Stacking a boost pedal, help.

TheSaz

Reaction score
Hello.

New to the forum but not new to "forums". 🙋🏻‍♂️

Anywho, Im trying to use a Waza SD1 to boost a Friedman BE OD. The main purpose I want to use the BE OD is mainly the bottom end it offers, I love it. Im having a hard time(clearly doing something wrong) trying to dial in both pedals, so heres what I got..

GUITAR->BE OD->WAZA->AMP.

Im not trying to add or introduce MORE gain from the BE, my amp offers plenty(and if I were to use the Waza alone is perfection) just seeking to boost BE, thats all. So I figured everything dialed at noon on the BE, the volume is whats tricky. I have the Waza Level maxed out, Drive at 0, tone at 12 o'clock. My issue is, once i turn on the Waza, I get a tremendous annoyance of feedback.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Last edited:

TheSaz

Reaction score
Thanks, ill give it a shot once I get a chance.

V-man

Reaction score
Stacking pedals has not worked well often IMO when one or both are full bore. You don’t dime the shit of one into/after the other. Instead, you roll the volume back by 50-75% for each and adjust from there. Same goes with drive/distortion.

TheSaz

Reaction score
I hear ya. Im just trying to boost the BE for its bottom end, not necessarily trying to mix the 2 together.

CroTone

Reaction score
Actually putting SD-1 before BE-OD will result in pumping more gain into already heavy-driven BE-OD and will result in the mush. Since you want to boost volume after BE-OD for the purposes of the solo boost then yes, SD-1 should go after the BE-OD with gain on SD-1 set at 0 and volume to taste. If you get too much feedback and noise I would advise you to start by decreasing the gain on BE-OD (even push the internal gain trimpot counterclockwise if needed, this pedal has too much gain anyways) and adjust the volume on SD-1 until you get an acceptable level of noise and still managing to achieve a certain degree of volume boost. You need to find the sweetspot. Also, use high-quality cables - this does more than what many might think.

Vesperado

Reaction score
Try a larger value (a) cathode bypass cap, or a (b) larger value treble peaker cap on your amp for more bottom end. The pedal bandwidth is effected by the preamp, believe it or not.

slade

Reaction score
What about adding in a eq pedal? You’ll get the low frequencies back.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stack 2 all the time--currently a JRockett Archer Clean into a Chase Tone Secret Preamp. You just can't have much if any gain dialed in. The SD1 is a pretty gainy box and I have to assume the Friedman is even more so.

Remember, playing quietly is going to allow for a lot more gain before feedback. What works in the bedroom/basement can be howl city when you turn up to drummer volume. Those pedals just may not be able to coexist--how high are your gain and level knobs?

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
I wonder what the low-end response would be like if you turn the amps gain down and master volume up more instead. Then dial in your gain from there.

My BE-OD into my Origin boosted sounds amazing.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hello.

New to the forum but not new to "forums". 🙋🏻‍♂️

Anywho, Im trying to use a Waza SD1 to boost a Friedman BE OD. The main purpose I want to use the BE OD is mainly the bottom end it offers, I love it. Im having a hard time(clearly doing something wrong) trying to dial in both pedals, so heres what I got..

GUITAR->BE OD->WAZA->AMP.

Im not trying to add or introduce MORE gain from the BE, my amp offers plenty(and if I were to use the Waza alone is perfection) just seeking to boost BE, thats all. So I figured everything dialed at noon on the BE, the volume is whats tricky. I have the Waza Level maxed out, Drive at 0, tone at 12 o'clock. My issue is, once i turn on the Waza, I get a tremendous annoyance of feedback.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Put BEOD last in the chain.

Len

Reaction score
If the amp is distorted, the best way to use an EQ or boost without adding more gain is to place it in the loop.

Trelwheen

Made With Real Bacon
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
What amp are you pushing all this delicious overdrive into? How is it set?

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
What about adding in a eq pedal? You’ll get the low frequencies back.

This makes more sense to me if your goal is to manipulate / shape the overall EQ. I’ve never managed to add bass by boosting an amp or dirt box with an OD … if anything, it not only tightens up the bass, but there’s always a bit of a bass cut. Though, I don’t like a lot of bass in my tone (just enough to solidify everything).

Latest posts