The Official Marshall Studio Classic Thread Sc20

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweet man, Congrats Tex! :cheers:

Have you played it some yet?

I’m wondering how the combos 10” speaker will match up to your Studio 800 head and whatever cab you use with it.

Only have gotten to play it for about 1/2 hour.

My 2x12 has a Vintage 30 and a Creamback in it. The combo's single V-Type definitely is different. In the next day to two, lots going on, I plan to set the amps up the same and A-B them. Even though I can hear a difference, I want to hear them one against the other, same guitar, same settings. I'm curious myself.

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Double SC20's now.

Can be played in stereo.

AllMarshallCabinetsmall.jpg

I was asked for a comparison, so here it is.

Played the new SC20C against the SC20H I've had, and played them together.

I generally like to play with lower mids as predominant as the upper mids. I use a 10 band EQ, mostly. I boost the low mids and roll off the low end, so I a bit of a richer, more full tone, without being bass-y.

My 2x12 works well for me as is, generally. It has a Creamback G12H 75 and a Vintage 30. The Vintage 30 helps fill in those lower mids to compliment the Creamback. Both speakers are rated 100db.

Their frequency response graphs.

Vintage 30.
T3903-Vintage-30.jpg

Creamback H 75
T5890-Creamback.jpg

The Celestion V-Type 10" in the SC20C is the classic Marshall Creamback-ish/Greenback-ish tone. It's a beautiful tone, I just like my tone more as described above. Here is its frequency response graph.

T5991-VT.jpg

The combo is a great amp! It can get plenty loud. I have no intention of letting it go. I can get what I want out of it unmolested.

I could go on and on about my side by side and stereo testing. Different pickups selected. Different guitars. Using Low Sensitivity Input in lieu of High Sensitivity Input. No pedals at all, most of the side by side. But, also with some pedals. I played around for a long time. But the above is the bottom line for me.

Your mileage will vary, because we're all different, with different tastes. And I know there are people on here that have been doing this longer and know much more than I do.

As long as I am putting in graphs for comparison, here it is for a G12M Greenback.
T1221-G12M-Greenback.jpg

I hope you found this entertaining. Possibly informative. But it's only my opinion.

*Oh, last bit of info. I bought this particular amp, with its snakeskin Tolex, because it is supposed to have been played for no more than an hour, doesn't have a mark on it, and I bought it for about 45% off retail. Its tone will change once broken in, if I've been given accurate information.
I'd have preferred standard black & gold. But the deal was too good.

:cheers:

Last edited:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Double SC20's now.

Can be played in stereo.

View attachment 120382

Played the new SC20C against the SC20H I've had, and played them together.

I generally like to play with lower mids as predominant as the upper mids. I use a 10 band EQ, mostly. I boost the low mids and roll off the low end, so I a bit of a richer, more full tone, without being bass-y.

My 2x12 works well for me as is, generally. It has a Creamback G12H 75 and a Vintage 30. The Vintage 30 helps fill in those lower mids to compliment the Creamback. Both speakers are rated 100db.

Their frequency response graphs.

Vintage 30.
View attachment 120385

Creamback H 75
View attachment 120386

The Celestion V-Type 10" in the SC20C is the classic Marshall Creamback-ish/Greenback-ish tone. It's a beautiful tone, I just like my tone more as described above. Here is its frequency response graph.

View attachment 120387

The combo is a great amp! It can get plenty loud. I have no intention of letting it go. I can get what I want out of it unmolested.

I could go on and on about my side by side and stereo testing. Different pickups selected. Different guitars. Using Low Sensitivity Input in lieu of High Sensitivity Input. No pedals at all, most of the side by side. But, also with some pedals. I played around for a long time. But the above is the bottom line for me.

Your mileage will vary, because we're all different, with different tastes. And I know there are people on here that have been doing this longer and know much more than I do.

As long as I am putting in graphs for comparison, here it is for a G12M Greenback.
View attachment 120388

I hope you found this entertaining. Possibly informative. But it's only my opinion.

*Oh, last bit of info. I bought this particular amp, with its snakeskin Tolex, because it is supposed to have been played for no more than an hour, doesn't have a mark on it, and I bought it for about 45% off retail. It's tone will change once broken in, if I've been given accurate information.

Very nice Tex, looks like hours of Marshall goodness at your house bro, congrats man!

I’m not a big fan of different colored tolexes’ they seem like gimmickry’s to me. But that snakeskin tolex is totally Badass imo man!

Enjoy in good health man!

(I hate you) :D

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took mine for a romp. Been awhile since I fired her up! LM at noon, 800 gain at noon, volume 1pm. 20 watts

Sounds Great man!

There are two different ones of those Hot Mods aren’t there? Which Hot Mod did you get bro, the one with the additional gain and bass switch?

solarburn

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds Great man!

There are two different ones of those Hot Mods aren’t there? Which Hot Mod did you get bro, the one with the additional gain and bass switch?
I got the Lynch Mod which has the gain pot instead of toggle switch. The LM has a deep switch too.

Old Punker

Reaction score
I started using two 1-12 cabs instead of only a single 12” cab, with my SC20. I had been using the cab with my Dsl1hr but I don’t play that much anymore sooo.

The amp sounds much bigger with 2-12s.

I’ll keep it this way for a while. The Marshall cab has a Creamback 65, and the other cab, (Blackheart), has a Greenback. I also have a ET-65 from WGS that I might try in the Blackheart cab.

Sorry for the ginormous pic, it’s either tiny or huge!
Yeah more speakers definitely give a bigger sound. I have a couple of 2x12's and since I bought my SC20H I've only run it through either one of them. Lately I've been thinking about connecting both of them to my Marshall head, since the two speaker types (V30 and V-type) may complement each other. It may end up being too loud for my basement though.

Old Punker

Reaction score
So who’s using attenuators and who’s fine without ?
What are the results you’ve achieved?

Just curious. I just got an iron king mini . So I’m curious
Thanks
I run my SC20H without attenuator 99% of the time because I can get a really nice tone from it on its own. I originally bought my Power Station to use with the SC20H but ended up using it to boost my little 1W tube head instead.

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m fine without, band rehearses in my basement, we’re loud but neighbors aren’t complaining.

I prefer mine with greenback loaded 4x12, I recently got the matching 2x12 with V-type and it seems more “harsh”. Needs some break in time, but the greenbacks in the 1960A are new also.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah more speakers definitely give a bigger sound. I have a couple of 2x12's and since I bought my SC20H I've only run it through either one of them. Lately I've been thinking about connecting both of them to my Marshall head, since the two speaker types (V30 and V-type) may complement each other. It may end up being too loud for my basement though.
Oh yeah man, you should try it just to see, and hear!

V30s sensitivity is 100db, I think a V-Type is 98db. Would there be a noticeable difference in volume between the two cabs?

GregM

Reaction score
I had my ex supervisor over in October, he used to own a 2203 back in the early 80s . He wanted a combo till he saw my sc20 h .
I have since driven him to get a 4x12 with gt70s (slanted cab ) and he is ordering an sc20h .
I think he liked it ( understatement)

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I’m fine without, band rehearses in my basement, we’re loud but neighbors aren’t complaining.

I prefer mine with greenback loaded 4x12, I recently got the matching 2x12 with V-type and it seems more “harsh”. Needs some break in time, but the greenbacks in the 1960A are new also.
Yes, a 4x12 always sounds better, IMO, and two 4x12's even better. I have a couple of 1x12's, one with a Creamback, and one with a Greenback that I use in another room with my Studio amps. The sound is OK, but smaller and not as complex as when I run them through a 4x12.

Old Punker

Reaction score
I had my ex supervisor over in October, he used to own a 2203 back in the early 80s . He wanted a combo till he saw my sc20 h .
I have since driven him to get a 4x12 with gt70s (slanted cab ) and he is ordering an sc20h .
I think he liked it ( understatement)
You should get a sales commission from Marshall!

Wow, your ex supervisor must be a cool dude. If I ever had my ex boss over to my house it would only be for target practice! 1670874915371.png

Last edited:

Old Punker

Reaction score
Oh yeah man, you should try it just to see, and hear!

V30s sensitivity is 100db, I think a V-Type is 98db. Would there be a noticeable difference in volume between the two cabs?
There should be a slight volume difference, but I doubt I would notice it at the volumes I play here. I'm wondering if I'll notice the difference if frequency response, or maybe I'll only perceive the overall effect, after all of the complicated physics (that I don't understand) happens? :scratch:

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
There should be a slight volume difference, but I doubt I would notice it at the volumes I play here. I'm wondering if I'll notice the difference if frequency response, or maybe I'll only perceive the overall effect, after all of the complicated physics (that I don't understand) happens? :scratch:
Unless one is trying to squeeze all the volume they can out of a small amp, or match the volume of paired speakers, the slight difference in volume due to speaker efficiency is really irrelevant, just a different setting of the volume control.