Where to sell amps, etc.?

Gutch220

Reaction score
Advertise on Reverb, but sell in person with cash OUTSIDE of the reverb system. I've done this.
Same goes for ebay, Facebook marketplace, craigslist

make the same add on all four sites.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweetwater just made it possible to sell your used gear. It's similar to Reverb.
Interesting...
Says 7.5%, or no fees - if you accept store cred for payment.

Karl Brake

Reaction score
I've had good luck with Reverb: but you've got to pack well, Mark clearly fragile and which side is up, make sure the unit is fully functional, and be very honest about its condition. You get such a large pool of customers, and if you find a local buyer, you can pull your listing and sell it direct and stay legal. I really don't like connecting with customers locally, won't let them in the studio...you never know who's casing the joint. And, honestly, if there is a problem, the Reverb support thing works great 99% of the time. It's also true that post pandemic it's totally a buyer's market. People aren't flipping gear nearly so quickly.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
I haven't been having any luck selling gear in Craigslist, even far below the minimum "sold" price in Reverb.

The only luck I'm having is Facebook Marketplace, usually get a hit within a few days... Craigslist? Crickets.... Not even weirdos at this point. Oh and FYI that $600 tax thing isn't in effect (for now) so it's easy again to post to Facebook.

I'm about to list my DSL40C Vintage Edition. I listed it on Craigslist about a month or more ago and not 1 response 🤷‍♂️

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing is moving for cash on fb, or c.l. I have had pretty good luck lately just trading for other gear.

Try listing " for sale or trade for _______"....whatever you would buy with the cash, if you got cash for your item.

Amps are getting harder to sell..depending on the model of course. I bought a dsl40c for $225, and sold it for $350 just before chaos hit.

rocker68

Reaction score
" I bought a dsl40c for $225, and sold it for $350 just before chaos hit. "

This is not conducive to positive thoughts for anyone dealing with onset depression. Try to remember your not so fortunate brothers when posting of your favorable outcomes. 🤫🤫🤫
J / K
Happy New Year all.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
The usual default answer to this is craigslist. But personally, I don't want weirdos coming to my house to check the item out, as well as seeing what else I have. And if it's a large item like my Carvin half stack I want to sell, it would be a pain in the ass to have to lug it to a neutral site, plus I would need electricity.

Guitar Center is downright insulting in what they offer these days. They used to be somewhat fair, but those days are gone.

I've never used Reverb (for selling), so no comment there.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The usual default answer to this is craigslist. But personally, I don't want weirdos coming to my house to check the item out, as well as seeing what else I have. And if it's a large item like my Carvin half stack I want to sell, it would be a pain in the ass to have to lug it to a neutral site, plus I would need electricity.

Guitar Center is downright insulting in what they offer these days. They used to be somewhat fair, but those days are gone.

I've never used Reverb (for selling), so no comment there.
Well ya gotta give somewhere lol. I use CL a lot--I also have a garage where the amp/cab inquestion is set up when they arrive. No one goes in the house. Selling to GC is a loser's limp, and F the hassles of returns/claims/shipping/fees. Just can't be in a hurry.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Not to mention that big brother is watching every sale you make now. We get to pay taxes on an item we already paid sales tax on when we bought it with money we paid income tax on. 🖕
may i help you out on this TCO? not that you need it but i think we can go even more simple
than you just went and add a few visuals if folks have but a slight imagination about them.
here take a look.......

it cant get any more simple than this video above.

Weapons Man

Reaction score
And despite all of the taxation going on, the U.S. is now 31 Trillion in debt. If this keeps going (and it will) the government will eventually be unable to pay the interest on the debt because the interest payment alone will consume most of the yearly budget. When this happens.......

PowerTube44

Reaction score
And despite all of the taxation going on, the U.S. is now 31 Trillion in debt. If this keeps going (and it will) the government will eventually be unable to pay the interest on the debt because the interest payment alone will consume most of the yearly budget. When this happens.......
When this happens, they'll print more money and kick the can to the next generation. But I agree that sooner or later, there will be nowhere left to kick it. I hope this doesn't come across as political.

wakjob

Reaction score
I have 50/50 luck using Craigslist. Most people want to see, hear, play it before handing over cash to a stranger. I can't blame them.
I'm also like, "You know where I live now. So if anything goes wrong, you know where to find me."

I'm not super comfortable with people I don't know in my little apartment, but so far everyone has been super cool. They are just like us. Gear nuts.

I have just about every piece of gear I currently own on CL atm... but I might bring some to my local music store and put a few things on consignment.

Latest posts