What ODs Are You Guys Using in Front of Your Marshalls

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought about this when reading the Tubescreamer thread...I love dirt boxes in front of all—but especially Marshall amps. Bought and sold dozens and dozens of them and I think still have at least a dozen lying around. Love to hear experiences of others...here is what I have at the moment

Maxon OD820—honeymoon period but I love this guy. Like the TS9 but more treble, more headroom...just BIGGER. Also physically larger so keep in mind
Timmy—love this, got replaced by the new Maxon OD820 but will be back. The original ‘transparent’ od
TS9–benchmark mid hump od best run low in front of an already overdriven amp
Secret Preamp—my ‘always on’ pedal at the end of the board. Not really an od, more of a compressor? I dunno—try one out, you’ll thank me.
SoloDallas Storm—like the SP, more of a compressor/boost than an OD but where the SP is subtle the Storm is like a cock punch. Tons of boost on tap and something else that changes your tone more drastically than the SP.
Archer Ikon—best ‘Klone’/Klon Cline I’ve tried. Pretty unique—not a ton of boost but I really liked it run like a TS—low gain, tone up. Great in front of my SC20 when it’s breathing a bit
Naga Viper treble booster—Rangemaster circuit apparently? Sounds ‘Sabbath-y’ to me in front of my Marshalls. I like a lot of high end to my tone and this is lacking a bit in that Dept
Tone Job EQ/booster—replaced the Detox as my ‘clean channel’ pedal. Set low it works just like your guitar volume the way it cleans up your tone. But better and actually tweakable
OCD—if I were going to a gig not knowing what I was going to have as a backline I’d bring the OCD. At home in front of anything really—played a hard rock gig once with a 100w Hiwatt in a small room and only an OCD and a wah

Trelwheen

Made With Real Bacon
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Much of the time I don't need to use overdrives. But they're good for more then just adding drive. They can help create different colors and textures too.

One of my favorites is the old Marshall DriveMaster

I've got several different iterations of Echoplex EP-3 (including an actual Echoplex)
Xotic EP Booster
Chase Tone Secret preamp
Catalinbread Naga Viper

Mesa V1 Bottle Rocket

Radial Plexitube

Maxon OD808
Maxon TBO-9

Blackstar HT Drive

Orange Bax Bangeetar

Bogner Burnley

Depending on the amp and the material to be recorded I'll use just about all of them from time to time.

My favorites tend to be the DriveMaster, the Mesa V1 and the HT Drive. When I need a lot of eq shaping I plug in the Bax.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I generally plug straight in. I want the overdrive to be intrinsic to the amplifier. If there's anything I'm using in front of the amp, it's a clean boost, my choice being a Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster. I generally don't like the sound of distortion pedals in and of themselves. But I do realize that when properly used they can be a building block in a very rich and awesome tone.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Thought about this when reading the Tubescreamer thread...I love dirt boxes in front of all—but especially Marshall amps. Bought and sold dozens and dozens of them and I think still have at least a dozen lying around. Love to hear experiences of others...here is what I have at the moment

Maxon OD820—honeymoon period but I love this guy. Like the TS9 but more treble, more headroom...just BIGGER. Also physically larger so keep in mind
Timmy—love this, got replaced by the new Maxon OD820 but will be back. The original ‘transparent’ od
TS9–benchmark mid hump od best run low in front of an already overdriven amp
Secret Preamp—my ‘always on’ pedal at the end of the board. Not really an od, more of a compressor? I dunno—try one out, you’ll thank me.
SoloDallas Storm—like the SP, more of a compressor/boost than an OD but where the SP is subtle the Storm is like a cock punch. Tons of boost on tap and something else that changes your tone more drastically than the SP.
Archer Ikon—best ‘Klone’/Klon Cline I’ve tried. Pretty unique—not a ton of boost but I really liked it run like a TS—low gain, tone up. Great in front of my SC20 when it’s breathing a bit
Naga Viper treble booster—Rangemaster circuit apparently? Sounds ‘Sabbath-y’ to me in front of my Marshalls. I like a lot of high end to my tone and this is lacking a bit in that Dept
Tone Job EQ/booster—replaced the Detox as my ‘clean channel’ pedal. Set low it works just like your guitar volume the way it cleans up your tone. But better and actually tweakable
OCD—if I were going to a gig not knowing what I was going to have as a backline I’d bring the OCD. At home in front of anything really—played a hard rock gig once with a 100w Hiwatt in a small room and only an OCD and a wah

Hey stretch...lol...about the Storm. Always been hankering after that pedal but it's quite expensive and I already do have some fine ones on my board but it still grabs my attention.
Do you find it to be an AC/DC one trick pony or can you dial up some really good stuff. Like to hear your take on it and what you use it for...if it's not too far :ot:
BP

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey stretch...lol...about the Storm. Always been hankering after that pedal but it's quite expensive and I already do have some fine ones on my board but it still grabs my attention.
Do you find it to be an AC/DC one trick pony or can you dial up some really good stuff. Like to hear your take on it and what you use it for...if it's not too far :ot:
BP
The thing is really a cock punch of a boost, no lie. It colors your tone a bit and it isn’t the quietest pedal I’ve ever had but it adds some ‘magic’ I’ve never heard before from anything else

Latest posts