What Marshall am I looking for?

rauchman

Reaction score
@rauchman
The beauty of the 20 watt units, SV,SC, SJ and DSL is that you can crank them into power tube distortion without getting arrested or thrown out of a nightclub. The DSL20 is a little sifferent in that it can still get a pretty good overdrive without being fully cranked, although the power amp brakup certainly adds to it's character.

The bigger DSLs and JVMs are fully capable of achieving "full amp" sounds all in the preamp, allowing the masters to set your actual room volume. The two programmable masters are a cool feature. On the DSL40CR & 100HR, even when cranked enough to get the power tubes cookin' it doesn't necessarily add much and may even not be all that pleasing. Given only limited trials, I can't say much else about the JVMs.

And @BanditPanda
The DSL40 is only unfortunately available in combo form, IMHO, silly on Marshalls part. It would be nice also if the JVM2 series head was narrower like the 215C, instead of being 29 inches wide!

Just My $.02 & Likely Worth Much Less,
Gene

@rauchman
You don't list where you are located, but there is a JCM2000/DSL50 in Palm Desert, CA, for $500.
Just Sayin'
Gene

Excellent info! I'm in northeast NJ, and ironically, my mom just moved out of Palm Desert, CA a year ago. As for purchase, I very much appreciate the info on the DSL50, but having been burned with buying something from Reverb, and then not liking it, I now only buy used through Guitar Center, due to their 45 day return policy.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Another vote for the DSL40CR, but then I would, being an owner!
Sounds fantastic, especially when paired with another 112 cab underneath.
Works excellent with a multi-effects in 4 Cable Method, and has some MIDI switching capability.
The FX loop is serial and I have heard very few complaints about it. The JVM Series/Parallel loop gets more grumbles.
Put a Neo speaker in there and shave off some pounds.
20200308_082906-1600.jpg

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Excellent info! I'm in northeast NJ, and ironically, my mom just moved out of Palm Desert, CA a year ago. As for purchase, I very much appreciate the info on the DSL50, but having been burned with buying something from Reverb, and then not liking it, I now only buy used through Guitar Center, due to their 45 day return policy.

I think you'd be suprised at the volume available with the DSL20, especially when cranked! You could easily do the 30-45 day rental from a brick and mortar GC and not spend any $$$ except for the gas. If you get the combo, I'm betting you won't be ultimately fond of the speaker!

And oh yeah, the DSL20HR is pretty close to dirt cheap (once you beat them up for 15%), so your budget leaves plenty for other stuff and beer! :cheers: And the combo is only $100 more and fairly light, compact & portable.

And FWIW, I currently own both a DSL40CR & DSL20CR and even though the 40 is better of giving up it's goods at lower volumes, I vastly prefer many aspects of the 20. It seems that the 40 is more of a "Jack of all trades, but master of none" whereas the 20 simply excels at the few things that are impotant to me. The 40 is going up for sale, as soon as I can set aside my distaste for having to deal with ijits calling and coming to my home! :mad2:

Just Sayin'
Gene

Last edited:

Salty Rose

Reaction score
Features I would want...
At least 2 channels
FX loop without drama
Preferably, lighter is better, but know a 100w head and a 4x12 aint light
Flexibility in size for location (go from a combo to a half stack with the addition of another cabinet)
From nice cleans to dirt to high gain
Budget of around $1k

Marshall Amps I've been researching....
DSL40CR
DSL100/H/HR
DSL50
JVM205 (both head and combo)
JVM410 (both head and combo)
SV20
SC20
DSL20H

Other amps I was considering
Peavey 6150
EVH 5150III 50w

Which amp would you recommend and why?
(Edit: I read again, gathered your looking for something newer, but reading your criteria made me think of-)

Not new... But the amp that I'd recommend, that meets most of your criteria...
Marshall Artist 30.
  • Two channels.
  • Loop.
  • Very light. Half the weight (literally) of an 800 half stack.
  • Smaller- 80's mini stack. 2x12 or 4x10 cabs.
  • They made a combo version.
  • Cleans? 'Marshall' cleans, to gain that's off the chart.
  • Probably find a full mini stack for 1K.
Not top shelf gear. A bit of a compromise. Naysayers will point out there's diodes in that box. But they're in a lot of the great classic Marshalls. And you also get the EL34 power section too, like the greats. Anyways, very versatile and gig friendly, due to the features. Especially the light weight. I used one for shows with another guitar player who played a JCM 800 4103 100w amp. The 30 was fine, whereas I'd struggled in that same band, with a 2061x. The light weight and smaller footprint make it very gig friendly. And if you play lead guitar, nothing says "lead", like a stack. Made in the 80's heyday so you got 800-era vintage vibe cool guy nostalgia to-boot.;)
1966B 020 (2).jpg

Last edited:

DonP

Reaction score
(Edit: I read again, gathered your looking for something newer, but reading your criteria made me think of-)

Not new... But the amp that I'd recommend, that meets most of your criteria...
Marshall Artist 30.
  • Two channels.
  • Loop.
  • Very light. Half the weight (literally) of an 800 half stack.
  • Smaller- 80's mini stack. 2x12 or 4x10 cabs.
  • They made a combo version.
  • Cleans? 'Marshall' cleans, to gain that's off the chart.
  • Probably find a full mini stack for 1K.
Not top shelf gear. A bit of a compromise. Naysayers will point out there's diodes in that box. But they're in a lot of the great classic Marshalls. And you also get the EL34 power section too, like the greats. Anyways, very versatile and gig friendly, due to the features. Especially the light weight. I used one for shows with another guitar player who played a JCM 800 4103 100w amp. The 30 was fine, whereas I'd struggled in that same band, with a 2061x. The light weight and smaller footprint make it very gig friendly. And if you play lead guitar, nothing says "lead", like a stack. Made in the 80's heyday so you got 800-era vintage vibe cool guy nostalgia to-boot.;)
View attachment 68736

Love mine with a 4x10. But I also use a MXR 10 EQ in the loop similar to Mesa Mark series.

I also have a DSL100, 2525H and a DSL1HR. All cool amps.

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
Wow!!!!! Excellent info from everyone. Thank you!

I think I'm writing off the 20w amps as a little too light for my situation, and probably, but not definitely, the DSL100 as well. This leaves the DSL40CR (the budget option) and the JVM's. Amazing that GC has many of the JVM's for at least $1k less when used, than when new. The combo JV205 is really growing on me. We'll see, but again, thanks for all the replies....and keep them coming!
And the SC20 and SV20 will not give you the gain you want.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Wow!!!!! Excellent info from everyone. Thank you!

I think I'm writing off the 20w amps as a little too light for my situation, and probably, but not definitely, the DSL100 as well. This leaves the DSL40CR (the budget option) and the JVM's. Amazing that GC has many of the JVM's for at least $1k less when used, than when new. The combo JV205 is really growing on me. We'll see, but again, thanks for all the replies....and keep them coming!
What you describe is a JVM, get the 205 or 410 whichever fits your budget, dont get a combo it will be heavy as hell, a head and 2x12 is easier to move around. If you buy used make sure it comes with the pedal. :yesway:

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I've seen one other recommendation for a JMD:1. Since you're looking at used, I'd have to 2nd that recommendation, as it's a a highly overlooked gem of an amp. You could play an entire gig with a JMD:1, clean, rhythm, and lead, without any pedals. Although not "all tube", it has great tone, very usable onboard Fx (reverb, delay, chorus, noise gate...), and more programming capability than a JVM. If the JMD:1 isn't what you're looking for, then I'd say JVM.

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Greetings,

First post here. Sorry for the novel. I've been wanting a new amp for a while and I've always wanted a Marshall (since age 16 or so in 1986), but always thought they were too expensive and even cliche. I've gotten to a point in my life where my attitude is...f*ck it, I want a Marshall!

I'm currently playing through a mid 90's Peavey Classic 50 head into a 4 x 12. Last summer, the wife got me a Katana 100c for my b-day as well. The Katana is great as an easy practice amp with some cool features and a great form factor, but can't say I'm overwhelmed by the sound. And the Peavey, while it does have tube thump and nice crunch, I'm looking for something that go from cleans to crunch to massive gain. My only experience with Marshalls is from 20 years ago or so when I'd go to rehearsal studios and play through JCM800/900's. I liked them, but found I'd need more than what the amp could provide in gain and would have to use a pedal for that extra gain. Rather I'd be running the clean channel and use effects for the gain sounds, which didn't have me using the amp's gain sounds.

Last weekend, went to GC to look at a Boss GT1000 as a potential amp replacement. Never actually got to play with it since, when walking into the GC, I saw a guy playing a Les Paul through an amp with a glorious sound. It was a Marshall DSL40CR. I don't remember the JCM800/900's sounding like that. When the guy was done, I grabbed a Charvel DK24 and plugged into the DSL. Fantastic!!!!! This is the sound I want.

I did a lot of research on Marshalls for the duration of the weekend. Went through a bunch of pages on GC online, looking for deals in their used section. A bunch of other amps have no come on radar. I'm learning about new amp features and capabilities and how they fit into what I play and what scenarios I play in.

I haven't played out in a LOOOOONNNNGGG time, however, an old band mate got me involved in an original project that I'm really enjoying. So far, it's practicing in an attic with plans to eventually play out (if we can find a place that still supports original bands). Point being, the amp would need to accommodate playing in a 2 guitar band with a loud bass player and drummer, up to doing gigs for up to 1,000 people (I'll probably never play for 1,000 people, but ya never know, and hey, this is my fantasy so work with me here). I've been using the Katana so far for this project, and it's holding it's own, but it's not "it".

Features I would want...
At least 2 channels
FX loop without drama
Preferably, lighter is better, but know a 100w head and a 4x12 aint light
Flexibility in size for location (go from a combo to a half stack with the addition of another cabinet)
From nice cleans to dirt to high gain
Budget of around $1k

Marshall Amps I've been researching....
DSL40CR
DSL100/H/HR
DSL50
JVM205 (both head and combo)
JVM410 (both head and combo)
SV20
SC20
DSL20H

....and what I've researched
DSL40CR - Get an additional 2x12 and this would cover a lot of bases for me. Presumably, the volume can get low enough with the 20w switch enabled, that this could be used for practice, but with the additional cab, could handle small to medium venues. I've read the reverb is very weak (this is also my experience with this amp in GC). I've read some folks have issues with the FX loop, and the 6way channel switcher on can cause delays in the switching. This amp needs to come as a head also.
JCM2000/DSL100/H/HR - Since I already have a 4x12, this could work (however, I want to replace my 4x12 as well). I've read on the H and HR models, these amps have power scaling down to 50w and they all have a good master volume. Concerns of overkill here with 100w and gets away from the "lighter is better" philosophy. I've read the reverb is better on this model than the 40CR, however the switching problems from the 6 channel switch are problematic on the HR model. Have read many raves on the JCM2000 model too, however prior to 2001, have the circuit boards replaced with a newer version.
DSL50 - Haven't come across any used ones, but all reviews suggest the 50w unit sounds better than the 100w variant.
JVM205 (both head and combo) - I find this one very intriguing. 50w is the ideal max for what I'm looking for (at least I think so). There are A LOT of these in the used section on GC, ranging from $825 or so to $1,025 or so for the head, and just over $1k for the combo (is it a bad sign seeing so many of these for sale?). I have not heard this amp, but research suggests that DSL sounds can be repeated wit this amp, as well as having more "modern" sounds (not sure what that exactly means, but hey, more features is betterer). Also, zero issues with channel switching, a great reverb and very very flexible in tones with 2 FX loops. I like the idea of the combo as well. Can then also get a 2x12 to create a half stack as needed. I've read on more than 1 post though, that people who experience with this amp and the JVM410, prefer the 410 for it's tonal options. Realistically, this amp, the DSL40CR and DSL100H/HR are my leading choices currently.
JVM410 (both head and combo) - The lead guitar player in my friend's cover band uses the JS version of the head. I find the head sounds fantastic. I've never actually played through one, and not sure how much he uses all the available channel switching. Seems overkill at 100w, but there are some decent deals out there for this one. How different sounding is the non JS variant of this amp? For my purposes, should I be looking at this over the JVM205?

And then the 20w amps. Didn't really give these guys much consideration, but have read repeatedly, they will work in a band setting with a loud drummer. I'm not as well versed on the 20w'ers and not sure on the differnces between them outside of the DSL20CR, which I've played through at GC, and found it decent. Am I limiting myself using one of these vs the more powerful amps listed above? How are these distinguished from each other?
SV20
SC20
DSL20H

Other amps I was considering
Peavey 6150
EVH 5150III 50w

Which amp would you recommend and why?

Very much appreciated.....thanks!
Matter of fact hit up @Adrian R here he has a mint JVM 205H with new pedal I bet he would get you a good deal on. :yesway:

Hes a trusted member Ive done business with him through the years. :yesway:

Last edited:

rauchman

Reaction score
Matter of fact hit up @Adrian R here he has a mint JVM 205H with new pedal I bet he would get you a good deal on. :yesway:

Hes a trusted member Ive done business with him through the years. :yesway:

Thanks but....

rauchman

Reaction score
Another vote for the DSL40CR, but then I would, being an owner!
Sounds fantastic, especially when paired with another 112 cab underneath.
Works excellent with a multi-effects in 4 Cable Method, and has some MIDI switching capability.
The FX loop is serial and I have heard very few complaints about it. The JVM Series/Parallel loop gets more grumbles.
Put a Neo speaker in there and shave off some pounds.
View attachment 68735

That setup looks about perfect for my needs. What is the speaker in the cab?

Bull Rock

Reaction score
I love the Vtype! I've played tons of shows over the years with many different amps and cabs... and Imo the CR40 doesn't need a cab at all. But I would totally hook one up if someone gave me one just because I could lol. I do love 2x12s.

Last edited:

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
Here's my vote for your amp search !!
Of course i'm a little biased toward these amps as I've been playing them for years ...

But at the end of the day you can't argue with the facts , the 6101 is flat out KILLER !
If a single 12 combo is what your after , then i see no reason to settle for a "Lesser" amp .

Bottom line , these have it ALL , and do it ALL !

img-4628_orig

Latest posts