The Recording Thread

twangsta

Reaction score
WIP

Been struggling to transition to the heavier bits, yet to come. What worked better was dropping the gain. I could still do with less.

Revival hotrod custom into an RR100.

edit: updated the track link with a newer version, added a bridge and riff at the end. Not happy with the double bass drums, it's a place holder for now, also need to beef that section up with bass and change the guitar to one with HB pups.

What do you guys think of the last riff, works? It's a bit choppy midway, and the slightly odd time signature 6/8 I think, needs gluing, half tracked and just added on for not, testing ideas.

Last edited:

George Dickens

Reaction score

Got better at the transitions.

"...guys think of the last riff, works? It's a bit choppy midway, and the slightly odd time signature 6/8 "
I think its a cool riff but it only seems to work sometime when it enters specifically when the crash cymbol strikes - it fits great. IMO

Sapient

 
Reaction score
"...guys think of the last riff, works? It's a bit choppy midway, and the slightly odd time signature 6/8 "
I think its a cool riff but it only seems to work sometime when it enters specifically when the crash cymbol strikes - it fits great. IMO

That's very cool, but if you are gonna have vocals you're way over doing it. The intro as it appears to be before the verse makes the musical statement for the song and you're "losing it" then going all over the place.

The intro appears to be going into a verse which is cool. You could come back to that intro riff for 4 bars after the first verse. Then do the verse again, then a chorus, then a solo since you have eaten time with the intro.

I would go out with that intro riff too ...alone.

*edit - Great then.

Last edited:

twangsta

Reaction score
Thank you so much, you are absolutely right, when it enters with the crash is when it works, I was struggling with that given the little time I had. Your point is going to help me a lot tomorrow. Thanks again!

That's very cool, but if you are gonna have vocals you're way over doing it. The intro as it appears to be before the verse makes the musical statement for the song and you're "losing it" then going all over the place.

The intro appears to be going into a verse which is cool. You could come back to that intro riff for 4 bars after the first verse. Then do the verse again, then a chorus, then a solo since you have eaten time with the intro.

I would go out with that intro riff too ...alone.

*edit - Great then.
I'm such a noob, to be honest I only know the parts written change but I can't tell the difference functionally between a verse and a chorus yet, the intro part I guess is the start so that's obvious thankfully :)

I'd really appreciate if you could point them out with a time stamp if you or anybody else that has the time so that I can understand the process better, I have no clue what's going on as far as song structure, this is the very first riff I've come up with and I'm 45, a software dev by profession.

Thanks for listening, and thank you for raising my awareness on this. It's given me a few pointers to start digging into. I's still very lost on this project but I shall keep trying :)

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Thank you so much, you are absolutely right, when it enters with the crash is when it works, I was struggling with that given the little time I had. Your point is going to help me a lot tomorrow. Thanks again!

I'm such a noob, to be honest I only know the parts written change but I can't tell the difference functionally between a verse and a chorus yet, the intro part I guess is the start so that's obvious thankfully :)

I'd really appreciate if you could point them out with a time stamp if you or anybody else that has the time so that I can understand the process better, I have no clue what's going on as far as song structure, this is the very first riff I've come up with and I'm 45, a software dev by profession.

Thanks for listening, and thank you for raising my awareness on this. It's given me a few pointers to start digging into. I's still very lost on this project but I shall keep trying :)
I very much like what you are doing I hear a little Rand and a little Alex Lifeson.The sections are sometimes but not always correlate with the vocal. I find mine by the drum track but I use ez drummer and the are pre arranged. intro is usually 8 bars , Verse is the vocal 8 bars pre chorus 4 bars and chorus 8 bars. So I have been doing intro, verse, chorus , bridge and then repeat the verse chorus. You can stick a solo in the bridge but it's up to you. Your tone and playing is very good ! Intro is kind of long , ends around 113. Cymbal I would say is where the verse starts and the riff gets heavier. I like the intro by the way.

Seventh Son

Reaction score
In my longtime pursuit of the tone on Maiden's Piece of Mind album, I recently noticed that the guitars on the album are much, much leaner, and, consequently, brighter/present, than anything I've ever recorded at home, even with the Bass knob set to zero. My recordings always have a lot of mud between 100 Hz and 250 Hz, regardless of mic placement or amp settings on my DSL20HR+MX112R. This low-end mud clashes with the bass and contributes a significantly to the perception of a scooped, fizzy tone. In the stock EQ plugin in GarageBand, my recorded tracks exhibit a downward slope from left to right, with a lot of content in the bass and low-mid region, less so in the mids, and about the same or less in the treble region, which tells me that there is something wrong, as the sound appears quite unbalanced. Consequently, I've noticed that carving out the 100–200 Hz section, using a deep medium cut of about 15dB in the stock EQ plugin, contributes a great deal toward getting more clarity in the mix.

My question is, is this normal when close-miking amps and something that is fixed in the mix using deep EQ cuts, or am I possibly dealing with bass build-up in the living room that is getting into the recordings? If this is normal, i.e., the large amount of bass is coming from the amp itself, then my guess is that in order to get the kind of lean, present guitar sound that I want, I would have to address it with something like a parametric EQ in the loop and cut all the muddy frequencies that way.

Last edited:

twangsta

Reaction score
I very much like what you are doing I hear a little Rand and a little Alex Lifeson.The sections are sometimes but not always correlate with the vocal. I find mine by the drum track but I use ez drummer and the are pre arranged. intro is usually 8 bars , Verse is the vocal 8 bars pre chorus 4 bars and chorus 8 bars. So I have been doing intro, verse, chorus , bridge and then repeat the verse chorus. You can stick a solo in the bridge but it's up to you. Your tone and playing is very good ! Intro is kind of long , ends around 113. Cymbal I would say is where the verse starts and the riff gets heavier. I like the intro by the way.
That's an interesting idea, using the ez drummer pre arranged tracks, I shall revisit this track with that approach. Thank you very much for the kinds words.

Sorry about the late reply, haven't been around much.

twangsta

Reaction score
In my longtime pursuit of the tone on Maiden's Piece of Mind album, I recently noticed that the guitars on the album are much, much leaner, and, consequently, brighter/present, than anything I've ever recorded at home, even with the Bass knob set to zero. My recordings always have a lot of mud between 100 Hz and 250 Hz, regardless of mic placement or amp settings on my DSL20HR+MX112R. This low-end mud clashes with the bass and contributes a significantly to the perception of a scooped, fizzy tone. In the stock EQ plugin in GarageBand, my recorded tracks exhibit a downward slope from left to right, with a lot of content in the bass and low-mid region, less so in the mids, and about the same or less in the treble region, which tells me that there is something wrong, as the sound appears quite unbalanced. Consequently, I've noticed that carving out the 100–200 Hz section, using a deep medium cut of about 15dB in the stock EQ plugin, contributes a great deal toward getting more clarity in the mix.

My question is, is this normal when close-miking amps and something that is fixed in the mix using deep EQ cuts, or am I possibly dealing with bass build-up in the living room that is getting into the recordings? If this is normal, i.e., the large amount of bass is coming from the amp itself, then my guess is that in order to get the kind of lean, present guitar sound that I want, I would have to address it with something like a parametric EQ in the loop and cut all the muddy frequencies that way.

My cab has G12-T75 speakers, and I use an SM57. I place the mic closer to the edge of the cone perpendicular to the baffle. Using less gain can help, but the whole tone chain needs to be working together to get the best results you can muster up. I'm a noob to be honest, I find it easier if the source sounds good, the rest gets easier. Keep experimenting, what's your tone chain like, guitar, pickups, pedals, cab speaker, etc. Bass is the enemy of high gain, need to tame it, I find I sometimes use the DD YJM 308 as an eq as it's bass cut is superb end of your pedal chain, I just roll the gain completely off and keep the volume at unity if I don't want any boost from it.

Latest posts