Talk me into or out of this please UPDATE...

shredless

Reaction score
I don't know where discussions of recording setups go if this isn't it sorry you can move it or direct me where to put it.

I swore off pro tools years ago I've talked down about pro tools for years. I've been eyeballing a double O2 console in a pawn shop for several months and today I got it basically risk-free meaning I can return it within 30 days, and relatively cheap.

I know I can't use it with Windows I know I can't use it with reaper I know I can use it as a standalone mixer with reverb and delay if I'd like to. That was a bonus I only learned after I brought it home.

The biggest issue I had years ago was trying to run it on the Windows machine not being able to afford a Mac, when I finally decided to buy a Mac I bought the wrong one and pro tools wouldn't run properly on it.

I mean I've had every pro tools interface except HD I've had avid digidesign, maudio.
From the 001 the mbox 002 rack several 002 consoles even the 11 rack which was actually the only one that I was able to ever use to actually record something.

Well on my way home from buying this piece of nostalgic for me gear I head up Facebook marketplace and look for a Mac I found a really cool Mac with some really laid out accoutrements at a really good price I think.

I actually bought a bunch of protools gear from this company which is a very reputable business about 10 years ago and it was amazing condition perfectly working order the killer price just like this current MAC is.

So here I am about to dive in to pro tools system again. I had an appointment today to go see it but something came up for the owners and I'm put off till tomorrow I should look at that as a sign to stay the f away but I know myself and The nostalgia value alone is worth the price of admission for all this gear.

I really don't need it I have a perfectly fine working reaper setup on Windows that never glitches never gives me any problem oh and I really never use it either but I like the fact that when I do want to use it it runs perfectly and doesn't glitch out which I can't save for pro tools in my past.

I think the Mac is a pretty solid system it's a Mac pro but of course there are a lot of threads on the internet about pro tools won't load pro tools won't run on my Mac pro on my Mac this... my Mac doesn't recognize a double O2.

Thing is I could never have a good Mac with pro tools and now that I have a possible chance of it for not a lot of money I'm seriously considering it thanks for wasting 5 minutes of your life reading this

Last edited:

playloud

Reaction score
I don't know where discussions of recording setups go if this isn't it sorry you can move it or direct me where to put it.

I swore off pro tools years ago I've talked down about pro tools for years. I've been eyeballing a double O2 console in a pawn shop for several months and today I got it basically risk-free meaning I can return it within 30 days, and relatively cheap.

I know I can't use it with Windows I know I can't use it with reaper I know I can use it as a standalone mixer with reverb and delay if I'd like to. That was a bonus I only learned after I brought it home.

The biggest issue I had years ago was trying to run it on the Windows machine not being able to afford a Mac, when I finally decided to buy a Mac I bought the wrong one and pro tools wouldn't run properly on it.

I mean I've had every pro tools interface except HD I've had avid digidesign, maudio.
From the 001 the mbox 002 rack several 002 consoles even the 11 rack which was actually the only one that I was able to ever use to actually record something.

Well on my way home from buying this piece of nostalgic for me gear I head up Facebook marketplace and look for a Mac I found a really cool Mac with some really laid out accoutrements at a really good price I think.

I actually bought a bunch of protools gear from this company which is a very reputable business about 10 years ago and it was amazing condition perfectly working order the killer price just like this current MAC is.

So here I am about to dive in to pro tools system again. I had an appointment today to go see it but something came up for the owners and I'm put off till tomorrow I should look at that as a sign to stay the f away but I know myself and The nostalgia value alone is worth the price of admission for all this gear.

I really don't need it I have a perfectly fine working reaper setup on Windows that never glitches never gives me any problem oh and I really never use it either but I like the fact that when I do want to use it it runs perfectly and doesn't glitch out which I can't save for pro tools in my past.

I think the Mac is a pretty solid system it's a Mac pro but of course there are a lot of threads on the internet about pro tools won't load pro tools won't run on my Mac pro on my Mac this... my Mac doesn't recognize a double O2.

Thing is I could never have a good Mac with pro tools and now that I have a possible chance of it for not a lot of money I'm seriously considering it thanks for wasting 5 minutes of your life reading this

A 002 in 2022?? Sounds like you're asking for problems, in my opinion.

What version of Pro Tools are you even able to run with those now?

I last used one of those around 2014 and it had no end of issues then.

By comparison, I bought a UAD Apollo Twin around that time, and I still use it to this day, with great results. I would strongly suggest that route if you go Mac. I also prefer Logic to PT (although their are pros/cons of each).

shredless

Reaction score
A 002 in 2022?? Sounds like you're asking for problems, in my opinion.

What version of Pro Tools are you even able to run with those now?

I last used one of those around 2014 and it had no end of issues then.

By comparison, I bought a UAD Apollo Twin around that time, and I still use it to this day, with great results. I would strongly suggest that route if you go Mac. I also prefer Logic to PT (although their are pros/cons of each).
Exactly, I have 5 through 8.05, however none run on win 10. I connected the 002 tonite to see if it would i/o with reaper...no dice.
I could run 8.05 on the mac pro, but l think lm bailing and sending the 002 back. I just needed to face facts and quit being nostalgic over the early 2000s and pro tools. I guess l have this need to conquer it after all these years.

playloud

Reaction score
Exactly, I have 5 through 8.05, however none run on win 10. I connected the 002 tonite to see if it would i/o with reaper...no dice.
I could run 8.05 on the mac pro, but l think lm bailing and sending the 002 back. I just needed to face facts and quit being nostalgic over the early 2000s and pro tools. I guess l have this need to conquer it after all these years.

If you're really set on Pro Tools, there's a new Mbox being released. I'd expect that to be compatible for a couple of years at least.

I still remember how long it took Avid to upgrade to 64-bit. Hard to justify dealing with that development cycle if you don't have tens of thousands wrapped up in a pro hardware system.

shredless

Reaction score
I'm not really set on pro tools, I just remember everybody had that back in the day and I kept throwing money at it and couldn't get it to work right. Now I have half a chance to get better gear than I had back then and its a strong pull.

Thank you for taking the time to get my head straight I'm not buying it I'm not buying the Mac I'm not going to keep the double O2 I'm going to keep the money!

nickfox

Reaction score

I have the same setup. An apollo twin and my macbook and also logic. I bought the uad 1073 unison plugin and the 1176 and la2a plugins so that I could get the classic 70s signal chain. Logic is truly great and I like that you can pay for it once and don't need to buy a subscription... :)

playloud

Reaction score
I have the same setup. An apollo twin and my macbook and also logic. I bought the uad 1073 unison plugin and the 1176 and la2a plugins so that I could get the classic 70s signal chain. Logic is truly great and I like that you can pay for it once and don't need to buy a subscription... :)

'Same' on literally every sentence! I've used the hardware versions of each of those units and - while they're great - I truly don't think you need them if you have the UAD equivalents.

I just got a set of the Slate VSX headphones and would also recommend them for a portable monitoring setup that's 'good enough for just about anything'. Modern digital recording tech is quite extraordinary.

shredless

Reaction score
I want this mac and pt so bad...but reaper works perfect all the time, anytime with a single faderport and a maudio air 192/4. Its glitch and hassle free. Nostalgia sucks...l spent 4 hours already just trying to get my win10 pc to recognize the 002 and show as an input in reaper...not happening.

Im all 4 returning the 002, but it looks sorta cool (makes me happy) and l realized it functions as a 8 channel mixer with reverb, delay and eq. In standalone mode. I can output that via analog or spidf/adat. And if l get a interface with adat... it will input to a daw. That may be worth keeping around for 90 bucks

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
I tend not to fix things that aren't broke, but a backup is sure nice to have.

No help, sorry.

shredless

Reaction score
Im just thinking out loud.
Back around 2002 l had a friend taking music production in college who got a student loan and built a small but pro style studio in his rich grandmas basement. I know that sounds ridic, but it had 3 rooms, sound proofed, fully wired with jacks in each room. He had a rack of impressive gear, several high end mics, l remember him spending 10 grand on 3 mics on a trip to guitar center. He had a mac desktop with a huge screen. His mobile rig was a mac laptop and 002 console. I was his "engineer" running the record system on a few occasions while he was recording his own album.
His gear worked perfect, never had a glitch.
I had been using a 4 track tape and just started dipping into recording digital with sony acid and a creative sound card...but it worked glitch free.

I had a little bit of money to work with and bought a mbox and pc. Thats when the frustration started...and never stopped with pt.... UNTIL about 2014 when l bought a mint, barely used protools system from a local tv station it ran glitch free, 002 rack, Command 8 pt 5.3....of course me not knowing tried to upgrade to pt7 and ruined the software and never did get it running again.

Fast fwd to now, same tv station has a killer older mac for sale and lm imagining putting all the pieces together to get a sweet mac system running pro tools. Like l can beat this, but why???

Crikey

Reaction score

Mac=Logic

Redguitar

Reaction score
My old mac pro running snow leopard V10.6.8 is so dang stable using PT8. But it struggles on the interweb.

shredless

Reaction score
My old mac pro running snow leopard V10.6.8 is so dang stable using PT8. But it struggles on the interweb.
Thats good to know, this mac pro lm looking at has 10.6.8. do you have 8.03 or 8.05 pt on it?

Tell me more about your mac pro... Memory, etc...details?

That was one of my road blocks was I didn't know if 8 would run on 10.6.8 properly.
And I don't want it for the internet it's strictly going to be a disconnected recording machine only.
Hmmm....thanks!

shredless

Reaction score
I get that about logic, keep hearing that. I dont want to learn anything new honestly

shredless

Reaction score
More ramblings from a PB...
Tried to install pro tools on my pc this afternoon and it got hung up installing drivers...lol
Typical

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
have you tried Mixcraft? it's similar to Audacity, as it works more like an analogue tape path using waves...

I use Adobe Audition. It used to be Cool Edit Pro, back in the '90s, then it became Cool Edit 2000, then Adobe swallowed them up. It works similarly to Audacity, but, now, they do the cloud subscription, so, I stick w/ my old version...