Relic'd Guitars are for Posers

jb5150

Reaction score
It's only a relic if the abuser is famous...

Same doesn't apply to partners.

If it's wear-and-tear I get it...but artists that intentionally ruin their instruments have a special place in hell (w exception of Trent Reznor).

PelliX

Reaction score
I did not care much for them until I played this one.

What's relic'd about it? I see maybe a tiny spot and the chrome parts might be a bit faded (tuners more so). Nice looking guitar, though I don't generally go for the lighter green shades myself.

10kDA

Reaction score
All I know is, when I got my first Strat in 1970, I loved how it played but I was bugged about the no-longer-white pickguard. The guitar was only 6 years old but the former owner was a smoker, so... I tried everything including using toothpaste as polishing compound, but all it did was decrease some of the ashtray odor. To this day, a yellowed pickguard diminishes how I view a Fender's relative merits LOL. I can't understand some people think it's a "feature".

BTW, maybe somebody can help with this. I never checked because I walk past the relics hanging on the wall, but on these guitars with damaged fronts, do the backs feature realistic buckle rash?

PelliX

Reaction score
All I know is, when I got my first Strat in 1970, I loved how it played but I was bugged about the no-longer-white pickguard. The guitar was only 6 years old but the former owner was a smoker, so... I tried everything including using toothpaste as polishing compound, but all it did was decrease some of the ashtray odor. To this day, a yellowed pickguard diminishes how I view a Fender's relative merits LOL. I can't understand some people think it's a "feature".

I've been trying my level best, but they don't yellow on me... but seriously, if it bugs you, just slap on a new pickguard and keep the old one for memory's sake?

BTW, maybe somebody can help with this. I never checked because I walk past the relics hanging on the wall, but on these guitars with damaged fronts, do the backs feature realistic buckle rash?

No, you have to do that yourself. For that, that's the only bit I get heavy legitimate wear on with these new polyurethane finishes....

10kDA

Reaction score
That's what I did with my current Strat - a black one. So far it hasn't discolored.

So professional relicers don't address one of the most-likely earliest locations of real-world damage? Interesting. But it kind of figures.

PelliX

Reaction score
That's what I did with my current Strat - a black one. So far it hasn't discolored.

So professional relicers don't address one of the most-likely earliest locations of real-world damage? Interesting. But it kind of figures.

As you noticed, guitars tend to hang face-forward in the shop. Nobody sees the worst battlescars when you're playing, either. Fun fact, that Strat of mine came without the back plate. I added it not because I didn't want the springs to get scratched, but I for one can't play with my belt buckle. Just one of those things a Tele guy learns when playing a Strat...

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
As you noticed, guitars tend to hang face-forward in the shop. Nobody sees the worst battlescars when you're playing, either. Fun fact, that Strat of mine came without the back plate. I added it not because I didn't want the springs to get scratched, but I for one can't play with my belt buckle. Just one of those things a Tele guy learns when playing a Strat...
tremolo guitars have better tone w/o the backplate...

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
It's OK, there's a toneslit. :)
I think it was Hendrix, who figured that out. The thing about trem springs, is they add a sort of reverb to the guitar, naturally. When the plastic is holding in the vibrations, you get a funky reverberation from the plastic. If the cavity is open, it allows the vibrations to escape freely & you get less reverb/recycle effect.

That's why many people remove them & when they get a Strat, they are missing. Because they were purposely removed & the player has played it so long w/o, that they probably don't even know if they have it anymore...

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
I think it was Hendrix, who figured that out. The thing about trem springs, is they add a sort of reverb to the guitar, naturally. When the plastic is holding in the vibrations, you get a funky reverberation from the plastic. If the cavity is open, it allows the vibrations to escape freely & you get less reverb/recycle effect.

That's why many people remove them & when they get a Strat, they are missing. Because they were purposely removed & the player has played it so long w/o, that they probably don't even know if they have it anymore...
I have noticed sometimes the guitar reverberating on my belly and shaking my intestines. It's a nice feeling. However, it only happens sometimes. Like the guitar decides then and there to do it and then when you play the same thing again, it doesn't do it. Like a mind of it's own.

What's that about?

WellBurnTheSky

Reaction score

Another reason is, when you're often changing strings, it's just easier leaving the plate off, plus it lets you adjust springs tension (especially if you trem is set to float).
I didn't even bother putting a plate on both my partscasters (as is the case on the Fender Eric Johnson Strat).