Boss SD-1 or Boss SD-1 Waza

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mathias Karlsson

Reaction score
Ok. First of all, get a Legendary Tones V2 Evo to add another gain stage to your 800. That should give you enough distortion to play mean rhythm without the need for a boost pedal. Then buy a Standard Boss SD-1 new or used, they are cheap and sound great with the 800. Engage pedal for addtional cut when soloing. Done!

Why do I know this? I have the 800, the HotMod V2 and the SD-1. It works like a charm.

@David Szabados does the HotMod and maybe he can chime in.

Check this out:

Hope that helps. Cheers!

That’s cool!
Do you have any experience with the Soldano Hot Mod?
I actually have a guy in my town that could sell it to me

ampeq

Reaction score
I have a JCM 800 and now i have some pedals on my radar to push my amp for more distortion. I play fast rythm punk music.
No punk rock or pop or that kind of stuff.

I was thinking that maybe i could even stack 2 pedals for more push into the amp but then it feels like the amp is at max, and i would really like to boost in some way for minor solos or riffs that needs to stand out.
(No i have NO fx-loop and only 1 channel)

These are the pedals i have to chose from:
Digitech DOD FX40-B
Zvex Super Hard On
ProCo Turbo Rat
Boss DS-1
Catalinbread SFT
Ibanez Tubescreamer (Analogman silver mod)

What do you think would be the best setup for a nice rythmsound with ampdistortion and clarity, but if possible also have to option to boost the tone some DB.

one pedal to drive the amp and one for solo boost

This setup will be for live use.

Kind regards!
Welcome to the forum!
I'm not big on dirt pedals but this one works very good. It also gives you 2 very sort after pedals in one and both sides work great. I really like the BB side but either side can be used in many ways, from light boost to a lead drive.
http://www.ceriatone.com/horsebreaker/

David Szabados

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s cool!
Do you have any experience with the Soldano Hot Mod?
I actually have a guy in my town that could sell it to me
The Soldano Hot Mod is cool but tuned quite a bit differently than the Hot Mod V2 Evo. I actually worked with Mike Soldano himself on this design (fun fact: the V2 was originally going to be licensed as a Soldano product but then Mike retired and sold his name before the V2 was ready). Besides the use of commonly available 9 pin tubes in the V2, the original is basically like a light switch for gain - won’t clean up - and it is also tuned to be bass-heavy. When you have both the gain switches in the up position of the Evo, the bass is still about 20% less than the original Soldano and the gain is about 5% less but also it is now voiced with a different circuit running the grid to ground with some other resistor tuning. The original is noisier due to not having a grid-to ground and also because of the 6K11 tube that is used. All together, the V2’s compression effect is more controlled and not as over the top as the original. I’m really proud of how the new version sounds.

John k

Reaction score
I’m not familiar with the kind of music you’re into, so I wouldn’t know what pedal you would most benefit from. But I’m wondering why you say,…

”These are the pedals I have to choose from”

Does that mean we need to recommend one from your list?

If not, I would recommend a Sd1, (not on your list), but it’s a great pedal to use with any Marshall imo. But not as an overdrive so much, more as a clean boost imo.
I agree with the boss sd1 as an overdrive with the jcm 800 but I do feel that the ds1 does much better when combined with the boss ge7. The ge7 ads a fullness to the sound. The combination is hard to beat.

Comfort Cove

Reaction score
The best there is for pushing a Marshall for that great tight punk rock sound?
https://www.digitech.com/discontinued-products/Overdrive+Preamp+250.html
But go on Reverb or eBay and look for an OLD ONE. With the original 7114 op-amp in it.
It beautifully augments the Marshall tone without changing it. Level boost or op-amp distortion, it doesn't change the basic tonal structure of the amp, just gives you a gain mod at 1/4 the price or less!!

Yes, I have one. Yes, it's what I use. I also have modded Marshalls. It is the tits.

Reaction score
I have a JCM 800 and now i have some pedals on my radar to push my amp for more distortion. I play fast rythm punk music.

I was thinking that maybe i could even stack 2 pedals for more push into the amp but then it feels like the amp is at max, and i would really like to boost in some way for minor solos or riffs that needs to stand out.

Digitech DOD FX40-B
Zvex Super Hard On
ProCo Turbo Rat
Boss DS-1
Catalinbread SFT

What do you think would be the best setup for a nice rythmsound with ampdistortion and clarity, but if possible also have to option to boost the tone some DB.

Kind regards!
I use a JCM800 and my distortion pedal of choice is one not on your list and one I believe is the best overall distortion/overdrive pedal on the market right now. You should at least give it a try. I've had the DS-1 and many of those others you have listed and none of them cut it. Try the Fultone OCD pedal, run it out front. All the gain you could ever want. Your leads will scream like you've never heard them before. Your clean tones will brighten up also.

dannylerch

Reaction score

Digitech DOD FX40-B
Zvex Super Hard On
ProCo Turbo Rat
Boss DS-1
Catalinbread SFT

Kind regards!

I have a JCM 800 2203. I run a Pussy Melter and a Treble booster. make sure the treble booster is out front of everything. YOu can get a really rich full Marshall punk or 80s metal tone out of that.

Comfort Cove

Reaction score
P.S. No disrespect to David Szabados!! I bought one of his Hot Mod 2s, and have it in position 2 of my december 1976 Marshall 2204 (cascaded gain already). And it is also absolutely amazing and a lot less white noise than a pedal, but you asked about pedals!

slingblade

Reaction score
I have an old mk2 50. And I use a simple volume boost pedal. Actually I built it. I got the kit from build your own pedals. I think it was like 50 dollars. So if one of your pedals like the sd1 with minimal distortion added and volume up, this may do the trick.

4rend6leg

Reaction score
Sorry all you folks, someone probably wrote this already. Mathias, when you push
the high input of an 800 you will get more distortion, but not a lot of, if any, volume increase. Although, if you can live with it, the lower you set pre-volume, the more volume boost you get. An EQ-pedal might help you to boost certain frequencies that put you from rhythm to vocal level in the mix. And there's of course the old method we old guys always mention, put the guitar's vol. control into the equasion. I have an 800 also and it's often a balance/compromise without an efx-loop. But I found it well worth it. And I have to say the standard MFer's phrase : The louder the better!

Reactions: JBA

4rend6leg

Reaction score
Just came to my mind that there are "minus-" boost" pedals so you set your rhythm tone with it engaged. You switch it off you got your volume boost.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with the boss sd1 as an overdrive with the jcm 800 but I do feel that the ds1 does much better when combined with the boss ge7. The ge7 ads a fullness to the sound. The combination is hard to beat.
Yup, I also have an eq pedal in the loop, a Danelectro Fish & Chips Eq pedal. I have that on all the time. I tend to forget about it,… probably because it’s on all the time.

MAD 69

Reaction score
Grab an MXR Sugardrive and an MXR 10 Band EQ. A Timmy is also a good transparent boost for this amp.

David Burner

Reaction score
LOL, just spotted my typo.
I'm leaving it that way.....
I'll take some of that tube cream to try as well, ha ha!

I too play a 2204 in a punk rock type of band and i too struggled with the fact that there's no practical way to get the amp sound to jump in dB for leads and such... but what i have found is that just putting on an OD or distortion pedal with the trebles or tone past 12 then the amp would simply cut better through the mix. So in a way you are getting more of You without really raising the dB.

I've tried a bunch of pedals in front and so far the SD-1, Mr Black's JD 255x and the Marshall Guvnor Mk1 are sticking on my board as possible solutions to adding more gain to a 2204 that's barely going past 1 before blowing everyone's head off.

Like others said, you have to experiment as the outcome also depends on how others in the band are playing and the gear they are using. At least the 2204 is not a half-bad start ;)

nightraider43

Reaction score
Friedman Golden Pearl is best I’ve used yet. Plugged into the front end of my ‘78 JMP 2104 is pure heaven. Blows away any tube screamer I’ve ever used. Keeps the tone of the Marshall but drives it hard. You will have no regrets I promise!

scottbaierl

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I often use a vintage 1969 Plexi 100 watt live, and it is, for all practical purposes, a single channel amp as well. If you drive the amp to the point that you have really nice overdrive, your headroom drops to pretty close to zero and you cannot attain greater volume no matter what pedals you put in front of the amp. There are two scenarios that work for solos. 1. Run the amp volume wherever you want it, with whatever pedals you want to use to get the tone you like, and then use an EQ pedal for your solos to contour more mid and high frequencies into your mix. If done right, this should cause your solos to poke out a bit. 2. Dial your amp volume back to the point where the amp is just starting to breakup. use an OD pedal of your choice to provide a clean boost to get the amp into rhythm overdrive territory, and another OD pedal to add some additional clean boost on top for solos. This should get you a volume boost. You could use the EQ pedal to provide that additional clean boost and combine techniques to get yourself a volume boost and the EQ to make your solos stand out more.

Cristian Flores

Reaction score
If you like more punk distortion, Proco rat and tubescreamer as booster.
Hot mod it’s a very recomendable option, but see the Euge varlovirta recommendation

Reactions: JBA

John Stedman

Reaction score
I used to use a BOSS OD-1 with my JCM 800 2204 (before I foolishly sold it) and the only thing I've found I like better than the OD-1 is the OD-3! The OD-1 is kinda like a Tubescreamer in that it cuts your bottom end, not necessarily what you want for crunch rhythm playing, maybe for cutting through the mix for a solo. The OD-3 doesn't cut your low end near as much, if at all, it has a Tone knob, an LED that stays on and it works with single coils as well as humbuckers. For volume boost I use a TC Electronics Spark Mini (after the OD-3) turned up half way. Any higher and it's too distorted and compressed. The Spark doesn't boost as much db's as I'd like out front, you'd need an effects loop to make it more useful as a significant volume boost.

jeffb

Reaction score
Just came to my mind that there are "minus-" boost" pedals so you set your rhythm tone with it engaged. You switch it off you got your volume boost.
The Dunlop Echolplex Pre works great for this when set a bit below unity. It's like a "clean pedal". Keeps the beef, cleans up the midrange and rolls off some gain. Gives a Marshall a bit more of jacked up Fender Twin/Dual Showman feel. And gives a Orange a bit more of a Hi-Watt feel. Switch it off and you are back to full gain.

https://www.jimdunlop.com/echoplex-preamp/