Tube availability

BlueX

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just read a note saying that export restrictions for tubes made in Russia have been lifted. Following brands mentioned: Tung-Sol, Sovtek, Electro Harmonix, Mullard and Gold Lion.

Anyone else heard of this?

BlueX

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
any sanctions regarding money have been lifted, so how would one pay for anything.
It's inconsistent, that's why I wanted to see if anyone else had heard about this.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Tube Depot has JJ’s in stock. I just ordered 2 6v6s tubes.

Moony

Reaction score
Just read a note saying that export restrictions for tubes made in Russia have been lifted. Following brands mentioned: Tung-Sol, Sovtek, Electro Harmonix, Mullard and Gold Lion.

Anyone else heard of this?

The factory in Russia is currently producing tubes.
And a big German tube seller gets them freshly produced. It takes a little bit longer because they needed to figure out new routes for delivery and the amounts are a bit smaller.
Folks on TGP said that the factory is shut down - that's just not true.

Wildeman

Reaction score
This has been beaten around for weeks, tube supply is low regardless of what they say, if you find what you need then I recommend you get it now, if the price ain't too crazy.

Moony

Reaction score
tube supply is low

I guess it's far worse in the US than in the EU.

I've followed the news for the last months and saw that all the shops run out of tubes in the US, some were even temporarily closed.
So maybe it depends on your location.

However it's not a bad idea to get some spare tubes - prices will rise even higher.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Yeah, it's like buying ammo. No point in waiting for prices to drop....because they probably won't. Just buy the tubes you need anyway and try to ignore that stabbing sensation in your wallet.

One reason I'm not actively pursuing trying to be the amp tech to the local community right now is because I want no part of having to source tubes for my customers today.

sct13

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
JJ’s are made in Slovakia … they could be taking up some slack… if there are tubes coming out of Russia then I haven’t heard of any legal changes.

BRMarshall

Reaction score
I searched for 12AX7s on Amazon yesterday evening out of curiosity. Availability is less than last summer but I did see some of the brands from Russia, EH, Mullard, Genelax - but the prices I saw were double or more what I paid for mine a year or so ago.

I have tubes for a couple changes so won’t be looking to buy now. Unless I needed a set now, I would probably wait. I waited out the ammo shortage of a decade ago, then bought when what I wanted when it went on sale and haven’t bought any since before COVID. I think patience can be your financial friend if you don’t have an immediate need. Best of luck for you folks who need tubes - available and reasonably priced.

sct13

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also … now that I think about it… suppliers (retailers) took Russian products off the shelves and are tired of sitting on them … it might be they just opened up availability and raised the prices … just because…

stickyfinger

Reaction score
The prices on EH site are crazy for Russian tubes right now. 2.5x cost of JJ. I don't think they will sell very many at 50+ for a 12ax7.

jeffb

Reaction score
Yeah, it's like buying ammo. No point in waiting for prices to drop....because they probably won't. Just buy the tubes you need anyway and try to ignore that stabbing sensation in your wallet.
Bingo. or...

Bullseye.

What has happened to tubes recently is exactly what's been going on with ammo. Prices are not going to drop.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I can reload my own ammo and reduce per-round costs. Somewhat. Or at least get match grade ammo for the same cost as the cheap stuff.

But I can't do that with old tubes!

Packerswin14

Reaction score
Tubesandmore.com is now carrying PSVANE tubes, made in China, and Western Electric is ramping up production of tubes here in the U.S. JJ is trying to increase production to meet demand. I don't see the sanctions getting lifted anytime soon, nor people's feelings about Russiah, and if the other companies can get a foothold, they may permanently become a bigger part of the market.

JzRepair

Reaction score
From what I read previously when all this started, Electro-Harmonix is an American company that owns production facilities within Russia and since they are an American company, they aren't subject the the sanctions against Russia, which suggests they jacked up the prices just because they could. It's all profit and since they own most of the tube manufacturers in Russia (and the world for that matter), they dictate their own prices and have us all by the throat with this. If someone wanted to make a killing, you should start an American tube manufacturing company, bring the "Made in the USA" stamp back and you'll make a killing!