Who was Ozzy’s best guitarist?

Who was Ozzy’s best guitarist during his solo career?

• Total voters

Flag

Reaction score
I think they're all really great players. I wonder how he's doing myself, if and when something happens to him.....will be a sad day for me. to me, he's the MAN!!

People come and go but Ozzy started pretty much everything I love about Rock-n-Roll and grew up on.

mark123

Reaction score
I think they're all really great players. I wonder how he's doing myself, if and when something happens to him.....will be a sad day for me. to me, he's the MAN!!

People come and go but Ozzy started pretty much everything I love about Rock-n-Roll and grew up on.
Yeah, he’s pretty ancient but I think he’s preserved by all the chemicals over the years.

It will be a sad day for me, too.

Deftone

Reaction score
Oh, I’m sorry. I thought everyone heard the outro solo in “Bark at the Moon”. Come on now.

Meh. Jake E Lee era is when I lost interest. Then the Ultimate Sin really turned me off to Ozzy. He was fat, wearing bedazzled gowns with gelled up, frosted hair. He looked more like a middle aged woman to me. Shot in the dark sucked, IMHO. The big four were coming on at this point too, Ozzy just looked like a fat old lady to me.

A couple years later I'm in a car with this girl and I hear this brutal guitar. It's making the hair on the back of my neck stand up. "WHO THE FUCK IS THAT?" She say's "It's Ozzy!" So I start looking for his guitar player and I hear some dude named Zakk Wylde.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
My vote: Sharon.

If we're talking just Jake or Brad, it's Jake by a mile. Jake had creativity, chops, and good (not great) tone.

If we're talking all Ozzy's guitar players players: Tony, Randy, Jake, Zakk, Brad. Don't like Gus-never liked Gus.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Gillis and the Speak of the Devil album was huge in high school but then again so was Randy's time and Jake. It wasn't just great rock but I can't here any song now without it taking me back.

Gillis was a hired gun. A good one though but of the choices it's Jake easy for me. Style, tone and everything.

Derek S

Reaction score
Glad this hasn't turned ugly - some dudes get offended if you don't pick the same guys they do, etc....like somebody already mentioned, none of the players listed are bad. You've never heard anyone say "man the guitar work on that Ozzy album sucked".

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I liked A Shot In The Dark best of Ozzy's 80s albums. And if Randy is not in the discussion, I've got to pick Jake E. Lee.

No More Tears stands apart. To me that was Ozzy's third career maker. I'd rate it as one of the top ten rock albums of all time.

But I don't care if I never hear a Zakk Wylde G squeal again.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Wasn't Brad just an "emergency" guitar player to fill in until they found a replacement for Randy?..as in he wasn't really one of Ozzy's guitarists..just on loan so to speak?

Either way I Like Brad alot, great guitar player.
in the guitar world we call that a "hired gun" bro.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
I posted a video somewhere around here, just the other day...

Ozzy got Bernie Torme' to fill in, but, that was immediate. It really wasn't a great fit, then he got Brad. From what I get out of it, Ozzy wanted to hire him full on, but Night Ranger had just finished recording their album. (under label contract) So, Ozzy asked if he'd finish the tour, & he told him that he had a Black Sabbath album he had to release, so Brad agreed to finish the tour & do the live album...

I don't know if Ozzy really had to release a live Sabbath album, but, Sabbath (w/ Dio) were planning on releasing one (Live Evil) & so, Ozzy & Sharon probably had to one-up them...
only reason ozzy did it was to try and beat toni to the punch of a live album.
they both had sabbath song rights. it was a very big deal that really ended up nowhere.
ive explained this story in full about 6 months ago somewhere on here.

Latest posts