Soldano SLO 100 your thoughts

pittbull

Reaction score
Just curious has anyone compared( side by side) the Soldano SLO to the EVH 5150 III

Sapient

 
Reaction score
I've never heard one in person, but what I've heard out there sounds pretty damn good.

If one comes floating by within my reach at a reasonable price I will definitely give it a rip....

Meanwhile I've got my feelers out for a Friedman Butterslax. I've gotta see for myself what those are all about

Me too! :woot:

Derek S

Reaction score
Just curious has anyone compared( side by side) the Soldano SLO to the EVH 5150 III
Not exactly what you're asking - but I've owned and recorded with both through the same gear (guitars, cabs, etc), just not exactly bouncing back and forth comparing them side by side...but I don't recall them sounding similar at all. I thought the SLO was a bit smoother in the mids and far more distinct and focused (in a great way), the Soldano was the better amp (for my tastes). The 5153 was more hairy and pissy sounding, pretty cool but it was also borderline fizzy and I hate that, I remember a lot of experimenting to rid that part of the tone where it was never an issue with the SLO. It was a solid high gain amp but I sold it off. Keep in mind that was also a first gen 5150 III 100w, I'm positive they've made some refinements since then (haven't gone back to revisit that line as I'm content with my amps!).

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Not exactly what you're asking - but I've owned and recorded with both through the same gear (guitars, cabs, etc), just not exactly bouncing back and forth comparing them side by side...but I don't recall them sounding similar at all. I thought the SLO was a bit smoother in the mids and far more distinct and focused (in a great way), the Soldano was the better amp (for my tastes). The 5153 was more hairy and pissy sounding, pretty cool but it was also borderline fizzy and I hate that, I remember a lot of experimenting to rid that part of the tone where it was never an issue with the SLO. It was a solid high gain amp but I sold it off. Keep in mind that was also a first gen 5150 III 100w, I'm positive they've made some refinements since then (haven't gone back to revisit that line as I'm content with my amps!).

the 5153 is a great amp but its a far cry from the SLO.

pittbull

Reaction score
Been listening to many Soldano SLO clips and in my opinion it has the brightness edge/ crunch you hear on the first Van Halen album especially the ISO track of Running with the devil

Last edited:

pittbull

Reaction score
I remember talking to Mike Soldano a few year back and he was explaining to me that during the development of the SLO he had THAT sound(Van Halen first album)in mind for the SLO.

pittbull

Reaction score
Had a opportunity to play a 2020 Soldano SLO 100 yesterday and all I can say is WOW, I’ve played almost every amp out there from stock to modded Marshall’s, Bogner, Friedman, VHT ,EVH etc which are all great amps but there was something about the Soldano SLO 100 that was different from the other amps it was like a Marshall on extra steroids but had a clarity that the other amps didn’t have also is was the loudest amp I’ve ever played, I had a 72 Marshall superlead and thought that amp was the loudest amp I ever heard but the Soldano can peel the paint off the wall. The SLO is built like a tank I like the way it responds, Im surprised I didnt try/purchase one along time ago.I like the tone possibilities this amp can achieve and a amp that I can build my own tone with.It’s like a fined tuned V-8 hot Rod.

Last edited:

Zado

Reaction score
I'm seeing a lot of comparison between the 5150 and the SLO lately, and IMHO it's quite unfair, they are worlds apart in both price and performance/sound quality. The 5153 is a good sounding amp, and delivers plenty of usable metal tones, but imho compared to the SLO (which is far far pricier, and legendary for its sound) sounds like a distortion pedal. The SLO has plenty of aggression and articulation, but shows no fizziness or unwanted compression, and litteraly breaths overdrive and harmonics. The EVH is by no mean a bad amp, but compared to a SLO it's like comparing a modded Fiat Abarth to an F50.

proxy

Reaction score
This amp is famous for what it does.
High gain tone that is super tight.
What most people do not realize how great SLO is if you just turn your guitar volume down in crunch mode.... you will hear the most beautiful clean tone ever.
It is just incredible.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Not to be laughed at, but does the 30 watt SLO 30 version even come close to the SLO 100, by comparison? They seem (outwardly) to have identical preamp sections and the only two differences I can see are the number of output tubes/wattage/likely transformer and the fact that the 100 has on/off switchable and level control on the the effects loop.
Just Curious?
Gene

mad5066

Reaction score
Not to be laughed at, but does the 30 watt SLO 30 version even come close to the SLO 100, by comparison? They seem (outwardly) to have identical preamp sections and the only two differences I can see are the number of output tubes/wattage/likely transformer and the fact that the 100 has on/off switchable and level control on the the effects loop.
Just Curious?
Gene

Good question, hopefully someone can chime in. I would eventually like to get the 30 and hoping that it'll foot the bill.

Bloodrock

Reaction score
Overrated amp simply due to the price/availability. If they were $1k and more guitarists owned them, they wouldn’t still be so mythical. The FX loop is garbage. Still not as overrated as the Mesa Mkiic+ though.

pittbull

Reaction score
The effects loop was redesigned in 2020 when Mike Soldano hooked up with B.A.D the effects loop is very good

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I've considered buying one many times over the years to give it a spin, but I'm just not inspired enough by what I've heard to actually do it. There are clips out there that sound incredible (@zachman for example), but most leave me wondering what it is that I'm not hearing. I think EVH used one on the FUCK album, right? At least on a few songs? I do love the tones from that album, but they're not my favorite EVH tones by a long shot ... and what songs on that album are the SLO? Clapton had one for a while, but those are arguably the worst tones he's had throughout his career .... so? I dunno ... the legend of the amp has piqued my curiosity at times, but when I go down that road of trying to get myself into the frame of mind to pull the trigger, I just lose interest. FWIW, I'm not scared off by the price ... it's more a matter of the amp just not speaking to me in a way that makes me want to bring one home.

Snake321

Reaction score
I'm on the waiting list for a 100.
I was told 4 months and its been a month.
Its a tough wait