Told To Turn It Down At GC

dro

Reaction score
Went looking for a combo amp the other day. Haven't owned a combo in a long time.
Was looking for a Fender Deluxe reverb.
Went to closest GC near me, they didn't have one. Closest thing was a non British model, AC-15.
Never played an AC-15 I liked. But I gave it a shot. Didn't quite have what I was looking for.
Salesman told me, "we don't move allot of (BIG) amps".
Really ? The last time I had combo's, they were in the 80-90 lb.+ range.
Went to next closest GC. Thay had a deluxe. Plugged in a Les Paul and began playing.
Mgr, came um and told me to turn it down. Really? "You do want to sell an amp today don't you"? "I don't play at cell phone volumes."
Gotta warm those tubes up.
Another salesman came and said, "let me move you to the vault."
Went in and played for an hour or so. came out, and a kid was playing a crappy sounding Vietnam amp. Sounded like shit, didn't know how to play, was loud as hell, WTF.
I bought the amp, Smallest, lightest combo I've ever owned. And, it gets loud enough to override the ringing in my ears.
What happened to the kids in this country? Saying used to be, If it's too loud, you're too fucking old. This kid was not much older than one of my grandkids.
I don't get it.

PelliX

Reaction score
Well... I think a 3-5 min stint at a volume where you still hear yourself shout is acceptable. Some people really do overdo it, but especially when buying an amp versus a guitar you need to be able to turn it up. From a sales perspective, I'd have started off differently; "Hey man, nice combo, huh? Tell ya what, how would you like to give it a real blast in this room we have for that purpose..."

Disclaimer, I've never worked on the floor of a shop, let alone a music place.

KraftyBob

Reaction score
Yeah, it could have been handled differently by the first guy but good to hear they moved you to the room to crank it.

In my younger, more stubborn days I would have said F‘it after the first guy and left. Now that I’m older and a “little” wiser, I’ve learned not to bite my nose off to spite my face and miss out on an opportunity.

keennay

Reaction score
Went looking for a combo amp the other day. Haven't owned a combo in a long time.
Went to closest GC near me, they didn't have one. Closest thing was a non British model, AC-15.
Never played an AC-15 I liked. But I gave it a shot. Didn't quite have what I was looking for.
Went to next closest GC. Thay had a deluxe. Plugged in a Les Paul and began playing.
Mgr, came um and told me to turn it down. Really? "You do want to sell an amp today don't you"? "I don't play at cell phone volumes."
Went in and played for an hour or so. came out, and a kid was playing a crappy sounding Vietnam amp. Sounded like shit, didn't know how to play, was loud as hell, WTF.
I bought the amp, Smallest, lightest combo I've ever owned. And, it gets loud enough to override the ringing in my ears.
What happened to the kids in this country? Saying used to be, If it's too loud, you're too fucking old. This kid was not much older than one of my grandkids.
I don't get it.
It's because you were playing Master of Puppets... wasn't it :D

PelliX

Reaction score
It's because you were playing Master of Puppets... wasn't it :D

[ubiquitous stairway denied remark]

tenor.png

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
I don't get it.
was it a DSL?

Vinsanitizer

Kitteh!!
Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't get it.
Well, I guess that's just the way the old rubber ball bounces there, toots. What else do you want that we should tell you? :shrug:
You bought the map, and by doing so, taught them that what they did with you was OK, why are you complaining?
Are you an active complaintist suffereing from modern-day complainstism?
You better straighten that out, or else you're gonna have a tough life and stuff, see?

:ugh: dro??
... did I lose ya dro?
... DRO!

Last edited:

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
I don't get it.
I wish I could give you multiple thumbs up on this as I've had the same experience at a local music store.

And Happy NAD!!!

Vinsanitizer

Kitteh!!
Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Those damn kids need to turn that crap down!!!!! Hahahaha J/K...
I mean... you have a music store the size of... whatever's usually as big as a GC music store, right? And you have all these guitars and maps everywhere, and you let any customer who walks in grab any guitar they can reach, plug it into any map that works, and have a go, right? Ok, but then at your "discretion", you tell them they're too loud. Well how loud is too loud? How would we know? Is there a decibel meter that we should abide by? Why don't these maps have carburetor restrictions to keep them from getting "too loud, whatever that means? Wat.

I don't understand ANY of this right now.

playloud

Reaction score
At least they moved you to a vault.

I remember trying out a YJM100 at GC Hollywood a few years ago, and when I asked if I could turn it up, the sales guy suggested I buy it with a credit card and return it if I didn't like it.

Most brutal criticism of my playing to date!

PelliX

Reaction score
Most of the I've gone in to GCs on a weekend you can't hear yourself think.

I was in a store recently with a colleague of mine and I was trying some guitars. We joked about the forbidden tunes (Smoke on the Water, Stairway to Heaven), and because there was nobody in sight, I just played a few notes of the ones that we guessed you would ban if you worked there. Few bars of Sunshine of your Love - nothing. Riff from Seven Nation Army - nothing. Sharp Dressed Man - nothing. Literally, as I started on just the first few notes of Stairway to Heaven (achievement unlocked) an employee walked past given me a look that promptly made me change song! In my defense the amp wasn't turned up, my colleague and me were talking normally the whole time. I'm still wondering whether the guy was just waiting for it around the corner... :D

To be clear, no hard feelings. Their shop, their rules. He didn't actually say anything either. Bought a guitar from them a week later or so, same guy - no complaints.

Flag

Reaction score
I was there once and this teenager "who was horrible" was on the drums. I mean everyone in the damn store was looking like they wanted to choke the lil squirt. nothing was said so I left and they lost a sale too. Yeah, get OFFA my lawn BTY:facepalm:

Latest posts