Switches switches switches

Sg-ocaster

Reaction score
So a freind of mine is giving me an SG copy guitar next week, I have no idea of brand its a rather inexpensive chinese guitar (probably amazon). Anyways its like a weird walnut color and being as Ive been watching Frank Zappa videos on youtube lately Ive decided I want to deck this thing out with every possible switch I (we) can think of.
So far I plan on a series/split/parallel for each pickup and a split half split switch wired off each one using a resistor. Any other ideas you guys got? I may look into building a green ringer circuit inside if its not to crazy. But I just want to have a crazy SG'ish thing with a million tone options without hacking one of my real ones up. Fire away...the more drilling the better too.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before :photos:
Perhaps add a 3rd pickup?
Exponential switch possibilities...

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
about a week ago, I saw someone selling a Jimmy Page chassis, for cheap, but, I don't have a guitar for it right off. Not sure if one would fit right into an SG - if the holes/cavity are the same on LP & SG... :shrug:

It incorporates push/pull pots to do the switching. I think it does everything from coil splitting to reverse phase...

that might be less drilling...

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
matter of fact, looks like it's still for sale. Not sure what they cost, if you order them new, but...

this guy wants some change for it, but it's available:

I saw some other guy sold one for $50

Sg-ocaster

Reaction score
That Page setup is pretty cool.
Yes phase theres another idea.
Any advantage to having 2 or 3 different tone cap values on a toggle??

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That Page setup is pretty cool.
Yes phase theres another idea.
Any advantage to having 2 or 3 different tone cap values on a toggle??
I have duel tone (.047 & .022) caps on a push pull 500k tone pot in my Hondo.
Surprisingly subtle differences, but obviously somewhat less treble with the .047 all the way on.
Worth a try, the sum of your components may yield more of a difference.
And, well, more switches...

JohnH

Reaction score
One limitation on the wiring options, for things like single coil, parallel, series on each pickup, is that you need four wires plus shield coming out of the pickup. Most simple guitars just come with one plus shield.

It is possible to open up most pickups and add those wires, at moderate risk. I've done it a few times.

PelliX

Reaction score
Optional stereo output? Built-in wireless?

Be careful asking for a whacky ideas on the MF.... :agreed:

Sg-ocaster

Reaction score
One limitation on the wiring options, for things like single coil, parallel, series on each pickup, is that you need four wires plus shield coming out of the pickup. Most simple guitars just come with one plus shield.

It is possible to open up most pickups and add those wires, at moderate risk. I've done it a few times.
Yea I'm pretty much planning on having to add 4 conductor wires to them.

I also like the 1 meg pot cock'd wah Idea too.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Direct out bypass. Allows you to have say both PUp on with volume lower. Activate and bridge goes straight to output. I have a few guitars as a push pull.
You are playing instead of fiddling with volumes controls for say cleanish to dirty back n forth in the same song.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Don't forget about the 'in phase' and 'out of phase' options.
Out of phase is really thin and tinny! Great stuff!

Coil tap too, where only half the winds are in play. Bit more tricky though.

ampeq

Reaction score
Gibson made a control board with the 4 vol & tone pots that would do about everything you could imagine. Might be an easy way to get what you want.

TassieViking

Reaction score
If you have 4 pots then change for 4 pots with push pull switches, 4 new switches.
Volume pot switch for coil splitting, or whichever way you like.
Tone control pot switch to add capacitors or anything you want.

You can also change the switch from ON/ON for pickups to a 3 position ON/ON/ON so the center position adds both pickups at the same time.
Or replace the switch with a rotary switch and go crazy, first guitar I ever made ended up with 3 humbuckers and a rotary switch so I could run 1, 1+2, 2, 2+3, 3, 3+1, I made it for fun and experimentation.

Latest posts