Seymour Duncan JB Gateing??

marco_giampa23

Reaction score
Just built up an explorer with a brand new JB in the bridge with a single volume only (neck pickup is wired in but going to remove it soon. And ive notice when playing that if i pluck a power chord on the low E real hard the thing gates pretty heavily and ive never experienced this on any guitar before. Running through my 100w jubilee flat out but it also does this on the clean channel with the volume lower so thats why i think it might be the pickup??
I have tried lowering it but that doesnt do anything

Tatzmann

Reaction score
Had something similar with an X2N, but it wasnt
the pickup, it was the low-e-string.

Maybe get another JB for A/B testing?

wakjob

Reaction score
Take a screwdriver or something metal and tap on each slug & screw head with the guitar plugged into and amp. (lower the volume!)

I've had this happen once. It could be a dead coil.

marco_giampa23

Reaction score
i get a consistent audible tap on each pole piece, it was a brand new in box JB never installed, I did buy it secondhand though
Take a screwdriver or something metal and tap on each slug & screw head with the guitar plugged into and amp. (lower the volume!)

I've had this happen once. It could be a dead coil.

Vinsanitizer

K i T t E h !!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Shot in the dark, but is the pickup so close to the strings that it's being magnetically choked? You could try dropping the pickup 1/4" away from the strings and see if that makes a change, then raise it back up, preferably to spec.
:shrug:

Last edited:

jball1985

Reaction score
Before swapping pickups or other invasive troubleshooting, make sure its that guitar and that guitar alone that has the problem with your Jubilee.

marco_giampa23

Reaction score
Before swapping pickups or other invasive troubleshooting, make sure its that guitar and that guitar alone that has the problem with your Jubilee.
yep its just that guitar and just on the bridge pickup, i did initially drop the pickup like Vin said but pretty sure it didnt work, ill try that again tonight. I was going to reqire the guitar anyway to get rid of the neck pickup so i guess well see what that does

Latest posts