speaker replacement on a Marshall DSL20CR

iulikg

Reaction score
guys, by the way, do you use any voltage regulators? I read these are recommended for tube amps.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
oh, that's quite close .... I had the impression there is enough room to pull out the speaker without touching the tubs but indeed, it doesn't seem feasible.
Regarding attenuators, I'll have a look into that. Started to read the article you mentioned above but that seems rocket science :(

Yeah, but most of the technical jargon and lots of chaff can be easily skimmed past, to get to the meat & potatoes/nuts and bolts of simply building the unit. Lots of real world testing, analysis, etc, etc, has been done and you don't need to digest it! In other words, all the technical work has already been done! All the pertinent build info is in that first post. Actual layout diagrams show up on page #111. Simply skim the thread, looking for pics to give you ideas of how you'd like to format the packaging. Suffice to say, if you can use simple tools, a drill and know how to dolder, you can easily build one. This design is sonically far and above any other, commercially available attenuator currently on the market.

If you're not tool and/or soldering adept, finding a friend who is shouldn't be too hard. If you were here in the states, even I could help you out! Here's some step by step pics of my most recent build(s):

IMG_0670.jpeg IMG_0672.jpeg IMG_0676.jpeg IMG_0680.jpeg IMG_0681.jpeg IMG_0682.jpeg IMG_0683.jpeg

C-Grin

Reaction score
Yeah, but most of the technical jargon and lots of chaff can be easily skimmed past, to get to the meat & potatoes/nuts and bolts of simply building the unit. Lots of real world testing, analysis, etc, etc, has been done and you don't need to digest it! In other words, all the technical work has already been done! All the pertinent build info is in that first post. Actual layout diagrams show up on page #111. Simply skim the thread, looking for pics to give you ideas of how you'd like to format the packaging. Suffice to say, if you can use simple tools, a drill and know how to dolder, you can easily build one. This design is sonically far and above any other, commercially available attenuator currently on the market.

If you're not tool and/or soldering adept, finding a friend who is shouldn't be too hard. If you were here in the states, even I could help you out! Here's some step by step pics of my most recent build(s):

View attachment 112427 View attachment 112428 View attachment 112429 View attachment 112430 View attachment 112431 View attachment 112432 View attachment 112433
Those are sexy :agreed:

iulikg

Reaction score

Looks solid! Thanks, Gene. I might deep dive into this at a later stage, need first to catch up with the basics as it seems I missed the first steps :)

So guys, I received the amp earlier today. They delivered the Greenback as well but I haven't tried it yet. Managed only to test the amp, had to change guitar strings as well just to make sure I have the best sound. My old amp is a Fender Mustang I v2, a cheap but good combo for beginners. DSL20 is my first tube amp and I have just a little experience in playing on tubes.

1. Design - looks amazing, a genuine Marshall design with black and yellow (golden) and a white Marshall logo. Wonderful combination. I just wish my cat wouldn't find it more attractive, as she had some fights in the past with my Fender. Quite heavy and has a huge Celestion Seventy speaker attached... It seems to be a 2 man job to deliver the amp and the additional Greenback, glad they used the elevator
2. Functionality - pretty straight forward. A few but enough knobs to configure it. However I have a question here: should the Output button be always set to "standby" when turning it on/off?
3. Sound - sweet and warm. Huge difference between my old Fender and Marshall. I knew it will be different but it sounds so nice, wonderful experience. I also tested it with a backing track (audio in), have to admit that guitar sound is fitting so well into the track that it's hard to tell this is not a whole package. Regarding channels, I need more time to test them properly. Have to take the amp to a safe place and go all in with the sound. So far the 50% volume hits it very well.
4. Emulated out - headphones are doing great but volume is way too low even though I have it maxed out on classic channel. I have a pair of ATH-M40x which are supposed to be decent but I definitely need more volume. Any ideas how I can fix it? I also read that output button should always be on "standby" when using headphones and this is crucial to remember, as I accidentally switched to 20W and that's not a recommended move
5. Heating - front and rear panels are heating up pretty much after 10-15 min of using it, especially near the power supply box. The truth is there are around 30 degree in this room and lamps also provide some heat but I suspect something might not be ok. Should I be worried?
6. Tone - warm but sometimes I find it a bit muddy and this might actually be from my Duncan SSL1 pick ups. I'll test it more during the following days and see if I can find a better combination between low-highs and perhaps pick up heights

Overall, this amp is amazing! Sound is above expectations and I just can't wait to test the Creamback. A tube amp is what changes the game. And playing skills as well 😅 so I'll go and have some fun with those scales...over and over again.

Thanks everyone for your help and feedback. This forum is definitely a great place to visit for a Marshall fan!!

bhatta

Reaction score
Congratulations on the new Amp!😃

Its a wonderful beast!

I am sure you are gonna love it 😁

The amp will heat up as you keep it running, all tube amps do, including the top, beside the handle. There's a YouTube video I remember where the guy fries egg on a Marshall, which Marshall i forget.

You let that 70-80 running for a few days with any thumping music through the aux-in with a pillow in front of the speaker as loud as you can. I read this in this forum iirc, and i did it for about a week. The speaker broke in good.

For my uses, i am not unhappy with the 70-80 after more than a year. They are not too bad for whatever i play and am keepin them for some more time..

Yes, for the DSL 20, you have to remove tubes for speaker change, it's a tight fit. But thankfully/or not no biasing required 😎

Check out Johan Segeborn and Lambchopper678 channels on youtube, stellar Marshall info there!

Cheers buddy. Enjoy your new Amp.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Design - looks amazing, a genuine Marshall
:yesway:
2. Functionality - pretty straight forward. A few but enough knobs to configure it. However I have a question here: should the Output button be always set to "standby" when turning it on/off?
Standby is not required for on/off.
Good for silencing the amp to change guitars or pedals and such.
I put mine in standby before shutting down, just so I know I will have to select a power choice when I fire it up again.
3. Sound - sweet and warm ... I need more time to test them properly. Have to take the amp to a safe place and go all in with the sound. So far the 50% volume hits it very well.
I can run my 20watters full bore, and I do.
4. Emulated out -
Never used it - sorry, no help here.
5. Heating - front and rear panels are heating up pretty much after 10-15 min of using it
I have the head with tubes & such on top, so I've never noticed this.
Perhaps some combo owners can chime in?
6. Tone - warm but sometimes I find it a bit muddy
Re-evaluate after the speaker swap.
Tubes can also change how the amp responds - new rabbit hole there for ya'.
Edit: I have none of the stock tubes left in my DSL20HR.

Last edited:

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
Congrats on the new amp, @iulikg !

As someone who was new to all this just a couple years ago, I'll add one thing I don't remember seeing in this thread. There's not really such a thing as a better sounding speaker - just a different sounding speaker. Instead, there are comparisons like more articulate...more sensitive, etc.

While the stock speaker is perfectly acceptable in the DSL20CR, I think putting in the Greenback after playing it with the Seventy-Eighty for a few weeks may be the best thing for you. Then you can decide if you like the upgrade - keep in mind you'll have to allow the Greenie to break in like the stock one before making a proper comparison.

Don't rush it - you don't learn by doing what someone else says is better right off the bat. Take what everyone says as a guide, but let your ears be the judge. Hell, playing a Mustang with humbuckers through the Seventy Eighty might be exactly the tone you're looking for.

JHMvP

Reaction score
If you are still looking for a speaker replacement, please have a look at;

It was cheap and I am VERY happy with the results.

Eric'45

Reaction score
5. Heating - front and rear panels are heating up pretty much after 10-15 min of using it, especially near the power supply box. The truth is there are around 30 degree in this room and lamps also provide some heat but I suspect something might not be ok. Should I be worried?
Congrats on your DSL!
I don't think there is something wrong with your Amp. All Tube Amps get hot. At least, it becomes slightly uncomfortable to leave the hand on the Faceplate, that would equate to 30- 40°, I suspect. Heat travels upwards, So a Combo Chassis, where the Tubes are underneath, will always be hotter than a Head, where the Tubes are on Top and typically there's a bit more space for the air to circulate.

I would also advise to leave the 70/80 at first. I know, you already have the Greenback, but take your time before you decide. I have used my DSL40 with various external Cabs, but the Stock 70/80 is still inside and it gets used occasionally. I don't find it that bad.

Latest posts