Why no arrogant posters in here?

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Think about it. If nails grew from the bed up, they'd get thicker and thicker as they grow. If they grow from the cuticle forward, they will remain at the thickness they were formed at in the nail bed near the cuticle. Simple logic. And nail growth is well documented. It's not a biological mystery. Yes, they grow forward from the cuticle, not up from the bed.

I think this place is kind of short on arrogant posters because it's very much a knowledge based forum, and if you lack knowledge, you'll soon get an education that helps to cure that deficiency, and it'll usually be given rather politely.

It's hard to be wrong, arrogant about it, and continue to maintain that arrogance when subject matter experts have thoroughly debunked your mistaken beliefs beyond even your own ability to doubt them.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Stop doing that, Mitch. It's bad.
Well I haven’t hit it in a couple of years now, but the damage was done in the late 80’s, another one I like not to do is , slam the #2 screw tip into my index finger on the left hand when trying to hurry up with screwing off plywood on steel studs.

Thanks

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
Well I haven’t hit it in a couple of years now, but the damage was done in the late 80’s, another one I like not to do is , slam the #2 screw tip into my index finger on the left hand when trying to hurry up with screwing off plywood on steel studs.

Thanks

Didn't they come out with power drills a couple years ago, with battery-powered ones even more recently? lol

C-Grin

Reaction score
Many different new folks here now than in the past . A couple years back I had to dismiss / ignore this place as it had lost a lot of good members and began filling up with a bunch of morons . I slowly came back to see what was up , but still tread the waters carefully for snakes n trolls . So far all is pretty good . No , I'm not perfect , but I am peaceful , and would rather walk away from disturbed aggressive smartasses . Peace to all .
Thats around the time I joined Hmmm coincidence?

C-Grin

Reaction score

Thanks
I feel your pain my friend

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Most of the arrogant members here have moved on, stopped posting, died from Covid or just really don't care anymore.

The moderators have done well here in this online social experiment to make this so.

XTRXTR

Reaction score
Listening to Goodbye Supernova - Satriani

Remembering the time I had an ingrown nail on my big toe, got infected. Eventually had to go to the old country doc where he gave me a Novocaine shot, left the room, and came back with three nurses. They held me down, I'm on my back, he says this might sting a bit. Then he jammed one of those curved type clippers/pliers under my nail all the way to my cuticle, blood spewing out etc, I got three holding me down but I manage to arch quite high. I was shouting in tongues...something satanic likely anyway. Then he clipped and ripped it out. I think I was 12.

To this day I wear oversized shoes or sandals so that can't or will not happen ever again...ever!

When I got the clap I went to a different Doc...out of fear. I heard horror stories how they used to treat that.

MikiDord smf

Reaction score
The nail came off from the back side of the thumb, I was wrapping tape or band aids around it, so it wouldn’t catch on everything, by the time it got caught in the guitars strings, and I ripped it off.. the front of my thumb had a nice callous to it.
But the top was still kind of tender, so I kept wrapping it it with a band aide, as the new nail was coming out..
Sorry to hear about your friend, that sounds terrible.

Mitch
I understand, thx for the explanation. Regarding my neighbour, yes it's terrible and such things shouldn't happened. I don't know what went wrong, so i can only guess how it came to infection etc.

IMHO a possible reason is the change in approach after operations. They used to give high doses of antibiotics before and after the operation just in case, to prevent unwanted infection. Over time, the resistance of some bacteria to antibiotics appeared all around the world in hospitals, and then the "modern" practice is to allow antibiotics to be used only when someone has an infection, and then it may be too late.

So you were building a lot of things i guess? That is great. My skills are basic, only for some small home repairs. Since live in skyscraper there is no possibility for me to have any larger workshop or garage were i could try to make let say something more, so i can only enjoy in a small guitar related DIY.
For example should make some multi guitar stand, so I have to order from a furniture store to cut a wooden panel to certain dimensions. ( I can't do that in the apartment), then to put it together alone at least. I wish I could cut it myself from the beginning.

MikiDord smf

Reaction score
Think about it. If nails grew from the bed up, they'd get thicker and thicker as they grow. If they grow from the cuticle forward, they will remain at the thickness they were formed at in the nail bed near the cuticle. Simple logic. And nail growth is well documented. It's not a biological mystery. Yes, they grow forward from the cuticle, not up from the bed.

I think this place is kind of short on arrogant posters because it's very much a knowledge based forum, and if you lack knowledge, you'll soon get an education that helps to cure that deficiency, and it'll usually be given rather politely.

It's hard to be wrong, arrogant about it, and continue to maintain that arrogance when subject matter experts have thoroughly debunked your mistaken beliefs beyond even your own ability to doubt them.

IMHO Everything can be said in a polite way and I don't mind different opinions.
Maybe I'm still under impression plus i have no idea what was going on in the past, but for now i like it here a lot. For example i saw that there are great threads here were people help each other, beside amps which were the main reason to join in i can see that is possible to talk about other guitar related topics.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
IMHO Everything can be said in a polite way and I don't mind different opinions.
Maybe I'm still under impression plus i have no idea what was going on in the past, but for now i like it here a lot. For example i saw that there are great threads here were people help each other, beside amps which were the main reason to join in i can see that is possible to talk about other guitar related topics.
Yes this is a great forum to be a member of.. I have only been here since 2018 .. but I did lurk for a couple of years before joining.. and I have met some great internet friends here and I have also met 2 members in real life..

Cheers
Mitch

MikiDord smf

Reaction score
Listening to Goodbye Supernova - Satriani

Remembering the time I had an ingrown nail on my big toe, got infected. Eventually had to go to the old country doc where he gave me a Novocaine shot, left the room, and came back with three nurses. They held me down, I'm on my back, he says this might sting a bit. Then he jammed one of those curved type clippers/pliers under my nail all the way to my cuticle, blood spewing out etc, I got three holding me down but I manage to arch quite high. I was shouting in tongues...something satanic likely anyway. Then he clipped and ripped it out. I think I was 12.

To this day I wear oversized shoes or sandals so that can't or will not happen ever again...ever!

When I got the clap I went to a different Doc...out of fear. I heard horror stories how they used to treat that.

I'm sorry for that, I put a like, but of course I understand that it's painful and I understand completely that you now choose shoes that are a little bigger.

I worked on a project about 20 years ago, related to the protection of patients rights. So it happens that doctors make mistakes. I think that one gave a small dose of local anaesthesia or He should apply it in a several places in the base of your toe. Only when He 's sure that you don't feel the pain after some time to start the procedure, He was probably thinking that you are young and strong and He was in hurry i assume.

I'm not a surgeon, I only had many of the same subjects that are taught in medicine and worked on some projects where there were also medical doctors, so that's where I "learned" a little.
IMHO you had luck to get away without complications, it's always a risk when something is done under infection, but he had no choice i guess.

I am very sorry when people suffer. But those ingrown nails happen often. The hand cream is perfect for toes and feet. Because it is quickly absorbed into the skin and softens the skin.
Among the natural medicaments the tea tree oil is excellent. Great for toenails and hands, as well as for all skin inflammations.

It Is terrible when something like that happens and then you have the realistic trauma, i hope and wish you all the best, that one day you can beat that fear of Doc's. On the other hand if you ever go to Doc who should do anything close to your feet's let them know.

Last edited:

XTRXTR

Reaction score
I worked on a project about 20 years ago, related to the protection of patients rights. So it happens that doctors make mistakes. I think that one gave a small dose of local anaesthesia or He should apply it in a several places in the base of your toe. Only when He 's sure that you don't feel the pain after some time to start the procedure, He was problem thinking you are young and strong and He was in hurry i assume.
First thank you for the well meaning concern.

I don't know what ethics doctors are taught now but It is quite possible that in 1974 those ideas were only just beginning to be accepted. The doctor I saw in 1974 was old, like maybe 65 or older even. That puts him out of medical school, lets say he was 28 - he finished in 1937. That is back when Eugenics concepts were being discussed. I'm not saying he was one of those that bought into that. I'm just pointing out that at that time modern medicine was still in its infancy and I doubt he was subjected to much in the way of treatment of patients ethics. The main concern was to do no harm by healing.

The infection was local to the nail and not in my blood stream and he did give me penicillin pills to take afterward. I do not hold a grudge toward that doctor. I may have some trauma lingering but the brain makes you forget most of it. Finally, that is just the way things were back in the 70's as far as I know.
I'll just take it out on my guitar:shred:

Wolvieberzerker

Reaction score
I’m kind of a big deal around here.
I have many leather bound books.
My over priced studio basement apartment smells of rich mahogany.
Got a poker shack out by a swamp.

MikiDord smf

Reaction score
First thank you for the well meaning concern.

I don't know what ethics doctors are taught now but It is quite possible that in 1974 those ideas were only just beginning to be accepted. The doctor I saw in 1974 was old, like maybe 65 or older even. That puts him out of medical school, lets say he was 28 - he finished in 1937. That is back when Eugenics concepts were being discussed. I'm not saying he was one of those that bought into that. I'm just pointing out that at that time modern medicine was still in its infancy and I doubt he was subjected to much in the way of treatment of patients ethics. The main concern was to do no harm by healing.

The infection was local to the nail and not in my blood stream and he did give me penicillin pills to take afterward. I do not hold a grudge toward that doctor. I may have some trauma lingering but the brain makes you forget most of it. Finally, that is just the way things were back in the 70's as far as I know.
I'll just take it out on my guitar:shred:
Thank you, it's OK to wish to people all the best and share what We know when someone suffers, for me any sort of pain or issue nowadays or in the past are triggering an empathy.
I feel sorry when people suffer, especially if it could have been prevented or if it could have been alleviated somehow. So I apologize if I seemed to exaggerate. My parents raised me in a bit of old school way.
In the main, I am glad that you are doing well and it was long ago and that He gave you penicillin tabs. It's normal that We are remembering well of such situations, for sure i remembering well of of similar situations which have happened to me.

For example some 12 years ago a dentist gave me an injection of lidocaine and hit some gland so it was extremely painful so i've screamed - ☺. Today if I have to go to the dentist i only go to one doctor, She works slow and knows for my issue.

Patient rights came after 1948 if i remember well, as some part of human rights, on paper they sound good but in practice it's complicated and different. They should protect us and doctors because both sides can suffer.

It's great to take it out on guitar , i do that as well 😀 .Guitar is such important part of my life, they say that musicians are healthier thx to music.