The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
I know this will probably have been asked, but I don't want to read through the entire thread to find the posts.

Has anyone here tried the SV20 with the JohnH simple attenuator? If so, what are your impressions?

For band volumes, with a medium handed drummer, it goes like this:

16Ω, 1960B loaded with 98db Greenbacks
> I use the 16 ohm M2 attenuator with either only the "always on" -7db stage or with the -3.5 db stage added for total of -10.5db attenuation.

8Ω, 1965B loaded with original 94db, G10L-35s:
> With lower sensitivity speakers, I can almost get away with no attenuator, but typically use an 8 ohm M2 at only -3.5db attenuation, by plugging both the speaker cabinet and the attenuator (at full attenuation) into the 4 ohm outputs in parallel, or the attenuator used normally out of the 8 ohm output set for the "always on" -7db setting!

With either cab, for "by myself" jamming/noodling, its not unusual to be somewhere between -14db and -21db overall attenuation. For late nights with folks sleeping, -28db and -31.5db settings are not out of the question!

All settings provide absolutely stellar tones and response, but at the highest few attenuation levels, the ability to achieve feed back through the speaker can be a challenge!

Yes, I built the M2 version of the JohnH attenuator and am using it together with my SV20H. I think it is as good as its reputation. To me it preserves the tone at all attenuation levels. Really nice to dial in the amp according to your liking and then just lowering the volume without loss of tone. It's not whispering quiet though, not even at full attenuation. When I crank the amp I would still disturb someone trying to sleep in the next room (think I've written this before).

I also have the Weber MiniMASS. That's a good attenuator at moderate attenuation. Problem is with increased attenuation. Then I think a lot of the tone is lost, even with Treble Boost engaged. My experierence here matches the description @JohnH has made a couple of times.

I also own both a Weber MiniMASS and two JohnH M2 (8ohm & 16ohm) attenuators and must echo these assessments! The Weber is handy to keep, as it easily accommodates almost any impedance situation and I know what to expect in terms of tonal compromise. I generally only use it for checking out prospective amp purchases AND it was fairly cheap! I would not use the Weber for performance though!

Just My Experiencin'
Gene

Yes, the SV20 was the reason I built the JohnH Attenuator.

I think it works extremely well. To get the tone out of the SV that I want, I set the High Treble around 8 and Normal around 6, jumpered.

Pretty similar for me, except the channel volumes tend to be a little bit closere to being dimed! As in Hi Trable dimed and Normal at about 8. That's plugged into the Hi Treble High input and jumped from that channel's low input to the Normal High input.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 112869

Hi to everyone here!
I've been a reader of this forum for quite a while now but thought it would be good to post my experiences with my SV20C. Maybe helpful to some.

Prior to buying the Mini Plexi, I've used to play a '82 2204 with an Orange 2x12 CB Made in the UK cab with V30s. Besides that I play a '73 Vibrochamp with a Jensen P10r Alnico.

The mini Plexi gets played mostly wiith my new Gibson SG '61 Standard in Eb which I love.

Disclaimer: I play only at home. The band is gone and people seem to get lazy :)

So, first thing I read here is that everybody seems to be ditching the speaker and recommend at least a Greenback. Did that and went back to the V-Type. Why? I liked the bottom end it gives me better.

2nd thing is that everybody dismisses the Bugera PS1 attenuator claiming it sucks tone. Can't say anything bad about the Bugera. I use it with my amp with great results at TV volume levels or maybe slightly above that.
First I thought it is crap, when I first used it and it took me some time to dialing in the amp... it is my first Plexi after all and after fiddling the knobs of my amp and the Bugera, I found the sound I wished for.
It saved me of buying a much more expensive attenuator.

3rd thing I've noticed is, no pop in the effects loop using TB pedals (a JAM Big Chill trem and the MXR Carbon Cop delay). Mine was build in the 22nd week of 2019.

I like it more than my 2204 as it is warmer, has this sag when pushed and more grit/hair in the overdrive and takes pedals really well (eventhough I seem to love the sound being somewhat crashed by overdriving the input). I also play a JMI ToneBender MKII which I do really like and the High Input of my 2204 doesn't like it at at.

Thanks for reading and yeah, love it :.)
:welcome:
To The Forum
They are great amps, and congrats are in order.. nice that you have gotten the tone you’re after..

Cheers
Mitch

Reactions: 696

johan.b

Reaction score
...a little recording featuring the SV20 for all guitars...(and my 1960 les paul junior)
... my ancient copy of ezdrummer acted up and I hit youtube for a solution but Found EZD3 with the bandmate feature.... and here we are.... sorry about the strained vocals. I havn't sung in two years and att first had trouble getting up in pitch...I should probably practice and redo it, but.. oh well... it's just a demo.. enough derailment.... and oh... the song is blood of the sun by Mountain

.... back to regular schedule...
J

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
...a little recording featuring the SV20 for all guitars...(and my 1960 les paul junior)
... my ancient copy of ezdrummer acted up and I hit youtube for a solution but Found EZD3 with the bandmate feature.... and here we are.... sorry about the strained vocals. I havn't sung in two years and att first had trouble getting up in pitch...I should probably practice and redo it, but.. oh well... it's just a demo.. enough derailment.... and oh... the song is blood of the sun by Mountain

.... back to regular schedule...
J

That was damn good buddy.

Cheers

Anthony8801

Reaction score
First time poster, read through a lot of the thread just for fun, Even though I don’t really understand much about speakers and cabs, it was pretty informative, and for the most part convinced me to pick up this amp.

I just grabbed the SV20c, im pretty well still a beginner, I taught myself to play just for fun, over the pandemic it really became a big hobby for me. Im just a basement player with a couple buddies that I jam with, but nothing crazy.

I definitely didn’t need this amp, nor am I skilled enough to take advantage of its true potential, but boy this thing is fun!! This this is WAY more than I need, it’s crazy loud, it’s probably one of the more difficult amps to tame (in my small experience) but it is seriously so much fun!

I’ve always gravitated towards fender amps, I’ve bought and sold quite a few during the last couple years and none of them have really got me super excited. I currently have a tone master deluxe reverb which I adore because of the power attenuation that still sounds great at lower volumes, but I’ve always wanted that Marshall sound.

The studio series was always way out of my league, but something came up locally that was within my budget range, so I sold some stuff and grabbed it.

I was able to crank the amp at 5 watts last night, and holy moly that thing is crazy!! Just the sound quality, and that sweet breakup sound, it’s been well worth the purchase so far. Im going to purchase the JHS LBB to play at quieter volumes, but I can’t get over how excited I am for this amp.

G the wildman

Reaction score
First time poster, read through a lot of the thread just for fun, Even though I don’t really understand much about speakers and cabs, it was pretty informative, and for the most part convinced me to pick up this amp.

I just grabbed the SV20c, im pretty well still a beginner, I taught myself to play just for fun, over the pandemic it really became a big hobby for me. Im just a basement player with a couple buddies that I jam with, but nothing crazy.

I definitely didn’t need this amp, nor am I skilled enough to take advantage of its true potential, but boy this thing is fun!! This this is WAY more than I need, it’s crazy loud, it’s probably one of the more difficult amps to tame (in my small experience) but it is seriously so much fun!

I’ve always gravitated towards fender amps, I’ve bought and sold quite a few during the last couple years and none of them have really got me super excited. I currently have a tone master deluxe reverb which I adore because of the power attenuation that still sounds great at lower volumes, but I’ve always wanted that Marshall sound.

The studio series was always way out of my league, but something came up locally that was within my budget range, so I sold some stuff and grabbed it.

I was able to crank the amp at 5 watts last night, and holy moly that thing is crazy!! Just the sound quality, and that sweet breakup sound, it’s been well worth the purchase so far. Im going to purchase the JHS LBB to play at quieter volumes, but I can’t get over how excited I am for this amp.

Great News,

It is a lot of amp - mine is more than I need but with attenuation it rocks. Today I had my hot rodded tele and Boss Blues driver in it. Got close to Clapton’s Lady Tone. Real nice.

But you will damage your hearing quickly if you do not attenuate.

5 watts is very loud, with no Master Volume.

Anyway Congrats and enjoy!

ken361

Reaction score
The 20 watts is were the tone is at with my 212. The 5 cranked takes the highs out imo. I went from the DSL 40c and the Origin 50 c to the SV it was less loud with the smaller cab and less watts. 3 years later with the 212 it's like dam its loud in my basement lol 😆 sounds great though.

Tiboy

Reaction score
The 20 watts is were the tone is at with my 212. The 5 cranked takes the highs out imo. I went from the DSL 40c and the Origin 50 c to the SV it was less loud with the smaller cab and less watts. 3 years later with the 212 it's like dam its loud in my basement lol 😆 sounds great though.
I agree. I have a Weber attenuator. But neither the attenuator, nor the 5W satisfy. Fortunately, I’m running 3 amps with a switcher. So I can move in and out of the SV at 20W briefly to preserve my hearing. If I stay with 20W I use ear protection. But that’s not optimal either.

ken361

Reaction score
I agree. I have a Weber attenuator. But neither the attenuator, nor the 5W satisfy. Fortunately, I’m running 3 amps with a switcher. So I can move in and out of the SV at 20W briefly to preserve my hearing. If I stay with 20W I use ear protection. But that’s not optimal either.
As long you don't play too long rock out

Anthony8801

Reaction score
Great News,

It is a lot of amp - mine is more than I need but with attenuation it rocks. Today I had my hot rodded tele and Boss Blues driver in it. Got close to Clapton’s Lady Tone. Real nice.

But you will damage your hearing quickly if you do not attenuate.

5 watts is very loud, with no Master Volume.

Anyway Congrats and enjoy!

Oh man that’s awesome! I need to grab myself a blues driver.. it’s been on my want list for a while.

Absolutely agreed. I know the JHS isn’t the best solution, but it’ll be perfectly fine for me for the time being.

But even the amp at a lower breakup point sounds great and is manageable. I sit far enough away from the amp, with the levels not that high, it still sounds awesome. I have a wampler tumnus pushing the front of the amp a bit, it sounds so juicy!

lp1987x

Reaction score
Just wanted to add a low volume solution for those still searching for one. I've been gigging with the SV20H and the SV212 loaded with '72 Pulsonic-coned Greenbacks since I bought in late 2019. I've always used either a Bad Cat Unleash 2 or a Fryette PS2 to attenuate it and it sounds great. I've tried the volume box in the effects loop with less than satisfying results since I want the gain to come from the amp.

Lately, I've been wanting a quicker/easier set-up and tried a Timmy pedal in the loop, which is a really transparent pedal. With the volume knob very low on the Timmy, I can use the Bass, Treble and Gain knobs to compensate for the changes resulting from the power section of the amp not getting as much signal. I've found with the Volume on 7-8 o'clock, Bass at full, Treble at 5 o'clock, and Gain at noon on the Timmy, the tone is very close to the unattenuated sound of the SV20 at a much more reasonable volume. I think it sounds closer than the Bad Cat or Fryette. The added benefit is that I can run a boost for solos after the Timmy (I use the full-sized Spark), along with my delays and reverbs. YMMV.

Tiboy

Reaction score
Just wanted to add a low volume solution for those still searching for one. I've been gigging with the SV20H and the SV212 loaded with '72 Pulsonic-coned Greenbacks since I bought in late 2019. I've always used either a Bad Cat Unleash 2 or a Fryette PS2 to attenuate it and it sounds great. I've tried the volume box in the effects loop with less than satisfying results since I want the gain to come from the amp.

Lately, I've been wanting a quicker/easier set-up and tried a Timmy pedal in the loop, which is a really transparent pedal. With the volume knob very low on the Timmy, I can use the Bass, Treble and Gain knobs to compensate for the changes resulting from the power section of the amp not getting as much signal. I've found with the Volume on 7-8 o'clock, Bass at full, Treble at 5 o'clock, and Gain at noon on the Timmy, the tone is very close to the unattenuated sound of the SV20 at a much more reasonable volume. I think it sounds closer than the Bad Cat or Fryette. The added benefit is that I can run a boost for solos after the Timmy (I use the full-sized Spark), along with my delays and reverbs. YMMV.
That’s interesting and enlightening. Based on the various forums I’m on, I expected the Freyette to the ”best” solution to reducing volume and retaining tone. I just assumed that option was not optimal based on price and availability. You may have just saved me a lot of money. I will add that I run a 10 band EQ. I find that I can use it to reduce volume and tweak it to preserve tone. Very small adjustments.

lp1987x

Reaction score
That’s interesting and enlightening. Based on the various forums I’m on, I expected the Freyette to the ”best” solution to reducing volume and retaining tone. I just assumed that option was not optimal based on price and availability. You may have just saved me a lot of money. I will add that I run a 10 band EQ. I find that I can use it to reduce volume and tweak it to preserve tone. Very small adjustments.
The Fryette sounds great. The main downside is that it weighs as much if not more than the amp. Not a big deal for home use but a bit of a pain when you gig.

Anthony8801

Reaction score

That’s a great idea! I’m going to give that a try.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score

:welcome:
To The Forum
And the land of Marshall !!

Mitch

Latest posts