Sadly thinking about an alternate amp

DerekLicon

Reaction score
To be honest the DSL20HR doesnt have some crazy unique tone to it. It has a bit more tightness than the older JCM 2000’s but as far as achieving that sort of sound you can get that with basically any moderate to high gain amp with an SD-1 out front as a clean boost. I have a JCM 2000 with a new board, choke and an upgraded OT, and some reliability improvements but speaking strictly tone its alright I guess. I think you may be in love with the brand more than anything your ears are perceiving.

ITburst

Reaction score
To be honest the DSL20HR doesnt have some crazy unique tone to it. It has a bit more tightness than the older JCM 2000’s but as far as achieving that sort of sound you can get that with basically any moderate to high gain amp with an SD-1 out front as a clean boost. I have a JCM 2000 with a new board, choke and an upgraded OT, and some reliability improvements but speaking strictly tone its alright I guess. I think you may be in love with the brand more than anything your ears are perceiving.
The main thing about the DSL20HR which works for me is the low volume it can achieve and sound great, without the need for an attenuator. I know that great tone, or even better, can be had with several other Marshall’s but I’d rather not get into attenuators if I can avoid it.
There is also the price point to consider.

GregM

Reaction score
The main thing about the DSL20HR which works for me is the low volume it can achieve and sound great, without the need for an attenuator. I know that great tone, or even better, can be had with several other Marshall’s but I’d rather not get into attenuators if I can avoid it.
There is also the price point to consider.
Have you considered the 40 or 50 watt versions ? Sounds counter intuitive I know , but some folks swear by the 40 over the 20 .
I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned

ITburst

Reaction score
Have you considered the 40 or 50 watt versions ? Sounds counter intuitive I know , but some folks swear by the 40 over the 20 .
I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned
I have come across that in a few other threads now that you remind me. A good point!
My local store does have a 40 combo in stock, it might be a good idea to give it a try. Cheers for that.

GregM

Reaction score
I have come across that in a few other threads now that you remind me. A good point!
My local store does have a 40 combo in stock, it might be a good idea to give it a try. Cheers for that.
I dunno much about it , but I've read on here the 40 creams the 20 for low volume playing , something about 2 master volumes and an extra channel , crunch channel or whatever .
Like I said , dunno much about it but alot here seem to think it .

ntrueman

Reaction score
I have not bought a set yet as I was never sure if I was going to keep this amp, due to this being the third in a year. But so many people have said the same thing…”sounds like a tube.” I mentioned earlier that I just might pick up a set from The Tube Store this weekend. Nothing to loose at this point.
I was always taught to do the simplist things first So I would make an appointment with your dealer/service center for them to provide a set of new tubes for test purposes so they can install them while you wait and you can both see if its the tubes or not. This would quickly rule this in or out. I get your disappointed and nobody expects to have such issues when buying new but lots of tube amps get thier tubes bounced about in transit so it really is a good thing to check them out first if you have issues with a new amp.

J E H

Reaction score
if you want to sound good, you need a good amp. Sound & reliability. Price is the controlling factor. Marshalls are amazing. So are fenders. For both, though, not a lot of debate, you gotta get the good stuff.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
if you want to sound good, you need a good amp. Sound & reliability. Price is the controlling factor. Marshalls are amazing. So are fenders. For both, though, not a lot of debate, you gotta get the good stuff.
Yep , get a Friedman .

Rokinroller

Reaction score
All the fuss over just a preamp tube . Omg . This can happen with ANY brand amp . The tubemeister is full of more serious issues . look it up .

Latest posts