V30 and G12T-75 Speaker Mix

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I've read several accounts here of mixing these speakers for a killer sound and its really got me interested. I'm still in the honeymoon phase with the 2x12 cab I built and I'm interested in trying different speaker combinations. I hear the 75 gives you more low end and lower mids and the V30 more high end and upper mids, rounding out to a very full sound. So is this what these two speakers have to compliment each other, can some of you folks confirm this? Is there anything else that can be said about this combination?

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I tried the combination and to be honest I put the cab back to stock with all V30's. The V30's have a big mid spike with a nice tight bottom end and nice top end. The 75's have next to no mids a tight big bottom end and a very very emphasized top end. A little ice picky for me. But seeing as though yours is a 2x12 it might work out ok because your ears aren't in the firing line like with my 1960A cab.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I tried the combination and to be honest I put the cab back to stock with all V30's. The V30's have a big mid spike with a nice tight bottom end and nice top end. The 75's have next to no mids a tight big bottom end and a very very emphasized top end. A little ice picky for me. But seeing as though yours is a 2x12 it might work out ok because your ears aren't in the firing line like with my 1960A cab.

Cool, keep it coming. Thats the kind of feedback I'm looking for. Thanks for the opinion.

Grunch

Reaction score
I personally don't think V30's mix well with anything. Not that I've heard anyway. They're great on their own, but they can overpower or phase cancel out other speakers. In a 2x12, I'm thinking a V30 will stomp out a G12T-75.

A good speaker to share a cab with the V30 is the G12H-30. They have the same sensitivity and similar frequency response.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
So maybe mixing V30's into a 75 cab is all but a cheap fix for a not so popular speaker?

Grunch

Reaction score
I personally wouldn't do it. You know, try it and see if you want. I think you might be disappointed though. All you're gonna hear is the V30.

I have a 4x12 G12T-75 cab and a 2x12 V30 cab. When run together the 2x12 V30 cab just about overpowers the 4x12, believe it or not. I can mic each cab, same guitar, same amp, same mic, same mic position, same preamp...and the V30 cab will track hotter at the same input gain level than any 4x12 I've compared it against. It's just a louder, punchier speaker. Great on it's own, does not play well with others.

Purgasound

Reaction score
I personally don't think V30's mix well with anything. Not that I've heard anyway. They're great on their own, but they can overpower or phase cancel out other speakers. In a 2x12, I'm thinking a V30 will stomp out a G12T-75.

A good speaker to share a cab with the V30 is the G12H-30. They have the same sensitivity and similar frequency response.

They can phase cancel out other speakers?

Phase cancellation only occurs when speakers are wired "out of phase", ie. One speakers leads are reversed from the others. The speaker itself just doesn't "phase cancel" anything on it's own.

Grunch

Reaction score
They can phase cancel out other speakers?

Phase cancellation only occurs when speakers are wired "out of phase", ie. One speakers leads are reversed from the others. The speaker itself just doesn't "phase cancel" anything on it's own.

I'm talking sound. Not actual electrical phase cancellation. Have you never heard dissimilar speakers in one cab fighting eachother?

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
well the deal is 75's can be spikey new. once they're broken in they're not toppy at all and are quite smooth. they do sound great together but because 75's are high power handling and use a TON of dope it can take years to break them in and get rid of the harsh top and stiffness that so many people "know" them for so if you want to try them i suggest getting some well worn speakers from the late 90's or early 2000's.

mine sound great but i've had new ones and spent 2 years trying to soften them to no avail so i sold them and bought some old ones lol.

Last edited:

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm talking sound. Not actual electrical phase cancellation. Have you never heard dissimilar speakers in one cab fighting eachother?
they're lower sensitivity plus have less mids (the 75's) than the V30's but otherwise they mix fine. imo they're best to have on bottom or X pattern but i wouldn't put them on top just because one, they have bigger lows and two they sound quieter because of the sensitivity.

Grunch

Reaction score
well the deal is 75's can be spikey new. once they're broken in they're not toppy at all and are quite smooth. they do sound great together but because 75's are high power handling and use a TON of dope it can take years to break them in and get rid of the harsh top and stiffness that so many people "know" them for so if you want to try them i suggest getting some well worn speakers from the late 90's or early 1000's.

mine sound great but i've had new ones and spent 2 years trying to soften them to no avail so i sold them and bought some old ones lol.

Yeah I love the G12T-75's. I prefer them over V30s.

OP, you're just gonna have to try it and see if you like it. Opinions on the net are just that...opinions.

Bloodrock

Reaction score
I've got V30's mixed with T75's in my Randall cab and it's a great combo for metal. The T75's are too sizzly and scooped for classic rock to me but the two mix great for metal IMO, less mid spike than all V30's and added low & high response.

dptone5

Reaction score
I run two 4 x 12's, one with Greenbacks and one with G12T-75's (early 90's - well broken in). Love this combination....the creamy mid-range tone of the greenbacks mixed with the 75's, that have really nice tight lows and high that are clear. Sounds great together.

LuredMaul

Reaction score
I was Suprised by my X Cab......I found Deeper but more Focused Lows, my Mids back and the top end smoothed out. Worked for my 4X12, gonna have to try it if you have an Extra Laying around.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for something I don't remember what.
I have a 1922 with a G12 75 and a V30 and the V30 is very dominant...not to the point where you can't hear the 75 though. I think one V30 in a 4 X 12 with three 75's will be perfect. I'll leave my other 4 x 12 with greenies and 75's in an X pattern though, that cab sounds killer. :dude:

keef1367

Reaction score
I have V30's and GT75's in an X in a 1960 and it sounds killer to my ear :)
But that is just my opinion you'll have to try it for yourself my friend :)

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have V30's and GT75's in an X in a 1960 and it sounds killer to my ear :)
But that is just my opinion you'll have to try it for yourself my friend :)
Agreed. i think they're a great balance when broken in.

the 75's once broken in actualy get nice chime for a modern ceramic speaker and have taught lows and SMOOTH top then the V30's once broken in are SMOOTH upper mids/punch with the articulation..... i mean i know i'm a metal guy but mixed those can do any style of semi classic music circa late 70's and up imo.

keef1367

Reaction score
Agreed. i think they're a great balance when broken in.

the 75's once broken in actualy get nice chime for a modern ceramic speaker and have taught lows and SMOOTH top then the V30's once broken in are SMOOTH upper mids/punch with the articulation..... i mean i know i'm a metal guy but mixed those can do any style of semi classic music circa late 70's and up imo.

Hell yeah as thats what I hear week in week out with the TSL cranked when playing with the band :) it sure is a great combo for me. I play everything from Pink Floyd to Muse and the Killers so a real mix :) and the give me exactly what I need :)

LuredMaul

Reaction score
I just don't see it as a Bad Combo imho either. and I play Dokken type STUFF

Cadblaster

Reaction score
I used the V30 and G12H30 combination for awhile and really liked it. Very filled out type of tone. After awhile it started sounding too bright to my ears for rythm playing. Did some A/B'ing and decided the G12H30 was too bright for me on the upper end. Went back to just playing straight V30's.

Recently got an Eminence Tonespotter(G12-65 clone) and using it with a V30. So far it's my new favorite combination,, but need to put some more hours on it. They have very similiar SPL's, so not hearing one overpower the other. Had looked at the WGS ET65, but noticed the SPL was a bit lower and feared the V30 would dominte it......

Latest posts