Soldano SLO 100 your thoughts

pittbull

Reaction score
Has anyone compared a 70s metal face marshall superlead to a Soldano SLO

Quinny

Reaction score
Has anyone compared a 70s metal face marshall superlead to a Soldano SLO
My SLO100 is permanently set up with either a '73 JMP50 Lead or a '77 JMP100 MV - it's a great combination! Adam Jones from Tool mixes a Super Bass JMP (76, I think) with his Diezels - they're a great amp to blend in with something having a more modern high gain tone.

I pondered over the SLO100 for a long time before deciding to take the plunge, within minutes I was wishing I'd done it years sooner. The normal channel on clean mode is very unremarkable, kinda just OK on the whole.....but, that's not what anyone buys an SLO for I suspect. Normal channel on crunch mode however is outstanding - not at all what I got the amp for, but I'm in love with it! Outstanding low to mid-gain tones there and with the OD or boost in front of it there's a world of gain-y goodness to be had. Then there's THAT overdrive channel - really, it lives up to its hype. If I'd picked up an SLO years sooner there are maybe 5 or 6 other amps I woudn't have bothered with....expensive no doubt, but would have saved me money in the long run.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
My SLO100 is permanently set up with either a '73 JMP50 Lead or a '77 JMP100 MV - it's a great combination! Adam Jones from Tool mixes a Super Bass JMP (76, I think) with his Diezels - they're a great amp to blend in with something having a more modern high gain tone.

I pondered over the SLO100 for a long time before deciding to take the plunge, within minutes I was wishing I'd done it years sooner. The normal channel on clean mode is very unremarkable, kinda just OK on the whole.....but, that's not what anyone buys an SLO for I suspect. Normal channel on crunch mode however is outstanding - not at all what I got the amp for, but I'm in love with it! Outstanding low to mid-gain tones there and with the OD or boost in front of it there's a world of gain-y goodness to be had. Then there's THAT overdrive channel - really, it lives up to its hype. If I'd picked up an SLO years sooner there are maybe 5 or 6 other amps I woudn't have bothered with....expensive no doubt, but would have saved me money in the long run.

I have the new Soldano SLO 100 Pedal, but haven't hooked it up to try yet because I've been a little busy. I so badly wish I could plug into an SLO 100 and see for myself (or an SLO 30 might come close). If I could just try one out in the real world, I just might wind up buying.

pittbull

Reaction score
Here’s how I see it the Soldano SLO can sound like a superlead but the superlead can’t sound like the SLO

Whatwhatringrang

Reaction score
I bought one probably close to 20 years ago . So my memory is not that great with this. I did have a Couple other real nice sounding amps at the time.

I always loved hearing Warren Haynes and Dickey Betts Playing them in last great period of the Allman brothers band . I also liked everyone mentioned above who used them which is who’s who.

Really great high gain sound and dirty rock sound. Definitely has its thing that is great . It rocked for sure and had upper mid kinda like modded 70s plexi at even moderate volumes and more.

Mine had the Haynes mod and a depth control if I remember right. I will start the positives. It was really well built amp. You could get it’s sound at pretty much any volume which is nice. Great even AC-DC like crunch surprised me . Of course the singing high gain sounds i always liked hearing from great player who used it. Very low noise floor and well built.

Now my personal opinion of what did not work for me ,
I immediately disliked how the amp actually felt /played for me personally. It felt nothing like a non master cranked . Really hard to put in words here. The higher the notes Especially kinda felt differently than I liked for myself. Kinda like a false type thing in the feel. It was articulate but so are old Marshalls. So I had it sit for like 2 years while on The road. Came back home and feel it should be sold for someone who would enjoy it. It is not like it is voiced wrong but a feel thing.

It really made immediately not like it for me personally at the time. I am not really into pre amp distortion even when cranked up maybe? However I would sit in with friends band and his JCM900 was actually a better fit at the time overall. Now the 900 did not sound as good but Worked better in context if I remember right.

I am sure I could have made it work and have a definitely great sound
It would have been better in dual amp setup with a different amp for clean. Same reason I do not like Dumble type amps. There is something in high end feel I do not like playing wise. Sucks because I really always wanted one as I like how these amps sounded .

The slo 100 sounded just like all players tone I heard play them that is cool. Also it is modern which is also great. In live setting I was not happy with it overall . I wondered why the clean channel I was not feeling. Crunch did its thing which sounded like a nice maybe more modern amp. l

ps Still love hearing player use there old slo100s. Great amps.That being said if I found a older slo-100 in the right place I am sure I would love it. To me hearing those amps back in the early era where all the guys using them. Nothing was better. I am gonna go listen to some now. I wish I could find one locally to compared to other amps now.

Last edited:

PowerTube44

Reaction score
I bought one probably close to 20 years ago . So my memory is not that great with this. I did have a Couple other real nice sounding amps at the time.

I always loved hearing Warren Haynes and Dickey Betts Playing them in last great period of the Allman brothers band . I also liked everyone mentioned above who used them which is who’s who.

Really great high gain sound and dirty rock sound. Definitely has its thing that is great . It rocked for sure and had upper mid kinda like modded 70s plexi at even moderate volumes and more.

Mine had the Haynes mod and a depth control if I remember right. I will start the positives. It was really well built amp. You could get it’s sound at pretty much any volume which is nice. Great even AC-DC like crunch surprised me . Of course the singing high gain sounds i always liked hearing from great player who used it. Very low noise floor and well built.

Now my personal opinion of what did not work for me ,
I immediately disliked how the amp actually felt /played for me personally. It felt nothing like a non master cranked . Really hard to put in words here. The higher the notes Especially kinda felt differently than I liked for myself. Kinda like a false type thing in the feel. It was articulate but so are old Marshalls. So I had it sit for like 2 years while on The road. Came back home and feel it should be sold for someone who would enjoy it. It is not like it is voiced wrong but a feel thing.

It really made immediately not like it for me personally at the time. I am not really into pre amp distortion even when cranked up maybe? However I would sit in with friends band and his JCM900 was actually a better fit at the time overall. Now the 900 did not sound as good but Worked better in context if I remember right.

I am sure I could have made it work and have a definitely great sound
It would have been better in dual amp setup with a different amp for clean. Same reason I do not like Dumble type amps. There is something in high end feel I do not like playing wise. Sucks because I really always wanted one as I like how these amps sounded .

The slo 100 sounded just like all players tone I heard play them that is cool. Also it is modern which is also great. In live setting I was not happy with it overall . I wondered why the clean channel I was not feeling. Crunch did its thing which sounded like a nice maybe more modern amp. l

ps Still love hearing player use there old slo100s. Great amps.That being said if I found a older slo-100 in the right place I am sure I would love it. To me hearing those amps back in the early era where all the guys using them. Nothing was better. I am gonna go listen to some now. I wish I could find one locally to compared to other amps now.
It sounds like you have the exact same blessing/curse that I have; you know exactly what you want when you hear it, regardless of what anyone else says or thinks. I've told this story before and won't repeat it here, but for years I heard people rave about Splawn. In 2014, I spent about $2300.00 on a Quick Rod head and another $1000.00+ on their 4x12 cab. Within a month, I just wanted it out of my house, so I sold it to Guitar Center and took a bath on it.

That's when I established my rule: I will NEVER again spend any real money on an amp I haven't plugged into. And naturally, none of the GC's within 300 miles of me will ever have an SLO 100 I can try out. People always say, "Just buy one and take it back if you don't like it." I HATE that idea and the hassle. I just can't understand this. They sell the damned thing, so why not have a floor model in each store?!

It's the same with the JVM. They never had a new one in the store as of 2014 and later. I asked a salesman about this once, and he said, "Are you kidding?! That's a $2500.00 amp!" And my response was, "Right. And you're asking people to spend that $2500.00 when they've never had a chance to plug into one."

So yeah, if I ever get to plug into an SLO 100, it might come home with me. But otherwise, forget it.

pittbull

Reaction score
I’ve been listening to many Soldano SLO 100 watt clips and comparing to the Van Halen 1 sound which as we all know sounds like a very angry marshall so does the Soldano SLO which sounds like a angry marshall

pittbull

Reaction score
The new version SLO has improvements better effects loop then the original and add an Depth control also dc heaters for noise reduction no noise

pittbull

Reaction score
Oh really lol the new version is built like a tank better in my opinion then the original with the new improvement Mike did a great job on the new version

pittbull

Reaction score
Original Soldano SLO owners believe the original ones are far more superior then the new revised ones which total BS and all hyped up Mike Soldano said the same thing and he’s correct

pittbull

Reaction score
Your wrong again hype and BS because your a original SLO owner hype it up ,,,,,,,

pittbull

Reaction score
You would be surprised what I own you can hype up all you want about your original SLO but the improvements that were made to the SLO were improvements that Mike wanted, improved master volume, improved effects loop,dc heaters for practically no noise

Latest posts