Talk me into or out of this please UPDATE...

shredless

Reaction score
have you tried Mixcraft? it's similar to Audacity, as it works more like an analogue tape path using waves...

I use Adobe Audition. It used to be Cool Edit Pro, back in the '90s, then it became Cool Edit 2000, then Adobe swallowed them up. It works similarly to Audacity, but, now, they do the cloud subscription, so, I stick w/ my old version...
Staff member? Good for you, l guess l missed that.

I have reaper and acid working beautiful on my pc. Dont need a daw, just got all the warm fuzzies when l saw this digi 02 for cheep.

I have used cool edit pro before back in the day, audacity, cubase, fruity loops pre FL Studio...acid, sound forge.
Reaper has been a dream...actually acid 4.0 is my fave as its so much like tape.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Macs are way overrated and way overpriced. Speaking as the owner of both Macs and PCs, I would recommend that if you must have a Mac, get a fairly late model used one. Only then does the price/performance equation make any sense.

shredless

Reaction score
Well I bought the Mac pro the one I had originally talked about not the $11,000 one. It's an 09 Mac pro 4.1 quad core something or other. 30-in Apple Cinema display, and it came with two G-speed fiber optic raid array storage deals with SATA drives in them one's got 12 the others got six??? It's also got four internal hard drives some kind of big old G-Force video card. They used it for video editing out of a TV station so it's got final cut pro 7 on it it's got a lot of software I don't know what all it has yet seems to run great it's in great condition fairly clean. I really didn't pay much for it considering what people are asking for them online or on marketplace. My plan is to just put a fresh install on it run pro tools 8 with the 002 old school no internet...just have a solid pro tools rig like I always wanted. I'll just look at it while I use reaper on my PC

Redguitar

Reaction score
Thats good to know, this mac pro lm looking at has 10.6.8. do you have 8.03 or 8.05 pt on it?

Tell me more about your mac pro... Memory, etc...details?

That was one of my road blocks was I didn't know if 8 would run on 10.6.8 properly.
And I don't want it for the internet it's strictly going to be a disconnected recording machine only.
Hmmm....thanks!
PT 8.0.5. Mbox2.

The mac I bought used. It is not the holy grail choice of processors, but rightly close to those specs.
2 each 2.66 GHz dual-core Xeon...8GB ram, 1TB drive for audio and backup, another 1 TB for the system. That one is newer because the original one took a permanent vacation a few years back.

shredless

Reaction score
PT 8.0.5. Mbox2.

The mac I bought used. It is not the holy grail choice of processors, but rightly close to those specs.
2 each 2.66 GHz dual-core Xeon...8GB ram, 1TB drive for audio and backup, another 1 TB for the system. That one is newer because the original one took a permanent vacation a few years back.
Thats the same processors in mine.

Sadly mine took a dump today...not even one day. I swapped some hard drives, added memory, reinstalled os 10 and was ready to install protools.
Wiped it down a bit and blew some dust bunnies out, never booted back up. Spent hours today, no dice, black screen. Fans run but nothing else happens.

Highly bummed out at the moment

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Pull out the memory you added and try again. Memory faults are the most likely reason a mac won't boot if it's something that can be fixed by unplugging something.

shredless

Reaction score
Pull out the memory you added and try again. Memory faults are the most likely reason a mac won't boot if it's something that can be fixed by unplugging something.
Thank you, tried that.

Dont get it... It worked perfect, long enough to swap drives and add the os. I was about to set all the optimizations for pro tools and put the ptle8 disc in. Hadnt changed any settings yet. I just gently wiped the aluminum down with a rag and wanted to close the box up and when l restarted, it was black.

Tested with good monitor, same... tested apple monitor on as another PC, just fine.

Removed n reseated everything except psu, cleaned channels n pins with deoxit and alcohol. No dice, pulled all dimm, new battery, reset button. Original hd with working os, nada.

I have power up, hd spinup, fans run. But no chime and no screen. Seems as if keyboard is non responsive as well. Cant get any commands thru. Like eject, boot from dvd, or the pram reset.

Diagnostic LEDs all show normal....l tried a cheap dell video card that works in my daily pc...nope, but it doesnt work in 2 other PCs l own, so l cant trust that.

Im leaning towards video card, but hate to throw money at this point.

I love the modularity of this thing though!

shredless

Reaction score
So found what l think happened. Northbridge heatsink rivet failure, common problem it seems. Prolly happened while working it during install. Rivets are plastic, get brittle and pop off as they are spring loaded. Northbridge overheats and possibly kills itself and the cpu board...oh yay.

Im 3 benjies into this and not sure if l wanna go further

shredless

Reaction score
By the way I'm not smartz... I'm just good at googling and turning Bible pages

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Staff member? Good for you, l guess l missed that.
lol, I've been since 2014? :)...
I have reaper and acid working beautiful on my pc. Dont need a daw, just got all the warm fuzzies when l saw this digi 02 for cheep.

I have used cool edit pro before back in the day, audacity, cubase, fruity loops pre FL Studio...acid, sound forge.
Reaper has been a dream...actually acid 4.0 is my fave as its so much like tape.
I meant Reaper, not Audacity... Mixcraft is like Reaper, same difference though...

Blues n' Cues used to like it best...

shredless

Reaction score
Okidokiees... I got it to boot and run tonight. Removed one cpu and left just 2 sticks of ram. Boots, runs, works...but gets hot. Fan speeds increase over 10 minutes, glitchy mouse couldnt get to shutdown via screen. Had to use power button. Then would not reboot as l think its to hot.

I will be replaceing rivits with correct parts ad repasting the northbridge and the cpu. Hopefully that will keep its cool.

Its a good sign, seems everything is at least in operable condition. Other than 1 cpu. I have a complete cpu tray unit incoming, hopefully it slides in and works, or at least gives me options.

Im happy it started for now

shredless

Reaction score
Whelp, l got lucky, l guess...l bought a cpu board off ebay, it travelled across the us by ups. Arrived in a beautiful perfect condition box I opened it up it was sealed in a correct anti-static bag. I open it up fully expecting it to be f'ed up. And it was a beautiful, it was clean, it was mint. It worked perfect and has 64gb of ram!

Today I got pro tools loaded hooked it up to the 002 everything works it's perfect. Other than being you know more than 10 years old with old software it's perfect.

Ive conquered, now l can pack it away and go back to adhd un-acomplish-ville