Used Gibson Looks weird

Wenander

Reaction score
The red 1976 custom?
Sorry link on phone doesn’t work too good so checking.
If so, what’s up with the huge control cavity cover?
Yeah that one. Everything is off about it. Even the written part... says original case...can't find such hardcase from 76

BlueX

Reaction score
Would be interesting to look under the control cavity cover, and how the jack looks like.

Regarding serial number for Gibson USA below. Gibson Custom Shop in the same link, but too confusing for me to understand.

Gibson website, https://www.gibson.com/en-US/support/serial-number-search:

"Gibson USA, Gibson Acoustic, Gibson Memphis
From 1975-1977 the number is typically found on a decal on the back of the headstock. This should be an 8 digit number that can be dated by the 1st and 2nd digits as follows:

99 = 1975
00= 1976
06 = 1977

- In 1977, Gibson introduced the serialization method that we primarily use to this day at Gibson USA, Gibson Acoustic, and the Gibson Custom facility in Memphis, TN.

The serial number will be an 8 digit number impressed into the back of the headstock with "MADE IN USA" below."

Solid State

Reaction score
Looks mostly legit, I'd say. Going off the case, color, build, and that serial.

donwagar

Reaction score
It looks real to me, that's the correct type of serial number for '76. But it looks like it's had some kind of heavy mod in the control cavity. IMO that would kill the value.

Vinsanitizer

I'M ON A MEXICAN RADIO
VIP Member
Reaction score
What's the deal with the back control cover plate? I've never seen that shape before. Even the screws are bogus. What's worse is...

Is that a huge gape in the body wood where the jack goes in?? And they shoved in a home-made plate to secure the jack? Was that guitar smashed onstage? Man, the photos for this guitar are horrible.

1663342090406.png

Last edited:

Wenander

Reaction score
yeah something big has been done .... It has TWO mini toggle switches around the ton/vol controls, if im seeing that right

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the deal with the back control cover plate? I've never seen that shape before. Even the screws are bogus. What's worse is...

Is that a huge gape in the body wood where the jack goes in?? And they shoved in a home-made plate to secure the jack? Was that guitar smashed onstage? Man, the photos for this guitar are horrible.

View attachment 115277
I didn't even see that ^
I didn't think the fretboad looked very ebony . But like I said , could be the light....but it looks brown to me
yeah something big has been done .... It has TWO mini toggle switches around the ton/vol controls, if im seeing that right

Coil split switches was a popular thing to happen to 70's / 80s Les Pauls

Vinsanitizer

I'M ON A MEXICAN RADIO
VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't even see that ^
I didn't think the fretboad looked very ebony . But like I said , could be the light....but it looks brown to me ...
Yup. I figure most people wouldn't have seen it, because the photos are @ss, and specifically designed to show the defects without really "showing the defects".

My opinion on the fretboard... what I do know is that not all ebony is the blackest, some can be a tad lighter, some can even have streaks. Conversely, I've got a guitar with a rosewood board, but it's so dark and dense that it looks like ebony. So it' hard to say with such @ssy pictures.

The missing "dot" on the 'i' is consistent with information that states that Gibson removed the dot on the 'i' until late in 1976. There is much additional and interesting info available on the history of the logo, particularly the positions of the dot: the tops of modern dots are even with the top of the "G" (Standards, etc.), others were half-way above it (50's models and reissues), and others (certain 70's models) were removed entirely. This guitar's logo falls in line with '76. I also question whether it was refinished, and ultimately I'm just like, "Who TF would want to buy this thing for even $300 US?".

I can't say for sure, but my sense is that it's a real 70's Gibson that's been beat and hacked to the point where it's most likely a completely, unplayable, unusable, turd bomb.

Last edited:

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
a '76 red:

gibson-les-paul-custom-1976-2112991.jpg

gibson-les-paul-custom-1976-2112989.jpg

gibson-les-paul-custom-1976-2112992.jpg

cases were black back then. The case is newer. The control cavity is bastardized...

source:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
a '76 red:

gibson-les-paul-custom-1976-2112991.jpg

gibson-les-paul-custom-1976-2112989.jpg

gibson-les-paul-custom-1976-2112992.jpg

cases were black back then. The case is newer. The control cavity is bastardized...

source:
This..
I have an76 LP wine red. While this very likely is a Gibby,
the serial number should not be painted on quite like that.
The control cavity, as mentioned, is super huge and wrong.
Amd the gaping hole at bottom where the jack was. Good Lord man.
Case is wrong.
Toggle added - coil tap?
Serial may indicate a 76 if the whole thing is available to see.

Past that looks like a player LP. Fretboard can vary in color.

El Gringo

Reaction score
This..
I have an76 LP wine red. While this very likely is a Gibby,
the serial number should not be painted on quite like that.
The control cavity, as mentioned, is super huge and wrong.
Amd the gaping hole at bottom where the jack was. Good Lord man.
Case is wrong.
Toggle added - coil tap?
Serial may indicate a 76 if the whole thing is available to see.

Past that looks like a player LP. Fretboard can vary in color.
That's a very beautiful Wine Red Les Paul !

Latest posts