The photography thread.

Torren61

Reaction score
8oZMIzyh.jpg

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I thought this van was really cool. The owner was pretty cool too and agreed with me that it should never be painted (duh). Dillon Beach, CA

View attachment 119457

View attachment 119458
yeah, some old weathered paintjobs are cool & shouldn't be messed w/. Some say the same about guitars & amp's...

I took this one some IDK, about 13-14 years ago...

Allison000.jpg

look at the truck, in the background. That along w/ the tattered bench made for an interesting backdrop w/ this beauty queen. At the time, she was Miss Bay Area (San Francisco Bay). After this, she became Miss Brentwood, CA.

The paint job on that old truck should never be redone, IMO...

Torren61

Reaction score
yeah, some old weathered paintjobs are cool & shouldn't be messed w/. Some say the same about guitars & amp's...

I took this one some IDK, about 13-14 years ago...

View attachment 119469

look at the truck, in the background. That along w/ the tattered bench made for an interesting backdrop w/ this beauty queen. At the time, she was Miss Bay Area (San Francisco Bay). After this, she became Miss Brentwood, CA.

The paint job on that old truck should never be redone, IMO...
What truck?

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
What truck?
that was a weird day, as it was rainy/drizzly all day. At this point, there was a break in the storm & the sun was getting towards sunset, over to camera right. I hooked up my quantum flash over to the left & blasted out the sun & it made for a sunny looking image. I might have opened it a bit too bright in Lightroom, but, whatever...

The location was an interesting one too. It was a ranch, owned by an artist, back in the '30s. Someone in the '60s (another artist) bought it & turned it into somewhat of an art junk yard. He died a few years before this & his sons took over the property. They turned it into a party ranch. About a year before this, they had a fire, & they never repaired the burned down portion of the house.

It made for some interesting props...

Torren61

Reaction score
I really appreciate the simple pics of your neighborhoods. The things you see every day. You may take it for granted but a lot of those things are unique and interesting.

Derek S

Reaction score
Not exactly photography but I put this video together earlier in year when we went on an epic hike up Grandfather Mountain (forgot to share the clip) with some friends. I shot all the footage with my phone (!) and then tried to find some free audio online to pair up with it and then edit something cool together. Some of the sections are awkward as you need both hands to climb so I'd toss my phone onto my jacket, backpack, etc. This was a crazy hike, more like mountain scaling lol, we tackled 4 of the 5 peeks (supposedly these are some of the highest peeks you can climb on the east coast without using special gear).

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Not exactly photography but I put this video together earlier in year when we went on an epic hike up Grandfather Mountain (forgot to share the clip) with some friends. I shot all the footage with my phone (!) and then tried to find some free audio online to pair up with it and then edit something cool together. Some of the sections are awkward as you need both hands to climb so I'd toss my phone onto my jacket, backpack, etc. This was a crazy hike, more like mountain scaling lol, we tackled 4 of the 5 peeks (supposedly these are some of the highest peeks you can climb on the east coast without using special gear).

I'm guessing that the trail is pretty well marked?

Weird seeing those ladders out there & that help line.

Derek S

Reaction score
I'm guessing that the trail is pretty well marked?

Weird seeing those ladders out there & that help line.
Well marked for the most part, couple of places near the top where the growth was bad, had to spread out and search for it a bit.

The ladders were all fine except one REALLY dicey one near the summit, I mean you are friggin' 5k feet up there and then there's this ladder on the edge of a cliff and I mean on the edge, you dare not glance to the left while on it if you get squeamish, one slip on that thing and you're done, definitely a "do at your own risk" thing (and a ranger told us there HAVE been a few deaths there over the years). I recall climbing up that particular ladder and keeping my eyes turned inward lol, it's the only part of the hike I got zero footage of because I was way more concerned about just getting up the damn thing. There was actually a woman cowering on the ground and telling her husband "nope, we've gone high enough, I don't need to reach the very top, I'm over it!" Thing was, if she could've got up that ladder the rest was easy to the peak (that first peak is where we're goofing off with our inhalers in the vid).

The wire lines were necessary too, some (hell, many) parts of the hike are going nearly straight up/vertical, you're "bouldering" basically. The lines were needed because it was still icey and slippery when we went, not possible without them.

thanks for checking out the vid!

Last edited: