Utilizing HiFi Capacitors

C-Man

Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience that they'd be willing to share in utilizing HiFi types of capacitors in their builds from brands like Audyn, Mundorf, or Clarity? I'm curious as to what the different types capacitors could do in a JTM45.

neikeel

Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience that they'd be willing to share in utilizing HiFi types of capacitors in their builds from brands like Audyn, Mundorf, or Clarity? I'm curious as to what the different types capacitors could do in a JTM45.
Never really worked for me, I've still got a few Mundorfs sitting in my cap box but they did not sound that great to me.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
From what I have been told, by people far more knowledgable that myself, hifi parts are not usually the best choice for guitar amplification.

I hope some of these more learned folks chime in.

C-Man

Reaction score
Never really worked for me, I've still got a few Mundorfs sitting in my cap box but they did not sound that great to me.
This might be too specific a question, but if you kept everything else the same by using Mustards and such, but placed HiFi capacitors in the positions for the Preamp, Cathode Bypass, and the Bias Capacitors, would there be an impact on the sound? In your professional judgment, what type of sound do you think this would produce?
From what I have been told, by people far more knowledgable that myself, hifi parts are not usually the best choice for guitar amplification.

I hope some of these more learned folks chime in.
I have heard the same, but then again, the people who have told me have never tried it themselves. For example, I know George Alessandro uses them.

neikeel

Reaction score
This might be too specific a question, but if you kept everything else the same by using Mustards and such, but placed HiFi capacitors in the positions for the Preamp, Cathode Bypass, and the Bias Capacitors, would there be an impact on the sound? In your professional judgment, what type of sound do you think this would produce?

I have heard the same, but then again, the people who have told me have never tried it themselves. For example, I know George Alessandro uses them.

I am afraid I am not a professional at this and only tried a couple IIIRC in a 45/100 project and had low expectations, it did not sound right so I defaulted to RIFAs (I may have done something else too (maybe smaller choke) so I could have been unfair to them. If you already have some give it a go!

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
A guitar amp isn't meant to be a clean "amplifier", it is a generator of a certain type of sound that is anything BUT linear, flat, and clinically clean. Going with high performance audiophile capacitors that are made to be as close to "perfect" as possible is probably not the right direction to go in. Not for a guitar amp. We want certain harmonics. We want a certain EQ curve. We want some grit and character even in the very cleanest tones.

C-Man

Reaction score
Thank you Gentlemen! I'm going to give it a go. I have a few extras from my Hifi stash for my upcoming build I'd like to share. I hope I can still capture the feel, which is what concerns me. I wish I could offer you guys who constantly help the same level of expertise someday. I appreciate this feedback.

Reaction score
Try it and see what you like.
I would lean more towards non hi-fi caps in older guitar/musical instrument amps. Sometimes the cheapest parts can sound much better than even holy grail expensive parts.

I think of tube hi-fi differently than tube instrument amps.