The Recording Thread

twangsta

Reaction score
Just got the hot rod custom edition, really enjoying it. The dynamics are what hit me after the initial buzz, amazing pedal.

Some random clip from this morning.

There's no eq applied on either track to the guitar, some gain, mild compression and reverb.

YJM strat (SD fury) neck pickup -> RR100 -> stock 1960B -> SM56 -> DAW

Last edited by a moderator:

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
full

mcblink

Reaction score
@LRT#1 put this up in the riffs thread last night, I thought here maybe we might get some insight or opinions on this mix vs. the last one we did, where @Dogs of Doom and @SmokeyDopey mentioned the two guitars burying each other. We spent the last few days working on this one, and then last night I played with some minor EQ adjustments on the individual tracks. Also, we double tracked all guitars, and I also played bass on this one, so we've added another instrument, it's double tracked as well.

So what we did differently this time was:
A) Double track instruments
B) Added bass guitar
C) EQ adjustment on every individual guitar/bass track after recording

On my end, I used a Gib Explorer > Crybaby > JJ Jr. > BOSS CH-1 > BOSS GE-7 > SM57

LRT: Dean V > Tube Screamer > 2203x > BOSS GE-7 > PVM580

Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 and Reaper

....in case anyone was interested in that part...

Does this mix sound better than the last one? (YT4beers or whatever it was)
Is there too much of the bass guitar? Is there an improved definition of the two guitars? Should I try to separate them even more?
Aside from the sloppy playing, what else might we try to improve the overall sound quality? Should I play with EQing the drum track?

Suggestions, critiques, insults, whatever; lay it on us. It's how we learn things.

Last edited:

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah man, that sounds better. I would still widen the rhythm guitars. If you are double tracking them, I would try panning them harder. But they aren't getting buried like the previous one you posted.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
yeah, the balance there is a lot better, than the one a while back.

I think the drums could use some EQ. Is it just a single track? or ?

The cymbals sound a bit too live/prominent.

I think the thing that was wrong w/ the other track, is, that the lead guitar was buried. The supporting guitar was where it should have been.

In this, the lead guitar is the lead guitar & the supporting guitar is doing just that, supporting the lead.

Bass too loud? no such thing! :)... JK! It sounds pretty balanced to me. Some metallers in this genre though, like bass less prominant & some like it a little more.

You listed guitar gear, how about bass gear? :wave:

Maybe a little more midrange on the bass? Just a little to try & get some of the string brilliance ringing at opportune x's. Just be careful, because you don't want to throw the balance out of whack. Just subtle changes.

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, thanks DoD I forgot about the bass. The bass is fine there!
And like DoD said, it can vary, sometimes more, sometimes less (...And justice for all? :D)

mcblink

Reaction score
Yeah man, that sounds better. I would still widen the rhythm guitars. If you are double tracking them, I would try panning them harder. But they aren't getting buried like the previous one you posted.
Awesome, great! Thanks for your reply!
This was the first time we've tried double tracking, and it didn't cross my mind at the time to try panning them, they're all just centered. I'll mess with that and see what happens.

yeah, the balance there is a lot better, than the one a while back.

I think the drums could use some EQ. Is it just a single track? or ?

The cymbals sound a bit too live/prominent.

I think the thing that was wrong w/ the other track, is, that the lead guitar was buried. The supporting guitar was where it should have been.

In this, the lead guitar is the lead guitar & the supporting guitar is doing just that, supporting the lead.

Bass too loud? no such thing! :)... JK! It sounds pretty balanced to me. Some metallers in this genre though, like bass less prominant & some like it a little more.

You listed guitar gear, how about bass gear? :wave:

Maybe a little more midrange on the bass? Just a little to try & get some of the string brilliance ringing at opportune x's. Just be careful, because you don't want to throw the balance out of whack. Just subtle changes.
So the drums are something I ripped from YT, converted it to an MP3, and inserted into the DAW, it's only one track, but there are two separate waveforms within that one track. Like it was bounced, I dunno... But yes, I hear what you mean about the cymbals, like they're a touch too hot. I suppose I would want to drop some dB out of the higher freq ranges to alleviate that a little bit?

As far as bass gear, LRT was able to borrow an old Celebrity bass from a coworker. Looks kinda like a Jackson. I think the last time the strings were changed was probably in like, 1987! lol!
I just played it into my JJ Jr. using the clean channel 'cause I didn't have a bass amp lol. Making do, I guess. But I dunno how far I can get with strings like that, as far as 'brilliance' goes...I'm not really a bass player, either, and that was my first time ever recording one, but I have to admit that it was pretty fun to do! I can try boosting the mids and see where that takes us though.

Thanks, you guys! It reaffirms to me that we're heading in the right direction.

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking, the bass can use a little more clarity, somewhere around 1kHz - 3kHz approx. haha makes sense if those are old strings.
Boiling works. They don't sound like new, but it definitely clears them up

mcblink

Reaction score
Well, hey, we could probably actually try boiling them.
I've always kinda wondered how well that works anyway.
Maybe it's gonna be science experiment night!

I feel a bit retarded for not having tried panning yet already lol seems obvious now that I think about it. I must have been distracted! lol

Smokey, when you say 'clarity' would you suggest a boost or a drop in that freq range? I'm assuming a small boost there? Or should I cut?

Last edited:

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
Correcto, boost in that range. But it's just a ballpark, you'd have to try that and see how it sounds in context.
And not much really, just a couple dB

Latest posts