The fishing thread

belleswell

Reaction score
Twenty Page Milestone. Fishing thread in a guitar forum.

Every fall about this time, I buy some minnows from the hatchery where
I get the fish for our pond. Two gallons of fathead minnows keep the perch
happy through the winter, although the bass and hybrid gills will also eat some.
This Kingfisher showed up the day after I put the minnows in the pond and he seems
to be quite efficient at feeding on them.

Kingfisher
91CRQlph.jpg

tpp1JUDh.jpg

Nfuyqe8h.jpg

CdqCnaEh.jpg

vUvfq4Mh.jpg

phjVcs3h.jpg

Mourguitars

Reaction score
Twenty Page Milestone. Fishing thread in a guitar forum.

Every fall about this time, I buy some minnows from the hatchery where
I get the fish for our pond. Two gallons of fathead minnows keep the perch
happy through the winter, although the bass and hybrid gills will also eat some.
This Kingfisher showed up the day after I put the minnows in the pond and he seems
to be quite efficient at feeding on them.

Kingfisher
91CRQlph.jpg

tpp1JUDh.jpg

Nfuyqe8h.jpg

CdqCnaEh.jpg

vUvfq4Mh.jpg

phjVcs3h.jpg
Great pics !

Mourguitars

Reaction score
Do any of you guys up north pickle any fish ?

I see they do Pike but i love pickled stuff and is wondering what fish down here in Fl we have that would be good for that, not going to do Grouper or Snapper but i was thinking of a small Amberjack, or banned rudder fish i think they are calling them now....

People are fishing but not getting any pics so fishing is different than catching ...lol...Right ?

Enjoy the Fall season !

Mike

belleswell

Reaction score
Do any of you guys up north pickle any fish ?

I see they do Pike but i love pickled stuff and is wondering what fish down here in Fl we have that would be good for that, not going to do Grouper or Snapper but i was thinking of a small Amberjack, or banned rudder fish i think they are calling them now....

People are fishing but not getting any pics so fishing is different than catching ...lol...Right ?

Enjoy the Fall season !

Mike

I have a friend that does this with northern pike. I've never bothered as I've not yet met a pike that tastes good to me.

I myself am a very good at smoking fish. Especially salmon and trout, although I've also smoked whitefish and menominee as well ( a cousin of the whitefish found in the Great Lakes). My smoker is a refrigerator that was gutted and relined with the proper sheet metal. The regular door and the freezer door have been switched. The bottom freezer door has a louver style floor vent in the door that can be adjusted, and on top there is a 4 inch stack with an adjustable lever controlled plate, on top of which is a witches cap to keep rain out. The vent on the bottom and top controls the air flow.

The bottom section has a big tray for the charcoal and then I use a smaller tray that sits on top the glowing charcoal embers in which the moistened wood chips sit. The top section has L brackets mounted on both sides
so that stove or refrigerator racks can slide onto. This allows me to move the racks around within the smoker so
that all get done.

I do a hot smoke which involves temps of 140 degrees (first hour) up to 180 for the duration. If I start at 6 am with the brine and forming the pellicule ( 3 to 5 hours ), and then the rest of the time in the smoker, will take up to midnight to finish. Some smaller fillets will be ready after 6 to 8 hours and larger fish can take up to twice that.
All of the fillets are boneless and skinned and sit directly on the racks which have a bunch of Pam sprayed on them to avoid sticking.

The hot form of smoking lets me keep the finished product in the frig for up to a month. I save out what I plan on eating and gifting and freeze the rest in food saver bags.

The other form of smoking is a "cold" form of smoking involving much lower temps. Around 120 degrees. This smoking process can take a few days to complete but the finished product has a much longer shelf life in the frig. Months. I've never had the patience to try to keep a smoker fueled and stoked for days at a time. A full day of it
is all the fun I can stand at a time. I smell more like smoked fish than the fish do by the time I'm done. lol

I have had this smoker since 1972 and my guess is that doing 20 to 25 fish at a time, up to 3 times a year when
I was younger, has had this particular smoker cranking out a ton or more of smoked fish literally. At my old address when I lived in the city, I had all my neighbors stopping by to check the progress as the smoke was a give away.

I've also smoked a bunch of venison jerky in this smoker. Usually about 25 lbs to 30 lbs. of stripped out jerky strips per deer out of a 35 to 40 lb total boneless and trimmed meat on average. The rest are the steak cuts I save or parts too small to strip out, which gets ground into burg.

I could write a book on the particulars of the brine, the types of wood chips, how I keep the wood chips moistened to avoid flareups, and the maple syrup that I baste onto the skinned fillets about an hour into the
smoking process. The amount of time spent on racks drying to form a pellicule before going into the smoker.

It's all the little things that one does that make up the big picture for my smoked fish that many have begged me to sell them some. A two to three hour trip for the truck to drag the boat to the big pond, gas costs as well for the boat , launch fees, the drive back home at the end of the day all adds up.

It sometimes took 3 trips to get enough to fill the smoker, and then there is the cost of the ingredients. I can only guess how much it cost me to make. Rather that trying to put a price on it which I'm sure no one could afford, I would just give it away, as complementing me usually worked for getting some for free.

Steelhead - Surf Fishing Lake Michigan - 2 lb test leaders - 0 to 1 foot waves = 1 oz pyramid
klOpAdFh.jpg

Surf Fishing Lake Michigan - Sunset
70DDzUMh.jpg

Last edited:

Blokkadeleider

Reaction score
damn straight. love creek and river wading for trout. its an experience all to its own.
if you can camp creek side too.........

I've got the receipts.

For size reference the slats are 10 inches wide
nErfsBoh.jpg

Small stream browns
zEWIfb5h.jpg

Xh6jtSQh.jpg

Small creek steelhead on 2 lb test
8jP9tBYh.jpg

Seriously! It's in the middle of the night and I discover this thread. And now I'm hungry from all those appetizing pics...

Gr,

Gerrit.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Seriously! It's in the middle of the night and I discover this thread. And now I'm hungry from all those appetizing pics...

Gr,

Gerrit.
what gets me is we are 20 pages in and your just now gettin here.
kinda like going to a keg party and there is 4 glasses left and then you walk through the door. lol

Blokkadeleider

Reaction score
but your here now and you can never leave.
you fish or just a fan fav of the many flovers?

I only fish when I'm in Scandinavia, which is not often. I'm not very good at it either although I always manage to get out something eatable. I show my greatest skill at the fish market. ;)

Gr,

Gerrit.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
I only fish when I'm in Scandinavia, which is not often. I'm not very good at it either although I always manage to get out something eatable. I show my greatest skill at the fish market. ;)

Gr,

Gerrit.
hey none of us are good at it. we leave lures in trees, bait stuck in logs, the fish win more often than not, but we
never give up and keep going back for more.
so ya dont have to be good you just cant give up.
tons of good fishing in scandi from the pics ive seen and stories ive read.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
I'll bite. Do tell.
hook set, fish on!

ok you talked me into it.
ok, for about a week ive been trying to talk myself into going fishing. i know i know, "who should NEED that"
right? its just a pain in the ass to get everything ready. the long drive. cant take the dogs as there are
copperheads........ i have 100 more excuses. now this was two weeks ago. i spent a week getting ready
for the big day ok. monday. so, im just about ready, packed up, new line, a few new lures, that type ready.

so the plan was to go get my hair cut and hit the fishing spot after. the night before i started getting these thoughts "fuck it, i'll just go next weekend". so then i started telling myself
"nope your going. no more excusses. you havent been in a loooooong time, your going".

so alarm clock goes off and im up and at em. should i shower? no im going fishing. i keep looking at my
packed gear, tackle bag, waders, rod, backpack, "i'll just go next weekend" so im doing this all over again
but the feeling is strong and the voice in my head is louder than ever before DONT GO.

ok voice wins. 45 minute trip to get my hair cut. the lady has been cutting my hair for 20 plus yrs so yeah
45 minutes.
the whole trip its a beautiful day. blue skys, warm, amazing outside. sunny isnt exactly what you want for
trout here in GA but its a beautiful day.

ok on the way home i look as i turn right thinking that just two miles straight woulda been the fishing spot.
SMH and insulting myself as i make my turn and head home i start to get hungry.
12 miles ahead Mcdonalds. yuck but it will do.

so i arrive at mcdonalds and hit the drve thru get my food and im back on the road to home.
pissed that i talked myself out of a cool trip.

ok, after the last bite i get this strange feeling in my lower back right side.
i have a bad disk in my back from way back. hasnt messed with me in several yrs. strange
that its acting up now but i keep driving.

i keep shifting in my seat trying to get comfortable. not working. pain getting worse. then the pain moves
to my side then to my front to the upper right of the "mini me". holy shit this hurts like a mother fugger.
2 miles down the road im doubled over driving looking like Stephen fucking Hawkins trying to drive.
yep im passing a kidney stone. SON OF A BITCH.

i make it 25 miles away to the hospital after a quick stop at home for a shower. yes the whole clean underwear
thing we were told as a kid. yep 53 and i live that to the fullest.

at this point i cant even stand up straight and cant stop walking. walking is taking the knife edge off
the amazing pain im going through. just the edge if you know what im going through.

i get to the ER and its slap fucking full. im 32nd in line.
so the bitch behind the counter has me come over for a blood pressure temp check. she tells me to set down.
i told her i couldnt do it, that the pain was to great. she looks at me in disgust and puffs and gets the job done.
ok i tell them im going outside to walk as i need to keep moving right. well they didnt like that but at this point
im all out of fresh fucks to give. my international bank of fucks is at a huge deficit at the moment.

im outside pacing. 40 feet turn 40 feet back turn 40 feet..........
the pain got so great that moving was now hurting just as much as not. im completely bent over at the waist
like im looking at something on the ground. folks coming and going are just looking at me.

i at that moment remember where im at number wise in line and the concern on the hospital staffs faces
for my situation, NOT, and get down on one knee to see if that has any pain relief. NOPE not one ounce.
it was that moment in a uncontrolably loud voice i looked up and shouted out (again uncontrolably)
Jesus please help me. at that moment i heard in my own head "get up and walk", so i did.
at the very first step all my pain was gone. ALL OF IT. it was as though nothing had ever happened.

i stopped and remembered that loud voice in my head that morning telling me not to go fishing.
i was in shock to say the very least. i was doing the time math in my head as to where i would have been
if i actually did go fishing. from that right turn i told you about above to the time the pain hit me
would have been just enough time for me to have parked at the fishing spot, got out, wadered up, walked
the 1.1 miles in and been smack dab in the middle of the river when that pain hit.

i cant imagine the wading back out of the river and the walk back to the car, the dtive to the house
for the fast shower, and the 20 minute trip to the ER. i wouldnt have made it.

the very next morning i had my usual 35 minute drive to work and my usual talk along the way with our creator. this time though it was full of Thank you's and not full of the usual questions. not many times in ones
life can they say they have experienced instant pray/instant answer. words can not express what went through
my heart and my head the second i realized what had happened the moment i stood up right there in front of the ER that evening.

belleswell

Reaction score
i did get to go fishing today though. another story altogether if ya wanna hear it.
i bet i have a couple of campers pretty pissed off tonight but i had no choice in the situation. :p
Always listen to your instincts, which may be your guarding angel.

Regale us with another tale. Still got a full bag of popcorn.