What ODs Are You Guys Using in Front of Your Marshalls

Tincup

Reaction score
I have a lovepedal vintage modern. I use it with my sv20h. Amazing how well the guitar volume works with the pedal on either pickup. I’ve had it a while, but always used it with my fenders for my higher gain sounds. It’s simply amazing how well it works with the Marshall.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
for the past week I have been using my Klon Centaur as a boost in front of my 2205. It's there to stay for now.
Never had a real Klon but I love the JRockett klones--love to hear yours!

Past month I've tried the Dover Drive (selling--didn't bond at all), a Lovepedal OD Eleven (very dynamic and open--love) and a Beetronics Overhive (thick and fuzzy without being overbearing or taking over your guitar/amp tone--great and def a keeper)

wntbtw

Reaction score
I have a lovepedal vintage modern. I use it with my sv20h. Amazing how well the guitar volume works with the pedal on either pickup. I’ve had it a while, but always used it with my fenders for my higher gain sounds. It’s simply amazing how well it works with the Marshall.
I checked that pedal out on YouTube--very nice!

Moony

Reaction score
Never had a real Klon but I love the JRockett klones--love to hear yours!

I also don't have an original Klon Centaur.

But of all the Klones I've tried these 3 are my favorites:

proxy.phpimagehttps3a6ojd3.jpg

Tatzmann

Reaction score
Use more force at the picking hand.
So i guess a heavy ass bracelet and
heavy ring at every finger would be my
overdrive of choice. But i dont like
jewelery so back to no overdrive for me
i guess.:confused:

Rozman62

Reaction score
I've got some vintage Marshall's listed in my signature. I always liked Fulltone Fulldrive 2, Maxon 808 or SD1 stuffed in front of my Marshalls. Just picked up a Nobles ODR-1 which worked well with my Friedman. I'll have to try with the Marshall's. They've been out of rotation for a few months. I've been in Friedman & Mesa Mark V mode for a bit. Time to fire up the big iron again.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got some vintage Marshall's listed in my signature. I always liked Fulltone Fulldrive 2, Maxon 808 or SD1 stuffed in front of my Marshalls. Just picked up a Nobles ODR-1 which worked well with my Friedman. I'll have to try with the Marshall's. They've been out of rotation for a few months. I've been in Friedman & Mesa Mark V mode for a bit. Time to fire up the big iron again.
I bet that ‘79 eats OD pedals

DaDoc

Reaction score
Great thread, I love stompbox distortion!

I have three on my board:

-Maxon OD 820
-B.K. Butler Tube Driver
-Sola Sound Tone Bender MK IV "Fruit Salad" fuzz

The B.K. Butler is the one I use the most, LOVE it!
The Tone Bender is another awesome pedal, I paid a lot of $$ for it and never thought I would spend that much on a stompbox, but it was worth every penny! Think "Psychotic Reaction" type fuzz.

I also have a TS-9 Tubescreamer, but I've just never took to the tone of those, and believe me, I've tried! The Maxon OD-820 has what the original Tubescreamers are lacking in, at least to my old ears..I use it mainly for a volume boost.

The distortion pedals I use mainly with my JMP, and I just use the preamp settings on my Soldano for distortion..That is, most of the time! :naughty:

Last edited:

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't posted to this thread in over a year (I think), but things change...

By amp:

O20H ~ Boss FZ-5, BD-2, SD-1
DSL20H ~ MXR Custom Badass Modified OD, Super Badass Variac Fuzz
6101 ~ JHS 3 Series Fuzz
5002 (soon to be 4203) ~ TC Rusty Fuzz, Tube Pilot, Cinders
3210 & G215 ~ Demonfx - TS II
Haze15 ~ still nothin', perfect as is
Crate GX10 ~ who cares?

jmp45

Reaction score
The B.K. Butler is the one I use the most, LOVE it!

I concur, B.K.'s Tube Driver is my #1 go to and has been for years. I have other flavors on the board but none have the tone and feel of that pedal.

EJstrat&JVM

Reaction score
The power attenuator (Fryette etc) is more important than any pedal. Regarding gain pedals I heard a new pedal with actually character, different from the same old gain pedal, it's the Thorpy Scarlet Tunic. It's difficult to hear great OD pedals, in my list of favourite ones I will include:

-Friedman Smallbox OD
-EHX Soul food (or any Klon clone)
-Strymon Riverside
-Boss Blues driver
-Boss SD1
-Walrus Eras
-Rangemaster treble booster
-DOD 250 (but it's a lottery, they all sound different)
-Thorpy Scarlet Tunic (if your amp is too dark or not raw enough, this pedal will do the job:naughty:)

jchrisf

Reaction score
Mine are the BYOC Green Pony I built. Just a great sounding pedal.
Also my Carl Martin PlexiRanger. This is my favorite and gives me those George Lynch hot rod plexi tones with my 2204. It is a Plexi Amp in a box with a treble booster.. both independent of each other.

The BYOC Green Pony is based on the Maxon OD-820, but they've added all the obligatory Tubescreamer mods as stock options. On the outside, you'll notice they've added a NORM/THIN/FAT switch which allows you to modify the bass response and gain and a LED/NONE/Si switch that allows you to modify the clipping. On the inside, they made the Si (silicon) clipping asymmetrical and changed the value of one of the capacitors in a low pass filter so that it doesn't cut as much treble, thus reducing the dreaded mid-range hump.

mrrstrat

Reaction score
I'll jump on the pile: I use an Archer Ikon or a TS-9DX. The Ikon dries up the loose low-end in the amp and the TX-9DX gives various degrees of bite and leaves the loose low-end. I use it on a 2007 DSL 2K with 5.6K grid stoppers on the power board. I don't use them both at the same time. -depends on what I am playing. If I picked on, the Ikon hands down is the best all-in-1 general boost pedal I have found. Good for the chirpy Van Halen sound on many amps.