Who here has HAD a “Plexi”…

matttornado

Reaction score
My 1974 Superlead is my go to amp and had it since the early 90s.
I gigged with it for years but for the past 5 years, I been gigging with a DSL combo just because it’s easier and a little more versatile.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I know now what I will still know in the future and that's why my '69 plexi is not for sale.

It's one of those amps that has such a great natural sound to it that I don't even think about running it with effects. Just plug in and go. At lower volumes its clean tone is as beautiful as it gets, and at higher levels its natural overdrive is just what I want to hear. It inspires me to play better and the longer I play it, the more I remember how to play.

I'm a total idiot with no repertoire in the first few minutes of playing but after an hour of playing I'm recalling songs that I'd forgotten I ever learned. This happens only when the amp is so inspirational that I want to play that long...long after my lack of fingertip calluses is making me pay for every note and suffer for every bend.

But it's a GOOD hurt!

If you have a plexi, never let it go until you're sure you'll never play again. You WILL regret it.

Dutallee

Reaction score
I tried the new SC 20, and it can give you the " Marshall Krang ", but it doesn't have nearly the bottom end of either of my plexi's.

90 SLP 1959
80 2203
JTM 45 w/ KT 66

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
And then I read threads like this and I think of how the plexi sits in the real world:

V-man

Reaction score
And then I read threads like this and I think of how the plexi sits in the real world:
In the “real world” something is wrong from the start when a 1959 is being “drowned out” by a bandmate’s 6505/5150. The whole thing about these and the early MV Marshalls is the exceptional brightness and mids focus that cut through the mix in the first place. How this predicament has happened is both puzzling and suspect (something odd with the settings/FX, etc), but the idea one cannot utilize a 1959 in a band setting seems to fly in the face of everything successful from the1970s-forward, including dual Marshall guitarists like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and early Metallica, to name a few that utilized plexis effectively for this purpose.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
In the “real world” something is wrong from the start when a 1959 is being “drowned out” by a bandmate’s 6505/5150. The whole thing about these and the early MV Marshalls is the exceptional brightness and mids focus that cut through the mix in the first place. How this predicament has happened is both puzzling and suspect (something odd with the settings/FX, etc), but the idea one cannot utilize a 1959 in a band setting seems to fly in the face of everything successful from the1970s-forward, including dual Marshall guitarists like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and early Metallica, to name a few that utilized plexis effectively for this purpose.
I don't know. Reading that thread makes me think the plexi can't cut it for some music and some situations in the real world unless its modified somehow or employ some kind of weird workaround (or just play along side other plexi or plexi-type amps where the situation would be more "equal". Lots of replies in that thread seem to suggest that. Quotes from that thread like "Ah, the limitations of a stock superlead....we know them well. No master volume, no effects loop, no channel switching. It makes it hard to fit them into a modern band setting" make me think long and hard about plexi amps.

I can believe settings might be an issue, but if not, then it might just be a simple case of plexi amps don't always go best with certain music unless the plexi is modified or employs some kind of awkward workaround.

It seems that thread is a good place for you to take some of the ideas expressed in the "
Who here has HAD a “Plexi”…" thread and see how it applies to what the op is trying to do and saying; it's a relevant thread because it's current and has a lot to do with plexi amps.

Last edited:

Minegoto11

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a Plexi but the next best thing.

A ‘70s Super Lead. Currently using OD pedals and Bugera PS1 Attenuator to help with the volume. These are working okay but a PS2 Power Station may be in my future.

View attachment 112948
Nice! Have you considered the Weber mass 200, . I'm using the mass lite 100 with a 1987x and getting that cranked killer tone all the way down to bedroom level

V-man

Reaction score
I don't know. Reading that thread makes me think the plexi can't cut it for some music and some situations in the real world unless its modified somehow or employ some kind of weird workaround (or just play along side other plexi or plexi-type amps where the situation would be more "equal". Lots of replies in that thread seem to suggest that.

The issue there however is not a plexi problem as it is a 2203/4 problem as it is any amp lacking an FX loop/on-board solo boost. To that end, people starting fresh have the 1959x/1987x options with factory-installed loops, they have loops for those who don’t mind modding their amps with a retrofit, and for those who do not want to mod their amp, they have multiple DI/attenuation units that provide an on board FX loop or a direct “solo boost” attenuation switch. This LITERALLY is the golden age for the NMV amps with how new technology has developed to speciffically address ANY common drawback of the NMV amp, other than expense perhaps… and even then, HW MIC amps.

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
Nice! Have you considered the Weber mass 200, . I'm using the mass lite 100 with a 1987x and getting that cranked killer tone all the way down to bedroom level
I do need to look into my options for attenuators before buying. I’ll definitely check out Weber’s attenuators.

I am kind of holding out for a hand-wired Super Lead or Super Bass.

This ‘74 amp is in really nice condition, was recently serviced, and sounds wonderful, but I will probably not be totally satisfied until I replace it with vintage hand-wired amp.

Eric'45

Reaction score
This LITERALLY is the golden age for the NMV amps with how new technology has developed to speciffically address ANY common drawback of the NMV amp, other than expense perhaps… and even then, HW MIC amps.
It really is. I own a 2245 reissue JTM45, which is not handwired, is not a Super Lead, and has only 30 Watts. But for me it is a Plexi, because it has a Plexiglass Faceplate. I nevver miss the loop, or the master Volume, or a second channel, because that Amp is perfect as it is. Yet, we still have all the options mentioned above, that is like the icing on the cake.

It's not that the days of the Plexis are over. Quite the opposite, today we can use a Plexi for everything it was designed for, in addition to all the modern stuff.

79 2203

Reaction score
My first ‘Plexi’ was a Ceriatone 1987. Tried to make it work but couldn’t handle the volume and didn’t want to put a MV on it because I already had MV amps. Also had an aversion to attenuators after a bad experience with an Ultimate Attenuator. Sold it and wish I had it back.

Then it was a 98 Superlead and same story, couldn’t handle the volume. This time I put a PPIMV on it but didn’t like the tone as much as my vintage 2203’s. Sold it.

Then it was a 74 Superlead and it was same old same old. Couldn’t handle the volume, don’t like pedal gain, didn’t want to mod a vintage amp with a MV. Sold it and really regret it.

Finally about 3 years ago I gave it one more try and bought a 71 1987. Same old story. Put it up for sale and was getting heaps of interest but saw a used Hotplate available locally at a great price and thought why not ?? Best decision eva.

I get chills thinking how close I came to selling the amp with the best crunch I’ve ever heard. I’m a ‘Plexi’-holic now.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Not sure you are in the minority here. Starting fresh, they may be the best option for the player’s jam space given the room size and cost, but they don’t seem to offer much of a solution for one who already has a large amp. Modern attenuation offers tons of options and features to make a 50-100w amp more usable than the 20w at all volume levels for a fraction of the price.

In fact, Many 20 NMV users are buying attenuation anyway making the cost savings between rigs literally a couple hundred dollars apart (new SV $1,700 vs 50/100w starting out in the 2ks).

I "attenuate" my 50 watt with a 1x12 closed back with a 97db Celestion T75. My next cab will be a 4x12 with 96db Heritage G12M20's.

I just bought a Rivera Rock Crusher a few weeks ago. Everybody swears by them. I've always been sceptical but was only looking to see if i could knock a little volume off. Not for a bedroom setup. I couldn't send it back quick enough. I know there are others but it just neutered the amp even at it's minimum 3db setting. I can get that much in speaker swapping and it's a night and day difference in sound.

sct13

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try the badcat re-amp… it works quite well and does not neuter the tone….

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Try the badcat re-amp… it works quite well and does not neuter the tone….

Had one years ago. It's a good piece but it does alter your sound. That can be good or bad depending what amp it's used with. I had a Class 5. Hadn't played out in a while when suddenly I was. Needed a quick fix.

I just don't buy into any of them as being all that. Whether it's the Boss TAE or whatever is the latest. Just about every comment I read is someone using it for home. My Germino isn't a home use amp. I'd rather use a smaller cabinet and inefficient speakers with a group. I just swapped out a pair of Creambacks in my 2x12 for Greenback 25s. Those H75 Creams were too efficient and loud as hell.

Neptical

Reaction score
Proud owner just recently of a PPIMV 50watt Plexi. I can't NOT own one now. It is all the righteous, glorious tones of some of my favorite albums.

After being pushed in the vintage direction by my Origin 50 heads, honestly - I'm even more impressed with the Origins. Something you probably won't hear too often with a Plexi owner but I had to find out for myself. 🤟

sct13

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I’m bringing home my Jtm 45 build from band practice and I’m going to put that Lar Mar back to work and see how it goes…