Suggestions for good horror movies to watch?

ELS

Reaction score
Any suggestions for good suspensfull horror movies? the ones that aren't just gory horror?

Bull Rock

Reaction score
Smile. ⭐⭐⭐
Spiral.⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
The latest Halloween⭐⭐⭐⭐
The Wolf Of Snow Hollow.⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Day Shift ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Reactions: ELS

ELS

Reaction score
Gee this forum seems to be more active about horror movies than guitar amps :D

Smile. ⭐⭐⭐
Spiral.⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
The latest Halloween⭐⭐⭐⭐
The Wolf Of Snow Hollow.⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Day Shift ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Not gory horror movies!
Spiral - well I'm not a fan of saw movies. and the wolf of snow hollow doesn't have that suspense either, especially the way how in the first 5 minutes someone was already turned inside out...
I like movies like the first Halloween, Get out! is also great.. that kind of suspense

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Gee this forum seems to be more active about horror movies than guitar amps :D

Not gory horror movies!
Spiral - well I'm not a fan of saw movies. and the wolf of snow hollow doesn't have that suspense either, especially the way how in the first 5 minutes someone was already turned inside out...
I like movies like the first Halloween, Get out! is also great.. that kind of suspense
You may want to avoid Event Horizon then, as there is some gore in it.

But it's the suspense that really gets you in this one.

Made two grown men in their mid 20's run back into the house and turn on all the lights after hearing a noise while we were smoking on the deck. Granted, we were stoned and had some drinks, but that movie was disturbing that first time, and still is.

Derek S

Reaction score
Of course there's always the classics. Alien, Silence of the Lambs, The Shining, The Ring, and don't laugh but I honestly don't find the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre gory in any way...but it's sure as hell creepy still to this day lol.

Modern scary movies get a bad rap IMO and are way underrated, there's definitely some outstanding new horror films that yes, rely on atmosphere and vibe more than simply disturbing imagery that just try's to make you vomit (I'm not a gore fan either - like for example the insanely overrated "Saw" series....heh, hot garbage IMO, too much gore to distract you from their lack of true dread/scares/chills).

I love these:

Insidious (there was several sequels but none can touch the original)
The Conjuring Trilogy (the first was epic, the following two not quite but still outstanding - honestly all 3 are great, no clunkers in the series)
It Follows (mentioned already for good reason, has equal parts of suspense, thriller, horror)
Don't Breathe (just the first one, the sequel was rubbish)
Lights Out (short but fuckin' awesome)
Sinister (again, just the original, the follow up was crap)
Annabelle CREATION (not sure how many Annabelle flicks got made, they all sucked except this one, which made up for the flops, it's excellent)
The Descent (ok, this one has some gore but it's sooooo great, the sense of claustrophobia is stellar and has some incred acting)
Ouija Origin of Evil (I believe this was the sequel and it was great where the original sucked)
You're Next (this has a B movie vibe but it's done really well, legit tension and scares, not "jump" stuff)
It (just pt 1, the sequel was pretty bad)

Last edited:

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
I'm sure you've seen Jaws, but man, it really has some great suspense.

Ever see The Town that Dreaded Sundown? Another one that will give you trouble going to sleep, lol.

Another one of my favorites, although it's probably more drama/suspense than horror, is Duel with Dennis Weaver. Great suspense, directed by Steven Spielberg.

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
Have to mention the dates not knowing what ones have been remade

The Exorcist (1973)
The Omen (1976)
Salem's Lot (1979)
Poltergeist (1982)
A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984)
Pet Sematary (1989)
It (1990)
Children Of The Corn (1984)
The Lost Boys (1987)
Child's Play (1988)
Christine (1983)
Maximum Overdrive (1986)

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
Have to mention the dates not knowing what ones have been remade

The Exorcist (1973)
The Omen (1976)
Salem's Lot (1979)
Poltergeist (1982)
A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984)
Pet Sematary (1989)
It (1990)
Children Of The Corn (1984)
The Lost Boys (1987)
Child's Play (1988)
Christine (1983)
Maximum Overdrive (1986)

Great list!

:hbang:

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
anything more modern guys? love the old classics but bored shitless with them.

ELS

Reaction score
Of course there's always the classics. Alien, Silence of the Lambs, The Shining, The Ring, and don't laugh but I honestly don't find the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre gory in any way...but it's sure as hell creepy still to this day lol.

Modern scary movies get a bad rap IMO and are way underrated, there's definitely some outstanding new horror films that yes, rely on atmosphere and vibe more than simply disturbing imagery that just try's to make you vomit (I'm not a gore fan either - like for example the insanely overrated "Saw" series....heh, hot garbage IMO, too much gore to distract you from their lack of true dread/scares/chills).

I love these:

Insidious (there was several sequels but none can touch the original)
The Conjuring Trilogy (the first was epic, the following two not quite but still outstanding - honestly all 3 are great, no clunkers in the series)
It Follows (mentioned already for good reason, has equal parts of suspense, thriller, horror)
Don't Breathe (just the first one, the sequel was rubbish)
Lights Out (short but fuckin' awesome)
Sinister (again, just the original, the follow up was crap)
Annabelle CREATION (not sure how many Annabelle flicks got made, they all sucked except this one, which made up for the flops, it's excellent)
The Descent (ok, this one has some gore but it's sooooo great, the sense of claustrophobia is stellar and has some incred acting)
Ouija Origin of Evil (I believe this was the sequel and it was great where the original sucked)
You're Next (this has a B movie vibe but it's done really well, legit tension and scares, not "jump" stuff)
It (just pt 1, the sequel was pretty bad)
I once came across some Punk Rock Chainsaw Massacre I think it was, movie... it was rated like 3/10 on imdb, so it must be good.
but I couldn't find it anywhere so couldn't watch it.

the thing that gets me in movies like halloweed is how there's things like constant subtle jumpscares, mixed with violin shrieks, while gore filled movies just ruin that atmospheric horror.
it's like some quote that went soemthing like blah blah fear of the unknown.

Latest posts