Who in the U.S. can do minor repairs to really clean early 68 late 67 greenbacks?

Whatwhatringrang

Reaction score
Hi,

I have some really clean late 67 early 68 g12M 20 watt label Celestions? The came out of a very clean Marshall 4x12. The cones are real strong/new looking but original. Everything with dates and cone codes check out good. Also they sound like my other from the era. Just a couple small things with one for sure very easy looking common problem from what I read.

Everyone of the quad has original cone and has never seen much use. original cones and everything else with these. The cones are really the cleanest I have had . You Can tell they where stored right .

However with one I could hear when playing at say a really loud clean volume I like to use with Marshall’s . One has a slight problem. Loud but still clean just on very low 6th string notes low notes there is a slight problem. I took it out and only notice the ribbed part on the bottom (spider?)when taking my finger is not glued fully at spot or needs that fixed correctly. That is about all I can spot . Also maybe a dust cap tiny gap nothing major and the cleanest I have probably had of that era.

The rest sound great but I would like to have them all probably just gone thru . I do not think it major stuff at all with them and only notice on the one . Just minor upkeep. I will just put some other 20 watt in the cab for now.
I would like these not reconed as they do not need it . Or poorly restored you know it would be a waste and a shame.

Anyhow who is actually taking work right now that is a expert with these. I can wait of course but need a expert to take the job . I tried a speaker designer and boutique amp maker on the east Coast . However he is always too busy, so I do not want to ask anymore with this stuff. I know Merren is a absolute expert so maybe email him but I hear he is busy . I would have to ship cross country I think for him(not a big deal specifically for his work)

I am certain it just bottom glue at parts on the one speaker and the rest really sound great anyway. However I would prefer sending all 4 at once.

Who can properly do this with out destroying classics with life in them . These are worth it .Really only 1 has real audible problem on just lower frequency range Slightly from the ripple bottom glue (when taking and rubbing it up all around. It has no rub at all and look very clean . I play these it is important to me. I will just put other old ones in there after mailing out.

thanks everyone

Last edited:

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for something I don't remember what.
Hi,

I have some really clean late 67 early 68 g12M 20 watt label Celestions? The came out of a very clean Marshall 4x12. The cones are real strong/new looking but original. Everything with dates and cone codes check out good. Also they sound like my other from the era. Just a couple small things with one for sure very easy looking common problem from what I read.

Everyone of the quad has original cone and has never seen much use. original cones and everything else with these. The cones are really the cleanest I have had . You Can tell they where stored right .

However with one I could hear when playing at say a really loud clean volume I like to use with Marshall’s . One has a slight problem. Loud but still clean just on very low 6th string notes low notes there is a slight problem. I took it out and only notice the ribbed part on the bottom (spider?)when taking my finger is not glued fully at spot or needs that fixed correctly. That is about all I can spot . Also maybe a dust cap tiny gap nothing major and the cleanest I have probably had of that era.

The rest sound great but I would like to have them all probably just gone thru . I do not think it major stuff at all with them and only notice on the one . Just minor upkeep. I will just put some other 20 watt in the cab for now.
I would like these not reconed as they do not need it . Or poorly restored you know it would be a waste and a shame.

Anyhow who is actually taking work right now that is a expert with these. I can wait of course but need a expert to take the job . I tried a speaker designer and boutique amp maker on the east Coast . However he is always too busy, so I do not want to ask anymore with this stuff. I know Merren is a absolute expert so maybe email him but I hear he is busy . I would have to ship cross country I think for him(not a big deal specifically for his work)

I am certain it just bottom glue at parts on the one speaker and the rest really sound great anyway. However I would prefer sending all 4 at once.

Who can properly do this with out destroying classics with life in them . These are worth it .Really only 1 has real audible problem on just lower frequency range Slightly from the ripple bottom glue (when taking and rubbing it up all around. It has no rub at all and look very clean . I play these it is important to me. I will just put other old ones in there after mailing out.

thanks everyone
If I was you, I would just investigate the lifting spider a little further before sending them anywhere. The glue dries out over time and the spider becomes detached. I have fixed this problem with quite a few speakers by carefully, slightly lifting the spider where it has come detached, then using the high viscosity, flexible cyno glue, re-gluing it.
Like you said the symptom is a slight buzzing on the lower frequencies, at higher volume. Doing this cured all the speakers I had the problem with.
The other cause of this can be debris getting past the dust cover and around the coil. You say there is no coil rub, which means, especially if the dust cover is intact and original, this is probably not a problem with your speaker.

lpd

Reaction score
Merren does amazing work on speakers. Particularly vintage greenbacks. Any reputable speaker repair shop should be able to reglue the spider without making a complete mess or misaligning the cone.