TURRET BOARD or PCB & WHY

Do You Prefer Turret Board or PCB

• Total voters

chocol8

Reaction score
I assume Suhr was joking or simply didn't think about it because I am pretty sure he knows better. Just pointing out that there is a bigger issue with wireless systems because they change the source impedance. Some systems have a "cable sim" built in to roll off some highs, but the still screw up a fuzz Face.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
PCB done right is just as good for making music as turret board.

My mid 90's Rivera Jake Studio Combo has been reliable, and the amp tech I took it to last remarked how well built it was and the high quality of parts.

Same with Mesa, Tone King, etc...

Tone and reliability are all I care about.

I'm not interested in cheap PCB for reliability issues, but they can sound really good.

matttornado

Reaction score
PCB for me... Sound wise there can be zero difference.

I no longer have an interest in spending my money on something that just "close" and have all kinds of thoughts about how I can make it more to my liking. If it doesn't blow up my skirt as is... I just walk away.

PCB is far superior in just about every other way besides tinkering/modding (or on the fly repair)... which I've lost interest in doing.
This 1000%

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Just an example of the main turret board on my current project. When installed it will be accompanied by true Point to Point & Terminal Strip assemblies ensuring a better clear signal with little if any crossover capacitance. You can clearly see some components off of the board. These are part of the Point to Point I mentioned. Many more assemblies before I finish.

This will end up being a Pandora 3 & 4 stage high gain amp with a Headfirst effects loop board I assemble in addition to a possible set of DC heaters.

Yes a PCB would take less time as it would be a simple install of the component, cut excess leads beneath the PCB, solder & it is finished.

NOTE: I have seen poor layout PCB’s with the traces too close too each other causing negative audio coloring. I have a couple friends (Known Amp builders) from around the world which agree with my ears concerning poor PCB layouts causing unwanted mids that can not be rectified unless increasing distance between traces & proper lay out.

Thanks for all of the input, please keep it coming.

David

Last edited:

DonP

Reaction score
This could go under Work Bench but I wish to hear from the players.

I am building again. I wish to know if you prefer a Turret Circuit Board or Printed Circuit Board (PCB) & why?

I have plenty of both.

Thank you ahead for your participation.

David Hopkins
I built my amps with PCBs in the late 80’s because there wasn’t an internet back then.

I used proven designs and didn’t have to worry about modifying.

If you are experimenting, I’d say turrets. If not, either.

DonP

Reaction score
Just an example of the main turret board on my current project. When installed it will be accompanied by true Point to Point & Terminal Strip assemblies ensuring a better clean signal with little if any crossover capacitance. You can clear see some components off of the board. These are part of the Point to Point I mentioned. Many more assemblies before I finish.

This will end up being a Pandora 3 & 4 stage high gain amp with a Headfirst effects loop board I assemble in addition to a possible set of DC heaters.

Yes a PCB would take less time as it would be a simple install of the component, cut excess leads beneath the PCB, solder & it is finished.

NOTE: I have seen poor layout PCB’s with the traces too close too each other causing negative audio coloring. I have a couple friends (Known Amp builders) from around the world which agree with my ears concerning poor PCB layouts causing unwanted mids that can not be rectified unless increasing distance between traces & proper lay out.

Thanks for all of the input, please keep it coming.

David

My PCB’s were hand drawn with black markers. Not pretty but no issues.

Sigs

Reaction score
On vintage Marshalls such as JTM45/100 , how did they form the leads when soldering to the turret ? were the leads cut straight ? or formed at 90 degrees and inserted into the turret and soldered.

When you talk about PCB, I have first hand experience with two PCB manufacturers, in that in one area of the PCB we required to change component values to get the boards to perform as per specification, soldering turrets are usually to J-STD-001 / IPC-A-610 Turret Terminal Soldering, but I doubt this was used in the sixties.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
I am well aware that they went PCB. I also don't believe they are well done and reliable. In my experience a Mesa can turn into a nightmare fast.
I've heard some stories but luckily never experienced them with mine.

Sorry for misunderstanding what you meant.

Reaction score
Have owned both. Have enjoyed both. Financial horrors had me selling my Dr. Z amps and some guitars in the past year. I kept the Marshall combo and nano/pedal board amps. Because they sound great, and that's all that matters. I won't be here in 50 years. I don't care if my amps are.

Besides: everything is hand wired in Heaven.

#alltubesgotoheaven

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
PC boards just make sense once your design is completely worked out and after many examples have been built and fine tuned to be the best they can be, you know what can and should remain constant and what should be left for after-the-fact tuning and adjustment. So in a case like that, a PC board with a few strategically placed turrets or eyelets for those component substitutions that allow you to tweak an amp to an individual character would seem to me to be VERY practical.

There's also the option of building a PC board with turrets populated right next to the solder pads for thru-hole components. This way for a little extra expense you've got a very moddable PC board build. Plus the turrets (or eyelets) make really handy test points.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Latest requested hand wired build. As I said I have PCB’s for the main board but guys always request the HW.

The effects loop and DC heater boards I populate myself as well but they are as you can see PCB.

David

Last edited:

XTRXTR

Reaction score
You think like I do :cool: I have my V1 close to the inputs and I use a combo of terminal strips with a turret as well as mounting some components vertically inside the chassis. I like using rack mountable chassis's

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
You think like I do :cool: I have my V1 close to the inputs and I use a combo of terminal strips with a turret as well as mounting some components vertically inside the chassis. I like using rack mountable chassis's
I like to go in when finished & use deca boxes to get exactly what I want out of each build. Oscilloscope, MM for readings are great but in the end it is my ear that signs off the work.

David