The song that made you want to play.

RCM 800

Reaction score
I was reminiscing and doing some play alongs on you tube and it popped into my head that I had never learned the song that actually was the inspiration for me to pick up the guitar. I saw Queensryche in 84 when they opened for Kiss. I was down front right in front of DeGarmo the whole show and he looked like he was having the best time and made me want to pick up the guitar. Especially when this song came on. Anyways I thought it might be fun to see if anyone else had that one identifiable moment when you decided you wanted to play guitar.

PS sorry if this thread has already been done. I did search.

mark123

Reaction score
I saw Aerosmith on the TV airing of Bee Gees movie Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. They played Come Together. Joe Perry was the coolest dude I ever saw. Then a couple years later i got Ozzy's Blizzard of Ozz. So Randy Rhoads actually made me pick up a guitar but Joe Perry is who i wanted to be. Minus the raging addictions, of course.

Now I'm learning the solo for Adam's Apple and have decided Joe Perry should have been the reason i first started but i was a bit young to start then. That guy is a total groove machine.

Last edited:

RCM 800

Reaction score
Let’s Go Crazy by Prince. It came out when I was 8 and it made me want to play so badly. I didn’t start playing until I was 14, and there were other songs that made me want to play during those years between, but Let’s Go Crazy was the first.

So weird that hes gone. Never pictured him as the opioid type and then bam hes gone. So young.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Not a specific song but early KISS Alive and Destroyer made me want to play. In a band not just at home. My bro already played drums so always kind of had a band. Add in Nazareth, BTO, April Wine, Boston....finally got a guitar which I still have and love, Started out playing simple tunes from Rock n Roll Over. Then ACDC and Cheap Trick.

cherrysunburst00

Reaction score
I saw Aerosmith on the TV airing of Bee Gees movie Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. They played Come Together. Joe Perry was the coolest dude I ever saw. Then a couple years later i got Ozzy's Blizzard of Ozz. So Randy Rhoads actually made me pick up a guitar but Joe Perry is who i wanted to be. Minus the raging addictions, of course.

Now I'm learning the solo for Adam's Apple and have decided Joe Perry should have been the reason i first started but i was a bit young to start then. That guy is a total groove machine.
Saw the Joe Perry Project (Cowboy Mach Bell singing) with my Brother in August of '82; Perry's contributions to Aerosmith were abundantly clear!

1981 when I dropped the needle onto the Blizzard of Ozz record for the first time and heard Randy Rhoads.I don’t know was a great opening track then into crazy train.That was it bought my first electric guitar in 82 and 40 yrs later still love it!
I went in to the record store in 1980 (having read about Ozzy's new band that was slated to be called Blizzard of Ozz) and asked if they could get the record. They laughed at the name like I was crazy. Fast-forward 1.5ish years later, and...

cherrysunburst00

Reaction score
Grand Funk Railroad (the red album)
Black Sabbath Paranoid
Deep Purple Machine Head
Those three albums made me want to play guitar

OH HECK YEAH, "The Red Album"--Inside Looking Out
Also, Deep Purple "In Rock"--Still my favorite DP, and one of those albums without a weak song on it (to me, that is)
"Paranoid" was the first solo I ever worked out myself

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
I was reminiscing and doing some play alongs on you tube and it popped into my head that I had never learned the song that actually was the inspiration for me to pick up the guitar. I saw Queensryche in 84 when they opened for Kiss. I was down front right in front of DeGarmo the whole show and he looked like he was having the best time and made me want to pick up the guitar. Especially when this song came on. Anyways I thought it might be fun to see if anyone else had that one identifiable moment when you decided you wanted to play guitar.

PS sorry if this thread has already been done. I did search.

When I was about five, my parents took me to see Pete Seeger and it kindled an interest in music. When I was eight, they gave me two Beatles double albums, the blue and red ones. After a few hundred listens to that ear heroin, I wanted to play the guitar. After a year and a half of lessons with a brilliant but impatient and exacting classical musician on acoustic guitars way too big for my hands, I gave it up. At 13, I heard Andy Summers play with The Police and got an electric guitar and amp. That was over forty years ago and I’ve never looked back. Song was Message in a Bottle.

RCM 800

Reaction score
When I was about five, my parents took me to see Pete Seeger and it kindled an interest in music. When I was eight, they gave me two Beatles double albums, the blue and red ones. After a few hundred listens to that ear heroin, I wanted to play the guitar. After a year and a half of lessons with a brilliant but impatient and exacting classical musician on acoustic guitars way too big for my hands, I gave it up. At 13, I heard Andy Summers play with The Police and got an electric guitar and amp. That was over forty years ago and I’ve never looked back. Song was Message in a Bottle.
When I was little I remmember spinning dads Abby Road album and loved Sgt Pepper Movie and the Yellow Submarine Movie but I was still listening to Burt and Earnie albums at the time lol. Yea Andy and the Police were terrific. Andy is a brilliant player. Seems like he doesnt get as much credit amongst players maybe because hes not as in your face? Seems like every band Im in I try to get them to play "Every Breath You Take" but I always get shot down.

Latest posts