Sovtek JMP-50 Transformer?

SwedishWings

Reaction score
I was cleaning out some boxes and found this OPT.

3.2K primary impedance, probably 50W. I hooked it up in a 50W amp with 2xEL34 and it sounds ok, but i think it lacks a bit low-end compared to the original Marshall transformer.

What puzzle me is the marking "SOVTEK JMP50-2", that was written on the box and the transformer. Did such a thing ever exist? :)

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Last edited:

Pete Farrington

Reaction score
What do the inked stamps on the side of the lamination stack say?
If they’re not cyrillic characters, perhaps that indicates that it’s not of Russian origin.

PelliX

Reaction score
My guess would be that it was a replacement part for a JMP50 which also worked in some Sovtek model. It's very common to see stuff labeled like that in workshops. "This is a XXX which is for a YY123 and/or ZZ345". Plenty of that going on among my spares, at least... As @Pete Farrington pointed out, any stamped/original markings would be more decisive. The two markings on the top are just stamps to indicate it passed some QC tests.

XTRXTR

Reaction score
Size, shape and wire colours look like Drake 784-139 to me.
Maybe pop the end bells off and see what it says inside?
Agreed same color codes as all my Drake 784-139, They weren't exclusive to Marshall.

Xenrelic

Reaction score
That's a Marshall 50 watt replacement OT, it's basically a replica of the Drake 784-139, but built by Pacific Audio Transformers with a 3.2k - 3.6k Primary. They make the transformers that went into Ken Fisher's Trainwreck amps and Howard Dumble's Overdrive Special amps. Electro-Harmonix (formerly Sovtek/New Sensor) carries them in their catalog and I have a spare one direct from Pacific to confirm.

william vogel

Reaction score
Those QC ink stamps do look like Pacific for sure and the endbell covers are American manufacture. If I saw the way the core winding looked with the endbell covers removed I could say for sure. Each manufacturer has their own unique outer wrap insulation and I’m familiar with them. It looks pacific though.

SwedishWings

Reaction score
That's a Marshall 50 watt replacement OT, it's basically a replica of the Drake 784-139, but built by Pacific Audio Transformers with a 3.2k - 3.6k Primary. They make the transformers that went into Ken Fisher's Trainwreck amps and Howard Dumble's Overdrive Special amps. Electro-Harmonix (formerly Sovtek/New Sensor) carries them in their catalog and I have a spare one direct from Pacific to confirm.
Thanks for all answers. Life interrupted, but i finally got around to open it up and it was indeed a Pacific transformer. I measured around 3.2KΩ (plate to plate) primary indictance.

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 7.19.55 PM.jpg

Looking at the data sheet for Pacifics replacement for Drake 784-139 / Marshall TXOP-9002, it say 4.5KΩ:

@Xenrelic, you was spot on here. Do you know anything about the discrepancy in the data sheet?

Thanks and regards!

Latest posts