Vintage Marshall prices (as of 2023)

Garth Rocket

Reaction score
That's just funny.

Carter's don't have a great reputation when it comes to Marshalls either.

Note that this JTM-50 has attracted plenty of offers, but hasn't actually sold.
I must say Carter’s is one of my favorite guitar stores, and they usually have a decent selection of vintage amps, particularly Fenders. 20k seems very high to me, but I’ve never seen one of those for sale in any of the usual public forums. It might make sense to a retailer to offer it up for a crazy price. After all ther are crazy people out there with crazy money. Just ask Taylor Swift😂

DaDoc

Reaction score
Rancho Deluxe, Montana..3rd stone from the sun
No surprise here.

Carter's always has really nice gear, but they ask top dollar for their stuff, and they won't ship amps..That alone turns me off!

Not only has the transformer been changed, but the faceplate is cracked..Who knows what else has been done to it.

They're just asking that price because it belonged to Sturgill Simpson. I'm not interested in paying over double the price just because it was owned by a well-known musician..One can get an all-original plexi in excellent shape for a whole lot less than that if they're willing to spend some time looking.

Last edited:

DaDoc

Reaction score
And like I said, they won't ship amps! They recently went through a change of ownership, and the new owners don't seem to have it together. I think before that they would.

For my part, I'm not driving or flying from Montana to Nashville to pick something up because of what amounts to a bad business policy.

Good luck to their staying in business!

Last edited:

Whatwhatringrang

Reaction score
The dead don’t die Sturgill ? Bill Fucking Murray!

I do not really blame them for not shipping amps. The 50 watt steel chassis are not that bad to ship at all but anything can and could happen. They have location on there side for that with people where money is not even a concern with this stuff. Crazy vintage stuff worst part of all this old stuff.

Pretty easy to ship the steel chassis 50s and they are not that heavy at all but it’s luck of the draw sometimes. It’s there store and they can do what they want. I know getting a amp from another country with no international shipping is expensive and not easy to do. Then you have a couple people that you need to trust that just want the absolute most for.

I have had to drive many many hours to pickup the old aluminum chassis 100 watts. The block ends aluminum where a definite improvement but still fragile Amps to move around a lot and heavy transformers . Gravity and time with those is enough 😂

Those are different story to me than a steel chassis 50 watt. Those early aluminum chassis 100s if I ever have to sell will never be shipped . It does not take much with those folded 100 aluminum chassis to cause damage even when packed right.

I would take some price cut when trying get a rid of a amp,.. if I knew it was going to player going Thru on tour possibly who I respect there playing . Or doing a trade with a musician for another amp if both parties liked the amps and what the particular amp is what they are looking for. I am looking for a particular 67 blackflag 100 (or some 68/69/70 superleads)but trade mostly. That way both people don’t over pay and get what sound/type amp they want the sound of.

Selling and buying this old stuff is a nightmare and the worst ugliest part of it. It nice to not have to deal with all that stuff and work it out like that . Then again how often can that happen. I never liked selling music gear and it always seems even for low priced stuff at the end of the day it is all about who comes out with the most . Did i mention i dislike selling old gear.

Last edited:

brets9

Reaction score
I have the same amp in better shape and 20K is completely insane. Carters is a high end vintage shop that was orginated by a previous Gibson employee. Hopefully I will get to visit that place someday! There is nothing like an old D28 that has "it"... Tough to find one that rings and I bet they have one.

Garth Rocket

Reaction score
No surprise here.

Carter's always has really nice gear, but they ask top dollar for their stuff, and they won't ship amps..That alone turns me off!

Not only has the transformer been changed, but the faceplate is cracked..Who knows what else has been done to it.

They're just asking that price because it belonged to Sturgill Simpson. I'm not interested in paying over double the price just because it was owned by a well-known musician..One can get an all-original plexi in excellent shape for a whole lot less than that if they're willing to spend some time looking.
The thing I found very impressive about Carter’s besides the massive selection of used and vintage gear, is that they let my 14 year old son grab an early 1960’s Gretch and take it into the vintage amp room unsupervised to play. I’ve never seen any shop that was so cool about letting people try expensive gear

playloud

Reaction score

Still a ridiculous price, but I do really like the 'Sound and Fury' album. If you take nothing else from this thread, give it a listen!

DaDoc

Reaction score
The dead don’t die Sturgill ? Bill Fucking Murray!

I do not really blame them for not shipping amps. The 50 watt steel chassis are not that bad to ship at all but anything can and could happen. They have location on there side for that with people where money is not even a concern with this stuff. Crazy vintage stuff worst part of all this old stuff.

Pretty easy to ship the steel chassis 50s and they are not that heavy at all but it’s luck of the draw sometimes. It’s there store and they can do what they want. I know getting a amp from another country with no international shipping is expensive and not easy to do. Then you have a couple people that you need to trust that just want the absolute most for.

I have had to drive many many hours to pickup the old aluminum chassis 100 watts. The block ends aluminum where a definite improvement but still fragile Amps to move around a lot and heavy transformers . Gravity and time with those is enough 😂

Those are different story to me than a steel chassis 50 watt. Those early aluminum chassis 100s if I ever have to sell will never be shipped . It does not take much with those folded 100 aluminum chassis to cause damage even when packed right.

I would take some price cut when trying get a rid of a amp,.. if I knew it was going to player going Thru on tour possibly who I respect there playing . Or doing a trade with a musician for another amp if both parties liked the amps and what the particular amp is what they are looking for. I am looking for a particular 67 blackflag 100 (or some 68/69/70 superleads)but trade mostly. That way both people don’t over pay and get what sound/type amp they want the sound of.

Selling and buying this old stuff is a nightmare and the worst ugliest part of it. It nice to not have to deal with all that stuff and work it out like that . Then again how often can that happen. I never liked selling music gear and it always seems even for low priced stuff at the end of the day it is all about who comes out with the most . Did i mention i dislike selling old gear.
Whatever..And yeah, from your post I get the distinct impression you don't like selling old gear..:lol:

It IS their store, (my spell checking works, so I got "their" right) but when it comes to shipping amps, they should take notice that there's PLENTY of other stores around that have no problem with shipping vintage amps.

I have no problem myself with driving to pick something up, within reason..For a vintage plexi I would even drive up to 500 miles or so, I would actually prefer to do that, and make a fun road trip out of it along the way. But not a couple of thousand miles. In this particular case with the current gas prices being what they are, that's going to add too much dinero to the price of an already stupidly overpriced amp..In order to drive that far it would have to be an unreal low price on the amp in question, and nothing Carter's has is priced low.

And in the case of shipping high-end vintage stuff, all one has to do is insure it according to value. I can see not wanting to ship overseas, I would be leery about either shipping or buying in that case.

But in any case, I'm not going to pay 20 grand for a less-than-mint plexi with non-original parts and a cracked faceplate just because it belonged to (Insert famous musician's name here) anyhoo! and their unwillingness to ship only adds to that. :nuts:

I should also point out here that there was recently a seller over in Wa. that had a couple of Brad Whitford's plexi's for sale, and he was asking nearly half the price that Carter's is for this one..And he was quite willing to ship them as well!

If an amp is packed right, with the tubes removed and packed separately in the same box, shipping should be no problem whatsoever..But to each his own.

But shipping issues aside, the store under discussion is located in Nashville, and I suppose they know there's enough world-class musicians in town at any given time that they can likely sell their amps without having to bother with shipping them out..Hence the no-shipping policy.

It's going to be interesting to see how long it takes them to sell this one.

Last edited:

stickyfinger

Reaction score
Didn't we just see this one for sale a few months back for a lot less?

DaDoc

Reaction score
I have the same amp in better shape and 20K is completely insane. Carters is a high end vintage shop that was orginated by a previous Gibson employee. Hopefully I will get to visit that place someday! There is nothing like an old D28 that has "it"... Tough to find one that rings and I bet they have one.
They always have at least several, but bring your wallet, and it better be fat.

Yeah, I would like to visit their shop someday myself, that's one I've never been to. But I would have to already be in Nashville for some reason..I sure wouldn't make a trip there just to see the place.

From my neck of the woods, it would be closer to go someplace like Emerald City, or even some of the California vintage guitar stores, which I've never been to..I've already to Nashville on many occasions.

I do have to say I wish I had gone there when I was in town, as that would have been back before the prices went through the roof..As well as before the new owners had come in.

Last edited:

DaDoc

Reaction score
The thing I found very impressive about Carter’s besides the massive selection of used and vintage gear, is that they let my 14 year old son grab an early 1960’s Gretch and take it into the vintage amp room unsupervised to play. I’ve never seen any shop that was so cool about letting people try expensive gear
Personally, I've never been into a vintage shop that wouldn't do that. After all, they're in the business of selling guitars, and no player I know would want to buy a guitar they're not allowed to touch!

And the owners of these stores are fully aware that just because someone is not an A-list player or an obvious rich guy doesn't mean they won't buy anything.

If I ever walked into a music store and they wouldn't let me play a vintage ax, I would walk out and never go back, even if it was one I was planning to buy.

Whatwhatringrang

Reaction score
It’s just overpriced expensive old gear . Not really my biz or concern. That one is priced with the tycoons in mind lol.

There are a lot old 50 watts out there. Look for early metal face 50s same transformers and the closed choke is really the only difference. Along with changing the bias section wiring thing with some of those. With a little work,fine tuning and changing the flaw in the bias section those sound as good or better for Less money . Depends on the amp . You could buy like 5 of them and have money left over. Do the changes and keep your favorite .

I will give that a listen @ Playloud. A good take away from all this and I yeah my spelling is horrible. Maybe I should retake high school english for late night forum posts when I am killing time.

Last edited:

DaDoc

Reaction score
Yup, the early 70's amps, particularly before '74, sound fantastic!

I decided to visit Carter's website, hadn't been there in a while, and I have to admit the prices on their guitars are really no worse than anyone else's, and a bit cheaper in a lot of cases! And they will ship those.

A few of them got me wishing I had a little more disposable income right now! :lol:

Derrick111

Reaction score
Yup, the early 70's amps, particularly before '74, sound fantastic!

I never noticed any division in Marshall at 1974. I thnik that's a myth. I don't see why a '75' or '76 shouldn't sound just as fantastic as a '73 or '74... Apart from moving to PC from hand wired sometime in '73, they will all have the same circuits and transformers...

Garth Rocket

Reaction score
I never noticed any division in Marshall at 1974. I thnik that's a myth. I don't see why a '75' or '76 shouldn't sound just as fantastic as a '73 or '74... Apart from moving to PC from hand wired sometime in '73, they will all have the same circuits and transformers...
If given the choice most will go with the hand wired versions, maybe they don’t sound better, but I know my tech prefers to work on them and says they are easier to maintain.

Latest posts