Steel Panther's Satchel Charvel Signature Pro-Mod DK22

Deftone

Reaction score
750-SatchelDK22PWB_front.jpg.auto.webp

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-mod-dk22-hh-fr-m-electric-guitar-white-tiger

Moony

Reaction score
Russ Parrish aka Satchel is a great guitarist!

I'm curious why he didn't want his new Charvel DK with the sculpted lower neck heal and lower horn on the back like the other regular DKs.
Also there no beveled output jack, it's just the regular one on the the side.
Maybe he prefers the traditional looks?

I personally don't like Fishman pickups and would certainly swap them out if I'd get that guitar.
Otherwise it seems really nice!

saxon68

VIP in training. J/K
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Almost got one, got the blue instead, I can’t bond with maple fretboards. Ebony is my preferred, rosewood second.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I have a pristine condition Charvette model 250 which serves my (minimal) need for a Floyd equipped guitar. Don't think I need two.

Satchel is an incredible player, very fluid in his playing, very musical, and he knows all the licks and all the tricks. He's a walking encyclopedia of the style and substance of 80s metal guitar. He can hang with the best of them. Oh, I'm sure Steve Vai could leave him wondering "What the hell is he doing?" but Steve Vai can get really "out there" like few other guitarists on earth.

saxon68

VIP in training. J/K
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a pristine condition Charvette model 250 which serves my (minimal) need for a Floyd equipped guitar. Don't think I need two.

Satchel is an incredible player, very fluid in his playing, very musical, and he knows all the licks and all the tricks. He's a walking encyclopedia of the style and substance of 80s metal guitar. He can hang with the best of them. Oh, I'm sure Steve Vai could leave him wondering "What the hell is he doing?" but Steve Vai can get really "out there" like few other guitarists on earth.
I had a model 2 MIJ, sold it when I moved to Virginia. Needed money for a fast move.

Kicking myself now, sold it for $300 back in 2010.

Deftone

Reaction score
Almost got one, got the blue instead, I can’t bond with maple fretboards. Ebony is my preferred, rosewood second.
If the headstock is painted, I like ebony or rosewood. Unpainted, I like a maple board.

I had a model 2 MIJ, sold it when I moved to Virginia. Needed money for a fast move.

Kicking myself now, sold it for $300 back in 2010.
I hear you. I bought a new '86 Model 3 (HSS) and sold it in the early 2000's for next to nothing. Instant regret.

A couple years later I snagged a Model 2 tho...for $200. Not making that mistake again.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
If the headstock is painted, I like ebony or rosewood. Unpainted, I like a maple board.

I hear you. I bought a new '86 Model 3 (HSS) and sold it in the early 2000's for next to nothing. Instant regret.

A couple years later I snagged a Model 2 tho...for $200. Not making that mistake again.
yeah im a maple guy myself if i have a choice really.

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
add maybe the back of the neck in black with ebony fretboard..........
what yr is that guitar? does it play as good as it looks?

Has the 1 year only , Kramer 40th Anniversary on back of headstock.
That may have been his last year with Kramer, Im not sure???
It plays great.
I love the maple fretboard.
Satchel prefers an unconventional layout, so its wired differently than one would expect.
I thought it was a mistake when I bought it brand new!
Nope! Thats exactly how it was intended, because thats how Satchel wanted it!
Im not sure if that oddity carried over into the Charvel models or not?
Once you understand its odd electronic ergonomics, it plays as smooth as butter.
I keep this one tuned down a whole step.
It stays in tune very well.
I believe they sold for $699 brand new back then.

IMG_4292.JPG

Last edited:

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
Ive got his Kramer Pacer Vintage version. Its odd to play, as its wired backwards.

View attachment 109687
Not really a Satchel signature guitar, he only use to play one. But I like this one better than his Charvel Signature. :cool: His Kramer signatures are the leopard print ones that came out several years after this one. IIRC those were his 1st and only signatures with them.

Last edited:

saxon68

VIP in training. J/K
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

If I saw one for 200 bucks I’d be on it in a second.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I think it's interesting that someone would base his preference for a maple vs. rosewood fingerboard on whether or not the headstock is painted.

I say that because the feel of a lacquered maple board is TOTALLY different than that of a rosewood board. I can tell the difference by touch alone. And its's why I absolutely hate maple fingerboards.

There are guitars I would have bought except they have maple fingerboards. I'd have bought them if the fingerboard was rosewood or ebony or something else that's hard, dark, and needs no finish.

Latest posts