What Next?

Torren61

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as amplifiers go, what's next? I mean, what can be done now? I see amps coming out with built in attenuators and that seems kinda cool. What happened with power scaling? I never had an amp with power scaling. Did it work well?

With speaker IRs, it seems like one doesn't really NEED a built in attenuator as long as you can afford a Captor X or a Suhr reactive loiad or something similar. And pedals can give you reverb and delay and gain.

What can be done that hasn't already been done really well?

The only thing I can think of is using other types of tubes that we don't normally think of in the classic amps we all use. For example, my Monkeymatic amp uses 6973 power tubes. It sounds killer. What other tubes can be used that are still affordable and readily available?

I know Otis amps uses a pair of 6CZ5’s, 6SL7’s and a 5Y3 rectifier tube for his 12 watt amplifier. Those are still available as NOS for around $15 or less. Maybe I should stock up on them...

EJstrat&JVM

Reaction score
The experiments never end. For example there is no one making speakers well connected to a spruce soundboard. The lunchbox amps are getting better but not as good as their big brothers. The Korg Nutubes still haven't found any place in the market, but maybe they will in the future.

Bamarado

Reaction score
I thing the next step is modeling amps continuing to get better and better until they are nearly indistinguishable from tube amps. There will always be some market for tube amps, but I think they'll get more boutique and pricey as modelling amps get better and more affordable. Of course there will always be holdouts, but long term, in 20 years or more modelling amp tech will be way beyond what it is now and a majority of players soon enough will have only played on those types of amps.

Trelwheen

Made With Real Bacon
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are so many different kinds of tube amps out there it's absolutely ridiculous. It's all been done, redone, and done again with strawberries on top. It grates my nerves every time I hear somebody saying "if they'd only make an amp that does etc etc etc" because if you can imagine it, it's out there.

It's fast becoming that way with modeling amps as well.

Let the amp builders tweak and mutate, slice and dice to their hearts' content.... They have to make a living

Pick your poison, crank it and spank it.

:headbanger:

EJstrat&JVM

Reaction score
On the note of Nutube, anyone tried these yet?

I wasn't impressed by those little Nutube amps, but this pedal looks kinda sweet....
I wasn't impressed with the Nutube amps, but I have never been impressed with any Vox amp. Vox is the only brand using them, why, I wonder if has got something to do with patent expiration (20 years).

PelliX

Reaction score
I wasn't impressed with the Nutube amps, but I have never been impressed with any Vox amp. Vox is the only brand using them, why, I wonder if has got something to do with patent expiration (20 years).

I love VOX amps, but the 'real' ones. VOX is now KORG owned, who also own Nutube... that's why VOX (or rather KORG) is pushing the tech in pedals. I'd be interested, but not 'new price in the shop' interested...

Frodebro

Reaction score
I thing the next step is modeling amps continuing to get better and better until they are nearly indistinguishable from tube amps. There will always be some market for tube amps, but I think they'll get more boutique and pricey as modelling amps get better and more affordable. Of course there will always be holdouts, but long term, in 20 years or more modelling amp tech will be way beyond what it is now and a majority of players soon enough will have only played on those types of amps.

That has already happened. Years ago, actually. The only thing that cannot be overcome at this point is the emotional attachment many have for tubes, which is understandable (though somewhat irrational).

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
That has already happened. Years ago, actually. The only thing that cannot be overcome at this point is the emotional attachment many have for tubes, which is understandable (though somewhat irrational).
Wrong! Those bits and bytes can sound like real amps, but so far none of them has had the FEEL of a real tube amp ime. Feel screws me up way more than sound. Tubes ftw!

Frodebro

Reaction score
Wrong! Those bits and bytes can sound like real amps, but so far none of them has had the FEEL of a real tube amp ime. Feel screws me up way more than sound. Tubes ftw!

My Mark V doesn't feel anything like my Deluxe Reverb. My Kemper and Axe-FX, through traditional cabs, can be as stiff or as saggy as I want, depending on how I adjust those parameters.

Calebz

Reaction score
This caught my attention a couple years ago as a 'what's next' type thing.

Non-modeling multi-amp. The gear nerd in me is interested, while the musician in me still maintains that tone chasing is the ultimate fool's errand.

I'm so conflicted😄

wakjob

Reaction score
My gut says the next season of regular guitar amp manufacturing will be like the new Fender 'Tone Master' series.
I'm absolutely dying waiting for Marshall's response.

I've been through enough amps to know what satisfies my tonal needs.
That newer digital modeling like the new Fender stuff is plenty good enough for me.

The SOUND is 100% there now IMO... once engineers figure out how to get real tube amp FEEL cooked into the equation, we're off to the races.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
Katana is a solid state running into regular guitar speakers.

If Marshall ditch the Code and turn out a new SS head featuring their entire collection modelled to sound that good with your speaker collection then that will sell like no other SS head they have done and maybe even sit right up there with some of their best.

They need to do that to deliver something to rival Kempers and Helix but from Marshall.

My opinion only. 🙂

junk notes

Reaction score
More power scaled heads or combos reasonably priced.

I would like to see boost feature in a NMV amp.

I would like to see high-speed casters on Marshall cabs, similar to MESA Boogie's.

I would like to see Marshall's R&D offer their next attenuator concept.

I would like to see altered circuits in the same studio series amps like they have done in the past that were offered in their vintage amps. A 67 SUPER LEAD 100 is not a 68 is not a 69.
My 2021 SV sounds like my 2019 SV. I also would like a studio series 1992. I suspect they will not be getting around to that, but that is the entire reason I have a second SV to convert and will eventually need different filtering on the mains and screens, and different component values on the board. Looking forward to the conversion!
As far as amplifiers go, what's next? I mean, what can be done now? I see amps coming out with built in attenuators and that seems kinda cool. What happened with power scaling? I never had an amp with power scaling. Did it work well?

Yes, Mojave's and Suhr Badger (18) kill. Pete Thorn corrupted me back in 2007!

edit:
What can be done that hasn't already been done really well?
plenty! :mrburns:

Last edited:

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Mark V doesn't feel anything like my Deluxe Reverb. My Kemper and Axe-FX, through traditional cabs, can be as stiff or as saggy as I want, depending on how I adjust those parameters.
Yup. But my buddies that used gen 1 PODs for 10m still hold strong opinions about what can't be done with gear they have never used tho lol

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to see altered circuits in the same studio series amps like they have done in the past that were offered in their vintage amps. A 67 SUPER LEAD 100 is not a 68 is not a 69.
My 2021 SV sounds like my 2019 SV. I also would like a studio series 1992. I suspect they will not be getting around to that, but that is the entire reason I have a second SV to convert and will eventually need different filtering on the mains and screens, and different component values on the board. Looking forward to the conversion!
How about a Studio metal panel JMP??

PowerTube44

Reaction score
There are so many different kinds of tube amps out there it's absolutely ridiculous. It's all been done, redone, and done again with strawberries on top. It grates my nerves every time I hear somebody saying "if they'd only make an amp that does etc etc etc" because if you can imagine it, it's out there.

It's fast becoming that way with modeling amps as well.

Let the amp builders tweak and mutate, slice and dice to their hearts' content.... They have to make a living

Pick your poison, crank it and spank it.

:headbanger:
You know what frustrates me about modeling, though? The top end stuff like the Helix, Fractal, Kemper, et al, brings an entire new learning curve because you have to research power amps, monitors, just the works.

I recently got a wild hair to get into Fractal stuff, but after a couple of days, I lost interest. I just don't want to deep dive this stuff at this point in my life. I have better things to occupy my mind.

I joined the Fractal forum and proposed they they should just make a half stack, with a great power amp already onboard and great speakers in the 4x12. Just a ready-made solution right out of the box. It was met with a very lukewarm reception.

This was my idea:

fractalstack2.jpg

Crikey

Reaction score
My gut says the next season of regular guitar amp manufacturing will be like the new Fender 'Tone Master' series.
I'm absolutely dying waiting for Marshall's response.

I've been through enough amps to know what satisfies my tonal needs.
That newer digital modeling like the new Fender stuff is plenty good enough for me.

The SOUND is 100% there now IMO... once engineers figure out how to get real tube amp FEEL cooked into the equation, we're off to the races.
Not in my lifetime
As orhers mentioned, i found my tone in my amp quiver
Ac30, 2210, 4100, 1987x, budda twinmaster
My tones are covered

Crikey

Reaction score
You know what frustrates me about modeling, though? The top end stuff like the Helix, Fractal, Kemper, et al, brings an entire new learning curve because you have to research power amps, monitors, just the works.

I recently got a wild hair to get into Fractal stuff, but after a couple of days, I lost interest. I just don't want to deep dive this stuff at this point in my life. I have better things to occupy my mind.

I joined the Fractal forum and proposed they they should just make a half stack, with a great power amp already onboard and great speakers in the 4x12. Just a ready-made solution right out of the box. It was met with a very lukewarm reception.

This was my idea:

View attachment 112407
Great point
The modelers fans are all “ tweakers”. They like noodling through parameters cept room size/ acoustics have a huge impact when setting the tones. That same sound you liked at homeis way different in a bigger room
Imo
Analog settings are best. I like plugging straight into the amp with limited effects

playloud

Reaction score

Has modeling improved much since the Kemper? I know extrapolating technological progress linearly is a fool's game, but I feel like the direction should at least be more optimistic at this point. It's been over 10 years!

My 2021 SV sounds like my 2019 SV. I also would like a studio series 1992. I suspect they will not be getting around to that, but that is the entire reason I have a second SV to convert and will eventually need different filtering on the mains and screens, and different component values on the board. Looking forward to the conversion!:mrburns:

The different eras is a cool idea. I hope they don't reissue any bass circuits though! That's the only thing keeping the vintage versions (somewhat) more affordable than their lead counterparts.

How about a Studio metal panel JMP??

Wouldn't that just be the SV20? From what I've heard, it's brighter and more aggressive than your typical early 70s 50/100W, let alone a plexi.

Latest posts