The song that made you want to play.

FleshOnGear

Reaction score
When I was little I remmember spinning dads Abby Road album and loved Sgt Pepper Movie and the Yellow Submarine Movie but I was still listening to Burt and Earnie albums at the time lol. Yea Andy and the Police were terrific. Andy is a brilliant player. Seems like he doesnt get as much credit amongst players maybe because hes not as in your face? Seems like every band Im in I try to get them to play "Every Breath You Take" but I always get shot down.
I was a big fan of music at a young age. The Police was a favorite when I was 7. I remember seeing Sting on the video to Every Breath You Take and thinking he looked so cool playing that stand up bass. Synchronicity was the first or second LP I ever bought. But the Police didn’t kindle my interest in guitar, for some reason.
So weird that hes gone. Never pictured him as the opioid type and then bam hes gone. So young.
Yeah, tragic. There was a bad string of musician deaths for a few years. Bowie, Prince, Petty, Cornell…

saxon68

VIP in training. J/K
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me it wasn't a song, but a couple albums.

Beatles Magical Mystery Tour helped me discover I wanted make music. Sabbath's Sabbath Bloody Sabbath made me want to play guitar.

No Rest for the Wicked and Ride the Lightning made me want to become a rock star.
How close did you get to the rock stardom?

I got to open for Pauly Shore on his university tour in the very early 90s, and my old band mates say we opened for AIC but I don’t remember it, that was a blur period though!!

For me the song that made me want to play was Scorpions “Rock you like a hurricane” video on MTV. Perfect solo to this day! Man I wanted a white explorer. Never got one, but I’ve got my purple explorer!!

Last edited:

FleshOnGear

Reaction score
How close did you get to the rock stardom?

I got to open for Pauly Shore on his university tour in the very early 90s, and my old band mates say we opened for AIC but I don’t remember it, that was a blur period though!!

For me the song that made me want to play was Scorpions “Rock you like a hurricane” video on MTV. Perfect solo to this day! Man I wanted a white explorer. Never got one, but I’ve got my purple explorer!!
That would be a good thread on its own. My band got to open for Mastodon and High On Fire a few times each. Once opened for GWAR. It felt pretty badass at the time, but it’s funny, looking back, at how far we were from stardom.

jeffb

Reaction score
Made me want to play? It was Chuck Berry on TV when I was just a little kid. I goofed aroud for years learning cowboy chords, and my brother taught me Eagles tunes and stuff like that.

Made me get serious?

A buddy of mine- his Dad worked for the Govt and was always travelling the world, especially to Japan (he was some kind of scientist). He would always bring back "import" albums and my buddy would record them to tape and give me a copy. I went over one day after school to his house to see what his Dad had brought and he had this new album. It had just released like a week before overseas.

For whatever reason he spun track #3 on the 1st side (needle slip? IDR) . And the rest is history.

Timestamped for the song.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I used to be heavily into Gothic Rock as a youth.
Phoenix by The Cult was the first song I thought 'Yeah, I could play that'. Rhythm only though.
I had another mate and we both started playing guitar at the same time, but he was the Lead guy.

After a few years we moved on to thrash, and Slayer's Jesus Saves was THE MOST FUN to play together.

JohnH

Reaction score
It's a good question! I loved lots of music growing up, but wasn't particularly wanting to play a guitar, until I was given my first one in 1976, age 16.

So I'll pick Boston 'More than a feeling', though it was years before I could start to play it myself.

Latest posts