The Official Marshall Origin 20 Thread...

heavypic

Reaction score
Hey all -

Well I'm kind of late to the party but after mulling over the Origin 20 head for the past year or so...and watching the price increases...I finally did the deal for a new one at a decent discount from an online vendor. I ordered the Peavey 212-6 Cab (two Greenback 25s) to go along with it. The Peavey is nice with the Greenbacks, all-plywood construction and optional, removable open-back panel, and mono/stereo input options, 16 and 8ohm respectively.

After my first long session with this set up, I really like what the Origin 20H delivers. I was able to play at full power setting (master at 4-6, gain at 4-6, guitar vols at 8) with the cab on a 10ft cord across an 18x18 room without abusing my hearing. I play blues and classic rock and plugged in my LP Special w/P90s...couldn't find a bad setting with that combo...clean or dirty...LOL!! The amp has good clean and moderate distortion tones and responsive controls that really help to shape the tone you're after. I played direct into the amp and also with a Keely modded TS-808 and a stock Boss OD-3. Both pedals sounded great through the amp...but I may be partial to the TS-808 for blues/rock tones...the OD-3 seems suited for classic rock tones. Allmans, Creme, ZZ, Mountain, AC/DC...all there...!! Gonna try the Strats (S/S/S) and LPs (H-H) next time. I'm guessing they'll sound great too! Seems like a very good and versatile amp! We'll see how the honeymoon goes...LOL!!

Not sure I'm missing reverb...most of my other amps are Fenders with spring reverb. I may need a reverb pedal for just a small touch. I have an old Boss GT-3 multi-pedal I may try in the loop.

Anyway...thanks to y'all for the inspiration to finally make this purchase. My first Marshall amp...!!

Regards

steveb63

Reaction score
Hey all -

Well I'm kind of late to the party but after mulling over the Origin 20 head for the past year or so...and watching the price increases...I finally did the deal for a new one at a decent discount from an online vendor. I ordered the Peavey 212-6 Cab (two Greenback 25s) to go along with it. The Peavey is nice with the Greenbacks, all-plywood construction and optional, removable open-back panel, and mono/stereo input options, 16 and 8ohm respectively.

After my first long session with this set up, I really like what the Origin 20H delivers. I was able to play at full power setting (master at 4-6, gain at 4-6, guitar vols at 8) with the cab on a 10ft cord across an 18x18 room without abusing my hearing. I play blues and classic rock and plugged in my LP Special w/P90s...couldn't find a bad setting with that combo...clean or dirty...LOL!! The amp has good clean and moderate distortion tones and responsive controls that really help to shape the tone you're after. I played direct into the amp and also with a Keely modded TS-808 and a stock Boss OD-3. Both pedals sounded great through the amp...but I may be partial to the TS-808 for blues/rock tones...the OD-3 seems suited for classic rock tones. Allmans, Creme, ZZ, Mountain, AC/DC...all there...!! Gonna try the Strats (S/S/S) and LPs (H-H) next time. I'm guessing they'll sound great too! Seems like a very good and versatile amp! We'll see how the honeymoon goes...LOL!!

Not sure I'm missing reverb...most of my other amps are Fenders with spring reverb. I may need a reverb pedal for just a small touch. I have an old Boss GT-3 multi-pedal I may try in the loop.

Anyway...thanks to y'all for the inspiration to finally make this purchase. My first Marshall amp...!!

Regards
Congratulations on the new gear.

IMO, of course, my opinion only....... the Origin 20 and Greenbacks are an unbeatable combo.

Sounds, to me, like that amp was designed with a Greenback "type" speaker in mind.

Throw in a boost/ overdrive, that's some great rock n roll to be made.

Anyway, I guess I will be the first to say........... Got any gear pics?

Peace
Steve

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
Hey all -

Regards
Happy new amp/cab day!

I'm a fan of the peavey cabs too with my ORI20H. I have 2 of the 112-6 1x12 Greenback cabs and think they're great. I run them in closed back configuration.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
…………Not sure I'm missing reverb...most of my other amps are Fenders with spring reverb. I may need a reverb pedal for just a small touch. I have an old Boss GT-3 multi-pedal I may try in the loop.

Regards
Try a delay pedal in the loop instead of reverb, and try an eq pedal too. An eq pedal in the loop makes virtually every Marshall amplifier blossom and bloom! Lol

Lot of people use them, it’s a great way to really sculpt and tailor your tone to your taste. They’re more transparent than most other pedals imo.

They work great, I use one with both my SC20 and my Dsl1.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Messin' with my O20H again today.
Did a power tube swap with my DSL20HR.
Moved the 6CA7's to the Origin and put the E34L's in the DSL.

I got the E34L's for the O20 upon recommendation from another thread (perhaps this thread?).
Also decided to try something different in the DSL at the same time so I got a pair of 6CA7's.
Definite improvement over stock EL34's in both amps, and I left them that way ever since.

Pulled both chassis and switched the tubes.
Runing chassis out sitting on the cabs - LP Tribute with 61 Burstbuckers straight in, no pedals.
Not much change to the DSL (I crank that amp all the time...), but the Origin seems to really like the bigger bottle 6CA7's.
Volume & gain cranked with the boost on, and it stayed crisp and defined in full overdrive growl.
Started with everything else at noon, but even cranked, the TMB, Tilt & Presence were responsive to further tone shaping.
The greenbacks were roaring. :D

Just a suggestion if you're looking for an upgrade from stock tubes (IMHO / YMMV)

heavypic

Reaction score
Hey all,

Thanks for the replies and suggestions (the "recipe"...). I may give that SD-1 and GE-7 a try. Work has been busy. Just looking forward to finding more time to play with my new O20H and Peavey Cab 212-6. My Keeley modded TS-808 pedal sounded pretty good with the 'level' near 75% and gain at 25%. I was typically using more gain than level in the past with most of my amps but maxing the level with lower gain is a nice option too. More to come. Thanks all...

Regards

Manco

Reaction score
Hello everyone!! Just comment. I bought a Greenback G12M-25 8ohms for my combo Origin 20. I will build a box for de 12" and use the como as a head.
It arrives at the end of the week. Really exited for hear it.
So. The recipe:
Epiphone LP standard + Origin20 + greenback

Best regards

Dave_11

Reaction score
Hello everyone!! Just comment. I bought a Greenback G12M-25 8ohms for my combo Origin 20. I will build a box for de 12" and use the como as a head.
If you have the tools and skills to build a cab for your 12" greenback, then you could easily build a new baffle for the Origin 20 and mount the 12" greenback in that.

M JUBE 64

Reaction score
Just got this O20H today. This thing kicks ass with my original 1987 jubilee 4x12.
Plugged straight in, this sounds better than my 1981 JMP and my 1987 Jubilee heads.
Absolutely amazing quality for the price! Got it new for $525. Time will tell how it holds up but
I'm thoroughly impressed so far. Sent my little DSL 1 practice amp back after one day of use. the input jack stopped working after around 2 hours. Glad I got this instead and glad I didn't listen to all the bashers hating on this amp. This is not what they described.
313397366_502525785247639_4581936166248667665_n.jpg

steveb63

Reaction score
Just got this O20H today. This thing kicks ass with my original 1987 jubilee 4x12.
Plugged straight in, this sounds better than my 1981 JMP and my 1987 Jubilee heads.
Absolutely amazing quality for the price! Got it new for $525. Time will tell how it holds up but
I'm thoroughly impressed so far. Sent my little DSL 1 practice amp back after one day of use. the input jack stopped working after around 2 hours. Glad I got this instead and glad I didn't listen to all the bashers hating on this amp. This is not what they described.
View attachment 118373
Congratulations
I don't know how it sounds, but it looks pretty bad azz.

OriginOfTheSpecies

Reaction score
+1 on the Greenback love. I swapped out one g12-t75 in a 2x12 for a current production g12m-25 and it's perfect. I also built a rangemaster to boost it and I'm getting a really complex harmonically rich cranked Marshall tone. The best part is with an attenuator and power scaling it still sounds great at household volume.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 118373
HNAD!
Take the ass-kickin' up a notch - EQ in the loop, and ditch those stock tubes. :yesway:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, first thing I did was put my old GE 7 in the loop. I think the stock tubes sound pretty good ... What tubes do you recommend ? will they make that big of difference in this amp?
Tubes (and speakers) are kind of a subjective personal preference thing - but I've found that what I put in sounded way better than the stock ones did - in every Marshall amp I've had.
Marshall branded tubes are a collection of what brands are available in bulk at any given time.
They are in no way "premium", and probably not as good as just about anything that's packaged for retail distribution.
Currently my O20H is running JJ 6CA7 power tubes and JJ ECC803S long plate preamps (all 3 slots).

solarburn

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, first thing I did was put my old GE 7 in the loop. I think the stock tubes sound pretty good ... What tubes do you recommend ? will they make that big of difference in this amp?
Speakers make the biggest and best outcome for any amp especially a vintage rock sounding amp. The difference between my EVH 5153 412 & my EVH Iconic 412 was rediculous. The ORI into the EVH 5153 with Heritage greenbacks is glorious. All my amps into that cab get a level boost in sound and feel improvement. :drool:

Tubes can effect "feel" along with subtle tone changes. More specifically gain level of the preamp tubes can definitely. For example a 12AY7 in V1 adds articulation and clearer saturation. Less wooly gain. Matter of taste feel/sound wise.

A few ways to skin a cat. If money is tight? Use what the amp came with!

Last edited:

Latest posts