This is my confession. I've strayed and I'm repenting.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep trying to like the Vox but the DSL40C is clearly superior. I think I'm going to put the Vox up for sale. I just can't get on with it.
Yeah, me too, I had a Vox for a while and I really tried to like it, but like you said, I couldn’t get on with it!

It sounded thin to me, too thin for my liking, and really thin with single coils. I think the “Jangly Vox Sound” just isn’t for me, I like something with a little more balls.

ITburst

Reaction score
Interesting, I bought my Vox just for my single coil. I wasn’t happy with a solid state Fender Tone Master and found that the Vox worked nicely with the Strat so I traded it in.
I don’t mind the Les Paul with the Vox, but it belongs plugged into the DSL20HR and that’s where it sounds the best. Les Paul and Marshall were made for each other in my opinion.

Calebz

Reaction score
My confession -

My marshall is fine, but...

I use Joyo Bantamps in almost every situation except when I'm in a studio and can actually do the cranked amp/4x12/mic thing.

mark123

Reaction score
I honestly don't know why I even bother trying other amps. I'm never happy with anything other than Marshall. I've tried Fender, Ampeg, Mesa, Peavey and all I ever do is try to fight them into sounding like a Marshall.

Lesson learned.

ITburst

Reaction score
I honestly don't know why I even bother trying other amps. I'm never happy with anything other than Marshall. I've tried Fender, Ampeg, Mesa, Peavey and all I ever do is try to fight them into sounding like a Marshall.

Lesson learned.
They are unique. I am sure I can speak for many here when I say that I recall growing up seeing Les Pauls (and others) plugged into massive Marshall stacks and sounding oh so sweet! But man, they are LOUD!!!

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm the one guy on the planet who thinks Presence is a rock masterpiece.
You mean “realizes Presence is a rock masterpiece”. Anyone who disagrees with you is just wrong.
Tea for One is an amazing recording
Yup it is!
Presence is my favorite Led Zeppelin album with Houses of the a Holy a close second.

Achilles Last Stand is surely my favorite Led Zeppelin song.
Fighting the band right now to get Achilles back in the set list. Masterpiece

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was me too. Also att, I wasn’t even aware it was happening!

When I finally did realized what I really wanted, I sold all my non-Marshall amps, except one, my Bugera G5.

The Bugera has the best E-out I’ve ever heard, and that’s how I use it, it’s perfect for silent playing and recording.

JamminJeff

Reaction score
You mean “realizes Presence is a rock masterpiece”. Anyone who disagrees with you is just wrong.

Yup it is!

Fighting the band right now to get Achilles back in the set list. Masterpiece
I wore out my first Presence vinyl back in the 80's so the proper vernacular would be "realized". I have the remastered version on CD in rotation in my car so the realization was a gift then and continues being a gift now. I gave my last vinyl copy of Presence to my son and I surely hope he "realizes" what a masterpiece it really is.

Ironically, LZ Presence had many of it's tracks recorded in a proper studio somewhere in California or that's the story I was told. Some of the overdubs were completed elsewhere. The tonal difference to recording in some old rusty manor is noticeable. It's all great, just different.

I'm also convinced Jimmy Page has some amazing Presence inspired material locked away in his vault that never made it on the record.

I would like to think there is a LZ album floating around in the universe that would be heavier than Presence and would put the music world back on its proper course.

LZ was never a metal band, but sometimes I can hear metal in Presence.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wore out my first Presence vinyl back in the 80's so the proper vernacular would be "realized". I have the remastered version on CD in rotation in my car so the realization was a gift then and continues being a gift now. I gave my last vinyl copy of Presence to my son and I surely hope he "realizes" what a masterpiece it really is.

Ironically, LZ Presence had many of it's tracks recorded in a proper studio somewhere in California or that's the story I was told. Some of the overdubs were completed elsewhere. The tonal difference to recording in some old rusty manor is noticeable. It's all great, just different.

I'm also convinced Jimmy Page has some amazing Presence inspired material locked away in his vault that never made it on the record.

I would like to think there is a LZ album floating around in the universe that would be heavier than Presence and would put the music world back on its proper course.

LZ was never a metal band, but sometimes I can hear metal in Presence.
Love it all! For some reason I thought it was recorded in Germany in fall/winter? Regardless I'm with you--it just exudes power and a 'presence' no other band had.

I really hope you are right about secret Presence material, I bring an 'object' to every gig!

obj.jpg

NoelH

Reaction score
I have a DSL 50 head that you couldn't pry out of my dead fingers. I did have a ClassicTone choke put in it, but that's all. The DSL 40 is somewhat similar though I find the treble a bit more stinging.
Funny people seem to pan the Blackstar. I had a Blackstar Club 40 that I actually really liked. That's what I traded a guy for the DSL head. One amp I would definitely buy is the Blackstar 20 watter. Really like that little guy.
Honestly, I want to like Vox's but I just don't. No matter how I tweak them, I can't get there.

JamminJeff

Reaction score
Love it all! For some reason I thought it was recorded in Germany in fall/winter? Regardless I'm with you--it just exudes power and a 'presence' no other band had.

I really hope you are right about secret Presence material, I bring an 'object' to every gig!

View attachment 119708

Attachments

• presence_object_c.jpg
    presence_object_c.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts