The SD-1 smokes the OD-3 (IMHO)

Neptical

Reaction score
So.. *commence rant*

y'all saw me have an incoming of a Boss OD-3 last week, THEE pedal I've been waiting to own for years. Finally got my pedal and put it on my board after my SD-1. Straight honest, not sure how I feel about it after being super excited over owning one for so long.

Y'all are right, it truly does have a more amp like response, but it kind of feels flat in comparison to it's SD-1 sibling. Maybe that's what it's supposed to do EQ wise..? I've been trying it through my clean channels (Boogie Mark IIIs, JCM 2000 DSL 50/100, Dual Rectifier Rev G). I'm years in to having the response of the SD-1 so take it what it's worth. That pedal keeps everything (literally) TIGHT, while the OD-3 doesn't seem to hold the bottom very well..at all. It's very LOUD when engaged. I'll keep it on my board for a little more experimentation. It does A LOT better stacked. Certainly can't see that OD-3 as a stand alone always on.

I also have an anniversary black SD-1 that I've not yet to run with my ole Taiwanese SD-1. That may be the better answer after all ...in tandem with my MXR 10 Band EQ 3. So much control in that regard.

Anyways, here's a perfect to each their own scenario

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
So.. *commence rant*

y'all saw me have an incoming of a Boss OD-3 last week, THEE pedal I've been waiting to own for years. Finally got my pedal and put it on my board after my SD-1. Straight honest, not sure how I feel about it after being super excited over owning one for so long.

Y'all are right, it truly does have a more amp like response, but it kind of feels flat in comparison to it's SD-1 sibling. Maybe that's what it's supposed to do EQ wise..? I've been trying it through my clean channels (Boogie Mark IIIs, JCM 2000 DSL 50/100, Dual Rectifier Rev G). I'm years in to having the response of the SD-1 so take it what it's worth. That pedal keeps everything (literally) TIGHT, while the OD-3 doesn't seem to hold the bottom very well..at all. It's very LOUD when engaged. I'll keep it on my board for a little more experimentation. It does A LOT better stacked. Certainly can't see that OD-3 as a stand alone always on.

I also have an anniversary black SD-1 that I've not yet to run with my ole Taiwanese SD-1. That may be the better answer after all ...in tandem with my MXR 10 Band EQ 3. So much control in that regard.

Anyways, here's a perfect to each their own scenario
You ever try a Nobels ODR-1? Very amp like. I really like mine.

You might like the results of the OD-3 into an already breaking up signal.:shrug:

Neptical

Reaction score
You ever try a Nobels ODR-1? Very amp like. I really like mine.

Not yet but I've seen some good convos about it around here!

You might like the results of the OD-3 into an already breaking up signal.

I've tried it on a few amps already. IMHO, the SD-1 excels ten times over what the OD-3 can do to edge of break up. That SD-1 mid spike really pushes it in to the absolute perfect frequency for ALL my amps. I (personally) don't think you can have a better call and response OD. Sits perfect.

Last edited:

ampeq

Reaction score
This is subject to change with every amp and guitar setup as well. I always had trouble trying to get a distortion pedal to always work good. My old Distortion + from MXR stayed the longest I think. I’m finally happy with my HX Effects pedal because of the ability to match the pedal with the amp. I tend to come back to the same pedals for the most part, 5 or so, but not always. The SD-1 is one I use for some. Klon, clean boost and a couple fuzz’s. However when needed there is a good supply, I found this list.
https://dshowmusic.com/line-6-helix-effect-models/

jeffb

Reaction score
Different strokes.

As a boost on an already driven amp, I prefer the OD3 over the SD1, but like the custom modes of the Waza SD1 or Waza Blues Driver better than the OD3.

I don't ever do pedals as a gain channel on top of a clean amp, but if I did, any of the BOSS OD1 variants (SD1, Turbo OD, any and all Tubescreamers) MXR D+, DOD 250, etc would be my absolute LAST choice. They all sound fake as hell sitting on top of a clean tone. Pick up a Bogner Blue/La Grange, Carl Martin Plexitone, Wampler PLexidrive or Black 65, Zvex Distortron/Box of Rock, etc. Any of the "amp in a box" pedals are far better tools for the job than the old school pedals.

Neptical

Reaction score
After experimenting tonight - here's my answer! The BEST OD combo that has been sitting in front of my eyes.

http://imgur.com/a/mZHvzWy

The RAT has been sitting in my pedal case for quite some time. I was never a fan of it as a stand alone OD as it has a saggy/loose thing going on. I was always looking to tighten my amps and that didn't do it. BUT- after the SD-1, it is FANTASTIC! Really really nice bite, smooth and clear all the way across the strings. Absolutely perfect for leads and can be used to thicken up riffs where the SD-1 leaves off.

I also used my anniversary black SD-1 (two SD-1s) and that worked great for a lead boost, but I wanted something tonally different. The RAT is staying on the board. Very versatile pending how you dial it up. Highly recommended this combination.

AdrianDSL

Reaction score
I'm still trying to fall in love with the SD-1, but for some reason I can't. Maybe it just doesn't work for me. I like my amp's mids and play mostly middy pickups (JB, BW, Custom) and something about the upper mids in the SD-1 just feels totally out of place, as if it's just too much. To cut that annoying hump I have to dial down the tone below 11:00, but then there's no punch anymore. I just don't know, so many people can make it work, no doubt it's a great pedal. I can get better boost sound with the GE-7 than with the SD-1, something's amiss here...

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
After experimenting tonight - here's my answer! The BEST OD combo that has been sitting in front of my eyes.

http://imgur.com/a/mZHvzWy

The RAT has been sitting in my pedal case for quite some time. I was never a fan of it as a stand alone OD as it has a saggy/loose thing going on. I was always looking to tighten my amps and that didn't do it. BUT- after the SD-1, it is FANTASTIC! Really really nice bite, smooth and clear all the way across the strings. Absolutely perfect for leads and can be used to thicken up riffs where the SD-1 leaves off.

I also used my anniversary black SD-1 (two SD-1s) and that worked great for a lead boost, but I wanted something tonally different. The RAT is staying on the board. Very versatile pending how you dial it up. Highly recommended this combination.
Though I'm not an SD-1 fan the Rat is great stacked with other OD's. IMHO It's also a great standalone as well with the old Marshall style circuits. I push mine (WF Rat/Turbo Rat clone) with a TS7/9 Tube Screamer and love the combo.

Last edited:

Neptical

Reaction score
I'm still trying to fall in love with the SD-1, but for some reason I can't. Maybe it just doesn't work for me. I like my amp's mids and play mostly middy pickups (JB, BW, Custom) and something about the upper mids in the SD-1 just feels totally out of place, as if it's just too much. To cut that annoying hump I have to dial down the tone below 11:00, but then there's no punch anymore. I just don't know, so many people can make it work, no doubt it's a great pedal. I can get better boost sound with the GE-7 than with the SD-1, something's amiss here...

That for sure sounds overkill. It truly does depend on what other gear/settings you're using. I'm always a tiny bit scooped with a decent amount of Bass so the SD-1 really makes it cut well in the mix.

Neptical

Reaction score
Though I'm not an SD-1 fan the Rat is great stacked with other OD's. IMHO It's also a great standalone as well with the old Marshall style circuits. I push mine (WF Rat/Turbo Rat clone) with a TS7/9 Tube Screamer and love the combo.

Respect that. I don't own a TS but would like to experiment with one. Always have a place for another pedal I guess. Lol

Scallywag77

Reaction score
Like you I love my SD1 and for some reason I’m always trying to replace it. It’s a sickness. Nothing has knocked off my board…fulldrives, Xotics, EQD… I’d say it’s the asymmetrical clipping but I’ve tried other asymmetrical pedals and nope. It’s just the perfect blend of bass cut and mid boost. BTW now I wanna get a Rat and try it like your set up

AdrianDSL

Reaction score
That for sure sounds overkill. It truly does depend on what other gear/settings you're using. I'm always a tiny bit scooped with a decent amount of Bass so the SD-1 really makes it cut well in the mix.
That's true, if I roll off the middle frequencies on the amp it's a different story, I get the punch and that little bit of extra grind that sounds great, but the base tone changes. I really like the DSL's base tone as I dial it without any pedal, then all I want is to tighten it up and get that chucka-chucka response without it becoming too overwhelming. There's something aggressive, creamy and musical at the same time about the OD9, OD808x and the Boss GE-7 which I can't replicate with the SD-1. It's like, if I dial it to sound creamy and musical it's not aggressive anymore, if that makes sense?

Neptical

Reaction score
That's true, if I roll off the middle frequencies on the amp it's a different story, I get the punch and that little bit of extra grind that sounds great, but the base tone changes. I really like the DSL's base tone as I dial it without any pedal, then all I want is to tighten it up and get that chucka-chucka response without it becoming too overwhelming. There's something aggressive, creamy and musical at the same time about the OD9, OD808x and the Boss GE-7 which I can't replicate with the SD-1. It's like, if I dial it to sound creamy and musical it's not aggressive anymore, if that makes sense?

The JCM 2000 DSL are phenomenal amps. I wouldn't let my 50 or 100 go. They have a wide enough difference in their tone over my JCM 900 SL-X to keep them. Its another beautiful variation of the Marshall grind but much smoother. With the SD-1, I dial them in so they get some nice thump but have a nice cut. Very similar to how I dial in my 3210 ( and the majority of my amps I would say).

Sounds like we're both (tonally) going for the same structure. As you said, "musical" - but still retaining that Marshall grind. Coming from years of playing my Mark III Boogies, it's familiar territory.

It's not the same as most Marshall folks discuss.

Last edited:

Neptical

Reaction score
Like you I love my SD1 and for some reason I’m always trying to replace it. It’s a sickness. Nothing has knocked off my board…fulldrives, Xotics, EQD… I’d say it’s the asymmetrical clipping but I’ve tried other asymmetrical pedals and nope. It’s just the perfect blend of bass cut and mid boost. BTW now I wanna get a Rat and try it like your set up

Echo that! I have tried a few variations of the asymmetrical pedals to no avail. A very close call was the MXR Custom Modified Bad Ass OD. I actually still have it and should really see how it shapes after the SD-1. But that RAT- it is doing something fantastic after the SD-1.

gregr

Reaction score
MXR M77 is a great pedal.

Last edited:

jay59LP

Reaction score
Boss Sd-1 for sure . Only boost, no drive sound killer thought the Marshall DSL Red channel. I like the TS-9 to.

Latest posts