Sound fading in and out - Origin 50

Chezadw

Reaction score
Hi, I bought an Origin 50 combo about 2 months ago, I'm solely using it at home at present, so it's having quite a relaxed time of things :)
I noticed this problem a bit ago, but it's so intermittent I dismissed it, wondered if it was something in the signal chain. But late last week the problem came back. After I've played for a while, the sound fades to zero, or close to zero, then comes back to the playing volume - this whole cycle takes a few seconds. This time the fading / recover happened every few minutes, so I could do a bit of fault finding. I reduced the setup to just a guitar, lead and the amp. I tried it in the middle and lowest power setting, both gain and master volume below 6.
It's waiting to be collected to go back to the store and then Marshall. Needless to say I'm pretty disappointed and apparently it's likely to be away for up to a month (it's also the 3rd Marshall I've had, and second that's had to go back in warranty)
Anyone come across this type of problem and can say 'aha, it's going to be ...xyz'?
thanks for the help in advance.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hi, I bought an Origin 50 combo about 2 months ago, I'm solely using it at home at present, so it's having quite a relaxed time of things :)
I noticed this problem a bit ago, but it's so intermittent I dismissed it, wondered if it was something in the signal chain. But late last week the problem came back. After I've played for a while, the sound fades to zero, or close to zero, then comes back to the playing volume - this whole cycle takes a few seconds. This time the fading / recover happened every few minutes, so I could do a bit of fault finding. I reduced the setup to just a guitar, lead and the amp. I tried it in the middle and lowest power setting, both gain and master volume below 6.
It's waiting to be collected to go back to the store and then Marshall. Needless to say I'm pretty disappointed and apparently it's likely to be away for up to a month (it's also the 3rd Marshall I've had, and second that's had to go back in warranty)
Anyone come across this type of problem and can say 'aha, it's going to be ...xyz'?
I suspect a bad tube, do you have any spare tubes? Replace each one one at a time until you find the bad tube.

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
Also make sure the tubes are all seated properly/completely. Them babies can work loose from their journey from the factory by the time it makes it to your house or local store. I never fire up a new tube amp before checking to make sure the tubes aren't loose. My Origin 20H had all 3 preamp tubes loose. They just may have not been put in properly from the factory in this case since it was all 3 of them. Glad I didn't fire it up that way. :)

Edited to clarify. :)

Last edited:

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me just as Pedecamp has described.
Welcome to the forum
I have 2 of the Origin 50H’s and have no problem at all with them.
Cheers
Mitch

Blues Player

Reaction score
I am experiencing the same exact issue with my Origin 50C. I am looking for the solution as well. Playing it for about 20 minutes then starts fading out abd coming back. Answer anyone who solved this issue?