the average guy can really afford.

While it isn't 100% the same as a modded JCM 800, most people are probably just going to spring for a Splawn or Friedman. I went with a Splawn because it costed far less than buying an 800 and having it modded.

The guitarist from "In Flames" has a prototype Marshall head that would be exactly what I'd want in a modded 800 platform ...but of course we'll never get a version of our own.

An 800 with the Bogner "Snorkler" mod would be awesome as well.

Gutch220

Reaction score
How should Marshall answer these three questions?
-tube amps or digital modeling?
-high wattage or low wattage?
-basic features or a ton of features?

my guess is, for the bedroom guitarist or small gigs, low wattage digital amps with a lot of features will win.
and they'll still make bare bones 100w tube amps, but in much smaller quantities, so they'll be very expensive.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Not all-tube, but one of the best "bang for the buck", and under the radar Marshalls out there, is still the JMD:1 (IMO). That amp can come "close enough" to an 800 and a JVM for gigging purposes, and is more versatile than a JVM (yes, sorry to say, but it is). Last I looked, JMD's could still be had for $500-$600.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Yes my Studio 800 with the Hotmod is my current amp. It's great, but I just miss the features of the JVM I used to have. Would like at least 50 watts too with the option to scale down.
I guess it becomes features vs actial 800 tone.
You have the hotmod, I have a Lynch Mod in mine. Thats the extra tube gain stage. Put an OD up front amd EQ in loop. Ya pretty well got it there.

nkay

Reaction score
I guess it becomes features vs actial 800 tone.
You have the hotmod, I have a Lynch Mod in mine. Thats the extra tube gain stage. Put an OD up front amd EQ in loop. Ya pretty well got it there.
Yeah but I'm also playing more cleanish stuff too lately, with chorus/delay etc.. and just easier to hit a foot switch to do it all automatically like I did on the JVM than turn off the OD pedal, turn on chorus, turn on delay, turn down my volume knob on the guitar etc... I know that's how they did it in the good old days when men were men :D :fever:

nkay

Reaction score
Not all-tube, but one of the best "bang for the buck", and under the radar Marshalls out there, is still the JMD:1 (IMO). That amp can come "close enough" to an 800 and a JVM for gigging purposes, and is more versatile than a JVM (yes, sorry to say, but it is). Last I looked, JMD's could still be had for $500-$600.
I did have a JMD:1 for awhile after I sold my JVM. It was great for what it was, I used the JVM channel to replicate OD1 Orange, but I still prefer all tube. I've tried most things and still come back to the 800. Like I said, I just wish Marshall came out with its own hotrod version with an extra preamp tube and some switching features. I had a DSL 50 that was great, but still a little shrill and missing body. The 2205 I had was also really good, but like the Jubilee with the clipping diodes as well, I still just gravitate back to the core 800 sound as what sounds and feels best to me. Just need some extra gain and some switching capabilities and maybe power scaling.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I did have a JMD:1 for awhile after I sold my JVM. It was great for what it was, I used the JVM channel to replicate OD1 Orange, but I still prefer all tube. I've tried most things and still come back to the 800. Like I said, I just wish Marshall came out with its own hotrod version with an extra preamp tube and some switching features. I had a DSL 50 that was great, but still a little shrill and missing body. The 2205 I had was also really good, but like the Jubilee with the clipping diodes as well, I still just gravitate back to the core 800 sound as what sounds and feels best to me. Just need some extra gain and some switching capabilities and maybe power scaling.
I think by the time you add switching channels and or modes not sure you still have 800 tone any more. That's why the 2205 etc. Or the JVM410 with simple ned feedback mod.
There is a member here who ABd his JVM with an 800 and there is no difference. If one wants all the bells, or channel change from clean to dirty to lead, get a JVM or 6100 or such.
JVM channel 2 Red mode is like hot rodded 800 with the neg feedback mod.
I wonder if a Jubilee on clean channel could be similar enough to an 800 with some EQing.

jimmyo

Reaction score
Sooooo……

- Keep it simple, not multi-channel
- Jcm 800 with extra pre-amp tube like the Hot Mod
- fx loop or 2nd master volume for solo volume boost
- no onboard fx

$4000 JCM900 SLX reissue anyone? Maybe rebadged as a JCM800+

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Sooooo……

- Keep it simple, not multi-channel
- Jcm 800 with extra pre-amp tube like the Hot Mod
- fx loop or 2nd master volume for solo volume boost
- no onboard fx

$4000 JCM900 SLX reissue anyone? Maybe rebadged as a JCM800+
Funny you should mention the SL-X. This was my exact thought when I sought out my SL-X, to mod it into what the OP calls a "Super 800". Then, I installed the Hot Mod V2 in my 2203x, and that, combined with a clean boost in the FX loop (achieves the same result as a 2nd master volume), and the 2203x did everything I needed. Since then, aside from a few mods, I've left the SL-X preamp alone.

Last edited:

jimmyo

Reaction score
Funny you should mention the SL-X. This was my exact thought when I sought out my SL-X, to mod it into what the OP calls a "Super 800". Then, I installed the Hot Mod V2 in my 2203x, and that, combined with a clean boost in the FX loop (achieves the same result as a 2nd master volume), and the 2203x did everything I needed. Since then, aside from a few mods, I've left the SL-X preamp alone.
That’s awesome. Sounds like we ended up somewhere similar but from opposite directions. I’m fortunate enough to have a JCM800 2203x, and SLX and a splawn quickrod. I once put a Lynch Mod in the 2203x and it sounded outstanding, but getting kinda close to where the quickrod and SLX were roaming. So I use my 2203x stock with an OD out front if I need more gain and a clean boost in the loop for solos, and use the SLX and Quickrod for two different flavors of hot rod. May put the lynch mod back in one day though.

Latest posts