This is my confession. I've strayed and I'm repenting.

mark123

Reaction score
Recently, I got a Vox AC30C2X and I really like it. I've been practicing songs to try out for a band (I must be nuts but that's another thread). I've been using the Vox exclusively since I got it.

The Vox sounds great but when I went over to meet the other guitar player and work out who is playing what part, I took my DSL40C instead because the Vox weighs a ton.

I guess I'm just a Marshall guy, through and through. The DSL Green Crunch channel is just my tone. It was like coming home.

The Vox doesn't take drive pedals well in the front and the effects loop overloads a lot of my modulation pedals. I don't think it's unity gain.

The DSL is like the old Apple ads, "It just works".

Well, that's all I wanted to say. Talk to you soon.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Recently, I got a Vox AC30C2X and I really like it. I've been practicing songs to try out for a band (I must be nuts but that's another thread). I've been using the Vox exclusively since I got it.

The Vox sounds great but when I went over to meet the other guitar player and work out who is playing what part, I took my DSL40C instead because the Vox weighs a ton.

I guess I'm just a Marshall guy, through and through. The DSL Green Crunch channel is just my tone. It was like coming home.

The Vox doesn't take drive pedals well in the front and the effects loop overloads a lot of my modulation pedals. I don't think it's unity gain.

I had an AC15 for alot of years they sound really good through a 2x12 cab. Also had one of the newer AC30 heads for a short time, I really liked the features but the power scaling only works with 16 ohm cabs (I only have 8 ohm cabs so I was disappointed) and the effects loop doesnt provide volume boost just more gain (bummer again), I would have kept it cuz it sounded really good except for those downfalls.

mark123

Reaction score
... I would have kept it cuz it sounded really good except for those downfalls.
Yes, my AC30 really does sound good. I am a pedal geek and the rumor that it doesn't take pedals well is actually true. That Pedal Show has an episode that supposedly debunks that but this is a time that I disagree with them. You can use pedals but you have to dial in a tone you don't like to get a mediocre use of the pedal. The Marshalls just work with anything.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Fifty lashes for straying,….

donnyrocker

Reaction score
I had a Vox AC30 hand-wired head going into a 212 cab built by a friend but sounds like a Marshall 412 and *easily* competed with a DSL 2000 100w halfstack in one band I was in.

(Self-employed at the time, I had to sell that head and I've since acquired a Dr Z Stang Ray head+combo that gets me to my Voxiness. I've converted several guitar players to the DSL40C over recent years ;) however)

sir axeman

Reaction score
I gigged for years using both my AC30HW2X AND 1923C (limited edition 2x12 version of the DSL50) both clean with pedals and using a single splitter to run the 2 amps simultaneously...the 2 sounded fantastic together as they blended their respective voices some well. You can definitely run an ac30 with pedals, I used the normal channel but the top boost channel is more difficult..you have to use the cut on the amp and/or roll the tone back on your dirt pedals to eliminate the fizz.

But the alnico blue speakers mixing their thing with the v30 and heritage in my marshall was so so nice. Still have both amps and won't ever repent of loving both. Just can't be bothered lugging both heavy amps to gigs mostly these days so just take one..and a backup head in my H&K Tubemeister 40DLX. That too is a great 3 channel amp, .but that's another story...

Cal Nevari

Reaction score

You are absolved of your sins...

And c'mon, who doesn't love Mark123? I know I do!

:^)

Dean Swindell

Reaction score

My AC30C2 (Greenback version) is too heavy for me anymore but that's the only problem. Never tried the FX loop, never needed it for delays or modulations of any kind including an MD-500. It takes all fx straight into the front end beautifully. I use the Devil's setting; vol, bass & treble on 6. My guitar's volume is "lead 1" and one of many pedals for "Lead 2", like a Red Llama, Lounsberry Toy Robot or DOD 250, or even a JHS Haunting mids or an LPB-1. Always sounds good. Other than weight, NO problem at all. Maybe it's the Celestion Blues that are giving you "mush" with your overdrive pedals.

purpleplexi

Reaction score
I had a blackstar series one. Never could get the hang of it. And tried - I really did. I took it to trade for my DSL and the guy in the shop tried it to make sure it was OK. Sounded great. I dunno......

Latest posts